Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Seemingly simple riff kickin my butt.

3K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Darin 
#1 ·
Part of a song I need to nail spot on in a month at blazing speed. I usually just do it "pull off" style. But picked sounds better, and correct. There is just something about this that's really hard for me. Not the picking speed, or the fingering, but together......it's a train wreck. I think because it's a sextuplet?

--5-4-2---------5-4-2---------5-4-2----------------------
---------5-4-2----------5-4-2--------5-4-2---------------
----------------------------------------------4-2-1-----
-----------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------

You give it a try and let me know what you think. Accents on the A

#6 ·
In that case it would be triplets, sextuplets would equate to 12 notes / sec.

I actually practiced similar shapes to get my string to string transitions sharper. It is well possible your difficulties are caused by the same thing. Keep going over the first section to get the transitions down, play it in all permutations on different strings ( you might want to try them with a string skip ). gradually increase the tempo untill you are at speed. Sorry, no shortcuts..

#10 ·
I could do it in my sleep!!!!

Shame i couldn't do it when i woke up though :razz:
:lol: You never fail to give me a good laugh Andy:lol:

Start with a slower tempo (whatever tempo you are currently able to play it cleanly) and just keep working it up until you finally get it played at the desired speed cleanly. I've seen Vai doing exactly the same thing on difficult passages and not long ago I worked on a difficult rhythm part that was around 120BPM playing 1/16 notes. It took sometime to get it up to speed cleanly but slow steady work paid off.

Make a clip when it starts to come togther for you ;)

~Bones

#12 ·
I tried this lick out, and if it's at 120 bpm and sextuplets, I would suggest what Todd (screamndemon69) said. Just practice with a metronome.

I got to about 200 on triplets after only a few minutes, so I'm sure if you're a seasoned guitar player, you should have no problem.

I hate metronomes, but sometimes they are a good tool for getting stuff done.

I wouldn't suggest economy picking, although I tried a few variations, i.e. starting on an upstroke, etc...

#16 ·
Darin, if you've got a month to polish the lick, definintely try using a metronome and start slow, then build your speed. Since you have a good technique to begin with, you'll have no trouble getting 120bpm in less time than your deadline requires. I think I might try this lick when I get home, though I can already see that I'm going have a pita time when switching strings (I've been playing for a long time but I'm can't do fast speeds to save my life).

Jimmy:smile:

#19 ·
Cool clip, it made me think of something, it would be mildly funny to record a passage 100% sober, then record the passage after 1-2 beers, then 1-2 more and so on until it basically can no longer be played just to hear the difference in playing after consumption of alchohol and the affects it has on playing. I've seen this done with driving with fairly humorous results. Any takers? ;)

~Bones

#21 ·
:lol:

Yep, I know. I've listened to my own stuff recorded early in the night and then it gets sloppier as the night progresss and the alchohol consumption goes up;)

~Bones

#23 ·
I discovered something by playing it slow. First, it's not triplets, it's groups of 6. And only on the first 12 notes. The last nine are triplets of some kind.

Listen to this. I played it twice. The 1st time is wrong. When you get to the end of the phrase, it's not right at the of the measure. Count along and you'll see. The 2nd time, I play the last group of 9 notes faster, taking the same space as the 6 played before (I think). Making it end on the right beat.

http://christianbattleofthebands.com/wrongright.mp3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.