The Satch harmonic run - Not the Satch scream thing - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2001, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Ibanez endorsed

The Satch harmonic run - Not the Satch scream thing

Ok,

I know how to do the Satch scream thing. As a matter of fact a nice artificial harmonic on the 3rd string while using the whammy bar aint bad but try throwing in the WH-1 set for 2 octaves higher in there as well Now THATS a scream!! I have heard Satch do that one live as well.

Anyhow. He did this harmonic run on "The mystical potato head groove thing" and again on the beginning of "The Power Cosmic 2000- Part II. (I know its not the same one but its the same theory in practice).

My question. The tab books are always "not too descriptive" on how to do this. I know how to make the sound of the harmonics traveling down one or multiple strings (any hammer on and pull off around the 2nd to 4th fret while wiping the same string down with the other hand) but he is doing it in chordal patterns.

The book states to: "Hammer the notes on with the left hand while using the right hand to dampen the strings behind the left hand."

Now when they say "behind" do they mean actually behind the left hand down towards the first fret or do they mean behind like behind the left hand down towards the 22nd fret?

Anyone have a REAL CLEAR explanation of how to do this little completely SATCH :donnie: identifiable trick?

Thanks,

* * * Rikk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2001, 09:14 PM

The Satch harmonic run

Quote:
Quote: from rikkbeatty on 8:32 pm on Oct. 8, 2001

The book states to: "Hammer the notes on with the left hand while using the right hand to dampen the strings behind the left hand."

Now when they say "behind" do they mean actually behind the left hand down towards the first fret or do they mean behind like behind the left hand down towards the 22nd fret?
It's not a harmonic run: it's simply an extended (11th) arpeggio. They mean "behind" as in, your pick hand is literally in front of you, "crossed" over your fret hand (I'm a lefty so I don't use "left and right hand" terms to explain things to people ). Makes for great show/crowd-pleaser! You simply keep your pick hand on the strings lightly - on the first or second fret - (wrapping your thumb a little around the neck, but don't push too hard) and do the arpeggio completely one-handed. :biggrin:

It may seem hard at first, but a little practice will result in lots of progress. To tell you the truth, this is one of my favorite tricks and I can do it in my sleep.

Tip: Treat each group of three strings as an individual "unit." IE, your hand should be in one position for the first three strings, and then in another for the second (like arched back more somewhat or something like that).

Hope it helps,
-Justin

(Edited by sixstringphoenix at 9:23 pm on Oct. 8, 2001)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2001, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Ibanez endorsed

The Satch harmonic run

Thanks Justin.

I know the book labels the extended chord (arpeggio) as an extended *Cm11 but I look at it as 2 stacked 9 chords (arpeggios). *The first being a C9 (1,5,9) and the second half being a D#9 (1,5,9). That helps me keep them in position better. The 1,5,9 arpeggio has been around since the birth of hair bands so its a pretty well known and easy shape for hands to get use to.

I understand the trick then but I guess I dont understand how a harmonic sounds from hammering on the notes. I could be hearing it all wrong too. Maybe I am not hearing any harmonics at all? Maybe its my old age (26 yrs) catching up to me finally lol

So is it a harmonic tone that is produced from this then? If not then it really would not matter if you had your hand in the air (Angus) or on your hip (Vai) while playing the arpeggio. If THATS the case then I have been doing this for quite a while. I am hoping though that this is not the case and it does indeed produce a harmonic tone by having your hand lightly over the 2nd or 3rd fret.

Let me know!!

Rikk
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2001, 04:23 AM

The Satch harmonic run

The reason for putting the picking hand near the nut is just to dampen the strings so open notes don't ring out. *When you move to the G, B, E, strings, the low ones would normally make some noise. *The actual notes sounded w/ the fret hand aren't any different than a normal hammer/tap. *Hope that explains it adequately.

Jordan
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2001, 05:59 AM

The Satch harmonic run

Quote:
So is it a harmonic tone that is produced from this then? If not then it really would not matter if you had your hand in the air (Angus) or on your hip (Vai) while playing the arpeggio. If THATS the case then I have been doing this for quite a while. *I am hoping though that this is not the case and it does indeed produce a harmonic tone by having your hand lightly over the 2nd or 3rd fret.
Well pfft- it's all for show! Gotta do it for the audience, man!!! :biggrin:

-Justin
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2001, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Ibanez endorsed

The Satch harmonic run

lol

I know...the show factor.... It is a cool show thing to do. I am kinda bummed though because for some reson I always heard "harmonics".

I like doing the "Vai" thing where you start hitting a note then jump down and touch the whammy bar then immediately jump back with your hand and touch another note and keep going back and forth from touching the fret board to touching the whammy bar (usually at the end of a song). It makes people look at you and wonder how the hell you know which notes you are hitting because you are going back and forth so fast. It just ........."looks cool". *:biggrin: *I am trying to remember which song Vai does it on the G3 DVD.

Anyhow the stage presence MUST be as cool as the performance to REALLY get the audience going. (Hell some pople stage presence is BETTER than their performance and they get the audience going). Vai is DEFINITELY the master of stage performance IMHO. *......... all hail Vai...... *lol :cheesy:

(Edited by rikkbeatty at 9:20 am on Oct. 9, 2001)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2001, 12:03 PM

Reviews: 5
The Satch harmonic run

could someone post some tab for me? *I'd like to try the satch thing
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2001, 03:51 PM

The Satch harmonic run

Here you go Chris. A link to the MIDI file is also on that page. I added a metronome-like click to the second part, because it's hard to follow the accents without it. Have fun!

-Justin

(Edited by sixstringphoenix at 3:52 pm on Oct. 9, 2001)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2001, 09:52 PM

Reviews: 5
The Satch harmonic run

Quote:
Quote: from rikkbeatty on 11:17 am on Oct. 9, 2001
I like doing the "Vai" thing where you start hitting a note then jump down and touch the whammy bar then immediately jump back with your hand and touch another note and keep going back and forth from touching the fret board to touching the whammy bar (usually at the end of a song). It makes people look at you and wonder how the hell you know which notes you are hitting because you are going back and forth so fast. It just ........."looks cool". *:biggrin: *I am trying to remember which song Vai does it on the G3 DVD.
If you're talking about the same thing I'm thinking, Vai does it at the end of "Answers".
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2001, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Ibanez endorsed

The Satch harmonic run

Yup thats it!!! I just watched the DVD *:-) *

Tags
fret board

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode