Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Saw 'Ace' Frehley

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  ButchRG 
#1 ·
Went with a friend. Not a real big KISS fan but I dig some of their tunes.

It was LOUD! 19 Marshall-type 4x4's barking full tilt the whole night. I stuffed bits 'o' bar napkin in my ears...kinda helped but not really.

Cold Gin was killer. He did Duce. In all, about a dozen KISS tunes and most of his solo album.

It was free so I dug it, I wouldn't have gone on my own.

My apologies for the cheezball camera pics; what the heck, it's a freebie!

Ace played this killer 3-tone-3-pickup Les Paul all night. The 2nd guitarist had the same, only black. Nice gear. The bassist had a black P-bass that looked good and his own wall-o-10 x 10's. The backup band knew their stuff...a good gig. I watched them as much as 'Ace'.

Being a mercenary like that would be a grueling but good experience to hone serious chops, stage manners & a pro attitude. I learned alot just watching.

So I guess you could say I did get something positive out of it.

Enjoy!

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for the pics and the summary of the show. I haven't seen or heard Ace in many years. It's nice to see him out playing again.

Love him or hate him, there's no denying Ace Frehley's impact on guitar players and rock music in general. For millions of kids during that era (myself included), Ace and Kiss were the reason they started playing guitar.

#4 ·
Ace was the loudest show I ever saw, too.
I had earplugs in and my ears were still ringing for the rest of the night.
Great show.

My fave part of the night was his "interaction" with the crowd.
"How may of you people have been in jail?"
*silence*
"huh, well I have, it SUCKS"
"Here's one called BREAK OUT ! ! !"

#7 ·
I saw them here in Denver a few weeks ago, it was a great show! I wouldn't have gone but I was on the guest list and I was glad I did. The bass player is Anthony Esposito that was with the Lynch Mob, the drummer is Scot Coogan who played with Brides of Destruction, basically a killer band, and all of them were really nice guys. If you get the chance and are into Kiss or Ace's music, go, you won't be disappointed.

-R

#10 ·
Damn! You mean that for all those years I stared at that pic on my wall, that it wasn't even "the real" Ace? Do you mean to tell me that I started playing guitar because of the backup guy? An UNDERSTUDY?????

It's Ace. They didn't start using the poor schmuck dressed as him until 5 or 6 years ago. That shot was taken long before Kiss became a parody of itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.