Seeing Mr. Big Tonight - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Seeing Mr. Big Tonight

Just noticed last Thursday that they are playing in my area tonight. Then I realized I've never seen Mr. Big. Have seen Sheehan countless times and Gilbert on the G3 tour, but never Mr. big. Anyway, looking forward to shredding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 05:44 PM

Reviews: 10
Re: Seeing Mr. Big Tonight

nice - that should be a great show!!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 07:03 PM

It should be a great show. Post a concert review.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 04:00 PM

Seen them several times over the years. Superb band!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, Mr. Big is way underated. They should be bigger than they are. It was a great show. Of course, Sheehan and Gilbert were fantastic. They play stuff that borders on the completely mind boggling. But all of that is surrounded by great songs.

Eric Martin is a great singer. Sometimes you see these older guys and their voice isn't what it used to be. Not so with Eric. He sounded great last night.

The replacement drummer (Matt Starr) was good. Even better was he was joined by Pat Torpey on percussion for a lot of songs. Plus, he played drums on one song, and sang lead vocals on Judas Priest's "Living After Midnight". Class move to include Pat on the tour. They could have just ditched him after learning about his condition, but it's obvious they want him to be a part of the band for as long as he can.

All in all, a great show. A good mix of past hits with new songs. They played for over two hours, definitely giving the crowd their money's worth. The guy mixing the sound was pro, could hear all the instruments and vocals perfectly.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 06:28 PM

I didn't realize Pat Torpey had Parkinsons...he's only 55...that's so sad

They did living after midnight? cool =)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
I didn't realize Pat Torpey had Parkinsons...he's only 55...that's so sad

They did living after midnight? cool =)
Yes, and they did it with Gilbert on drums, Sheehan and Starr on guitars, Martin on bass, and Torpey on lead vocals. And they did it better than any cover band I've heard do it.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Oh, something I meant to mention earlier, Paul wasn't wearing his usual ear protection. It looked like he had something in his ears, but it might have been monitors.

Also, when they were finished playing, I checked out Paul's pedal board. Notable was an old MXR Distortion Plus. It's funny to think that with all the options available with distortion pedals these days, Paul rolls with one that has two knobs. Also saw an old script MXR Phase 90. His chorus pedal is a TC Electronics, like the kind Eric Johnson uses.

Last edited by therightjem; 02-18-2015 at 10:31 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therightjem View Post
Yes, and they did it with Gilbert on drums, Sheehan and Starr on guitars, Martin on bass, and Torpey on lead vocals. And they did it better than any cover band I've heard do it.
Gilbert on drums? ...wow, that's crazy...but fun that they can mix it up like that...sounds like that would have been a great concert! that's pretty cool that you were able to get up close enough to check out Paul's pedal board

Tags
billy sheehan , mr. big. , paul gilbert

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode