Satriani Sues Coldplay - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 216 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Satriani Sues Coldplay

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081205/...nm/us_coldplay

Jemsiters brought this up a while ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 216 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Re: Satriani Sues Coldplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ofFw9DKu_I
post #3 of 216 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 09:50 AM

Wow, I can't believe Joe actually seud them!

I don't know what to think of this. I mean, I don't think Coldplay actually ripped Joe off. I just think it's a coincidence.

It's very much possible that Coldplay had never even heard the Satch song at the time they wrote Viva la vida. I mean suppose that is the case, then do they deserve to be sued? I don't think so.

I think it's kind of a waste of time to sue them. Joe could spend the time he's putting into this whole thing in countless better ways.
post #4 of 216 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 09:55 AM

Reviews: 18

I hope Joe wins. There is absolutely no way that those losers from coldplay didn't know the song. Personally, I think that coldplay should give money to Joe for messing up such a great song.

Jimmy
post #5 of 216 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 10:01 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Satriani Sues Coldplay

It doesn't matter whether they meant to do it or not. It seems like there are enough notes per measure that are similar to warrant looking at it closely. Ignorance on a subject is never an excuse...

If I had never heard of Twister, and created a game called Switter using the colors orange-pink-purple-green, which then went on to make a lot of money, I'll bet the manufactures would sue me to take my product off the market or to get a percentage.
post #6 of 216 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 10:13 AM

That does make sense in a way, DT666. But I dunno... I mean, I think that Joe doesn't have to sue Coldplay for money concerns. I don't think the presence of the Coldplay song will negatively affect sales of his works in any way. So I don't see the point of sueing, really.
post #7 of 216 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 10:21 AM

win or not i bet is good publicity for Joe..

hope he wins...he´s such a nice dude.
post #8 of 216 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 10:23 AM

Reviews: 59

I hope he wins too. I listened to the you tube stuff when jemsiters brought it up months ago and it's impossible to ignore the similarities.
post #9 of 216 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rublalup View Post
he´s such a nice dude.
Joe is a nice dude. That's why I'm surprised to hear of this sue. It just strikes me as kind of a childish thing.

It can't be about money, so what is it about?

Last edited by Myst and rain; 12-05-2008 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Added the fourth sentance. Typo (I can't be about money...). Another typo (I just strikes me...).
post #10 of 216 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 10:34 AM

I agree. Also, why now since we've known about this for months and while Joe's been on a tour, I doubt anyone wouldn't mention it to him or that he totally missed the Coldplay promo commercials.
post #11 of 216 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 10:37 AM

The more I think about it, the more it seems like a record company issue more than a Joe issue.
post #12 of 216 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 10:41 AM

Someone who went to the recent Joe clinics said that Joe was asked about Viva la vida during them. I wonder how he responded at that time.
post #13 of 216 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 10:41 AM

I shall watch with fascination
post #14 of 216 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth55 View Post
The more I think about it, the more it seems like a record company issue more than a Joe issue.
Yeah, but then the headline would have read "Epic records sues Coldplay", I think.
post #15 of 216 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 10:50 AM

I hope Joe wins, and he knows music so I think he would know if he has a chance or not. I don't think it's about money for him, I think it's about integrity. He is a musician that has worked his ass off to make his career last. In the face of musical styles that are at odds with his for the good part of the last 20 years too. I would be pretty pissed at whoever used my melodies without my permission, I wouldn't be upset about money or anything, just that I wrote it I should be acknowledged for doing so. A very large pop act has no right to steal or ignorantly use it to make a hit that is used in advertising and whatnot without any mention of the song's actually writer.

Some people I showed the similarities to said "It's not very similar," I said, "buy a hearing aid."

Tags
sat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode