Serious Question for You Guys and Ladies! - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2003, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
Serious Question for You Guys and Ladies!

I've been approached several times in regards to making these lessons available in print or online. I've always shied away from such a move for two reasons:

A. I don't do this for the money

B. I don't have tons of time to devote to such a project

But I've been consistently asked for these lessons to be collected, edited, expanded etc. So here's my question for you folks.

I'm considering collecting all the lessons and formatting them to HTML and creating media support materials. Each lesson would include text, tablature, audio, and video.

Would you be interested in these lessons collected and formatted with tablature in plain text, and PowerTab? Then passaged would be available to listen on mp3 and .wav and then video of the lesson also? I would likely create a "Web Site on CD" format where you could open the main page and navigate through each lesson and multimedia package by way of hyperlink.

What do you guys think? If this is desireable, I'll start looking at making it available. As I said, I didn't write these lessons with the intent of making money on them, and I'm not going to start, so if they become a reality, I guarantee they'll be cheaper than anything out there

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 04:08 AM

Hmmm, it's a tough job, and there already is lots of good lesson material similar to yours available, but if there's a demand like you said and you feel like going for it, I wish you the best of luck with the project.

Just one tiny point: What happened to standard notation?

Am I so old-school that I still cling to such an ancient from of music writing?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 04:47 AM

Great idea! Your earlier work here on jemsite is much appreciated by me (and many others Iīm sure)

I really dig PowerTab. Iīm a lazy [email protected]*tard who canīt "read" music, I used to know it, but one have to do it all the time to keep it up, and I donīt have the time nor the desire nowadays.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Orange
Hmmm, it's a tough job, and there already is lots of good lesson material similar to yours available, but if there's a demand like you said and you feel like going for it, I wish you the best of luck with the project.

Just one tiny point: What happened to standard notation?

Am I so old-school that I still cling to such an ancient from of music writing?
Nope. not going to do standard notation for 2 reasons:

1. I don't subscribe to that arrogant stance that some theory teachers adhear to that music must be written in standard notation. I realize it has it's place, but not in this arena. Additionally, the majority of folks around here don't read standard notation. The purpose of the lessons isn't only to help those with previous knowledge, but everyone

2. I personally don't like it. It's vague and lends little insight as to the specifics as to how a guitarist ought to play the piece. Tab is much more descriptive and helpful to a guitarist IMO.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 01:29 AM

I'd love to see this happen. I keep meaning to download all your lessons form here and print them out, but I've been too lazy so far.

FWIW,
-bill
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 05:45 AM

I have to disagree on these matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7vwh

1. I don't subscribe to that arrogant stance that some theory teachers adhear to that music must be written in standard notation.
Pinheads are pinheads; but standard notation provides more information than tab. Rhythmic patterns and song form are more easily percieved, as is the harmonic context, ie. the relationship of the melody line/lick to the harmony. Of course you have to have some basic knowledge of music theory, but hey, it's not that hard.

Quote:
2. I personally don't like it. It's vague and lends little insight as to the specifics as to how a guitarist ought to play the piece. Tab is much more descriptive and helpful to a guitarist IMO.
Oh, the fingerings? You can always add them, finger number and position (indicated with a roman numeral. Not to be confused with Ed. ). Plus, not everybody's physique is the same, f.ex. that Symphony-x guy had to use tapping to play Holdsworth lines that involve insane stretches. You just might come up with a way to play the lines in a way more suitable for you, and maybe even derive new stuff from your "mistakes" (a la Becker).

That's not to diss tab, but to point out the possibilities and advantages of them (tab & notation) combined.

But, if the situation is "no sir, he doesn't like it", I'm afraid that my opinions are somewhat irrelevant.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 09:04 AM

I'd say: Powertab. Standard notation and Tablature combined. And it's free.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 12:59 PM

Reviews: 2
It'd be somethin like this?! www.marcelcoenen.com (Head for the 'instruction'-page!)

This dude was voted best Dutch guitarist a few years ago I recon. He's damn good if you ask me but I don't really dig his music though.

As you can see, on his website, he has a few lessons posted all of which with:
- Some insight about the lesson/lick.
- Guitar Pro / PowerTab (tab/standard) notation file.
- Guitar Pro / PowerTab (tab/standard) notation screenshots.
- Real Video.

Would be cool stuff if you were willing to make something like that!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2003, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Orange
I have to disagree on these matters.

Quote:

1. I don't subscribe to that arrogant stance that some theory teachers adhear to that music must be written in standard notation.
Pinheads are pinheads; but standard notation provides more information than tab. Rhythmic patterns and song form are more easily percieved, as is the harmonic context, ie. the relationship of the melody line/lick to the harmony. Of course you have to have some basic knowledge of music theory, but hey, it's not that hard.

Quote:
Oh, the fingerings? You can always add them, finger number and position (indicated with a roman numeral. Not to be confused with Ed. ). Plus, not everybody's physique is the same, f.ex. that Symphony-x guy had to use tapping to play Holdsworth lines that involve insane stretches. You just might come up with a way to play the lines in a way more suitable for you, and maybe even derive new stuff from your "mistakes" (a la Becker).

That's not to diss tab, but to point out the possibilities and advantages of them (tab & notation) combined.

But, if the situation is "no sir, he doesn't like it", I'm afraid that my opinions are somewhat irrelevant.
Ditto.

Mr. Orange, you read my mind to the letter. I was about to type this exact same reply, but I found you'd beaten me to it as I scrolled down.

The rhythmic values, harmonic environment, and harmonic implications of the melody within the music are completely avoided in tab. Standard notation can be extremely expressive if the person who's notating the score is imaginative and creative with his expression marks. Its the same thing with piano music: you can have a "straight" score, with no pedal markings, expressivo, dynamics, etc., that doesn't sound ANYTHING like how a trained pianist would play it, or you can have a really expressive, score that shows you exactly what to play and how to play it the way the composer intended.

That being said, tab can be supplied, but as a supplementary fingering chart to show how *you* want to perform the music (although, as Mr. Orange said, fingering and position can be applied to score of standard notation). However, after beginning with tab and now using standard notation for my music, I feel that standard notation is a more complete and expressive way of delivering music the way the composer intended, if the person doing the notation wants to take the time to work out a way of delivering the expressition through writing.

Just ask Steve Vai, he'd say the same thing

As for people who don't know how to read notation, tab is extremely useful to show "where to put the fingers," but as far as delivering harmonic and rhythmic information, as well as information regarding how the melody fits into those two, its pretty useless.

Both can be better, I say, as opposed to choosing one over the other.

K
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

as stated in the original post, the music would be posted in PowerTab which includes all your rhythmic notation and song structure are preserved, but in modern format that suits the guitar. In addition to that, anyone who's ever tried to learn challenging music by manuscript ("Blue Powder" for myself) is likely to agree with me that TAB is a gift from the gods

Anyhoo- I wasn't really looking for your suggestions in terms of notation- if I'm doing it, it'll be in PowerTab- period. I was more interested in evaluating demand, and gathering interest in what people want for future lessons.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 04:52 AM

I guess I got carried away with the notation thing.

Yeah, it seems that many people like your lessons, enjoy your down-to-earth style and relate to your style of music, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to explore the option of expanding your lessons into print form (CD-ROM might not be a bad idea either, as you could include audio/MIDI examples and maybe even video). Go for it, I say.

K
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 09:23 AM

Reviews: 2
Yo! The new version of Guitar Pro features BOTH tab and standard notation... You tab your stuff, and the notation gets written down automatically. I don't know if it's all correct and what you guys want though, since I cannot read standard notation.

I want to learn it some day, but let me learn how to play first!

www.guitar-pro.com GO GET IT!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 11:45 AM

Quote:

1. I don't subscribe to that arrogant stance that some theory teachers adhear to that music must be written in standard notation. I realize it has it's place, but not in this arena. Additionally, the majority of folks around here don't read standard notation. The purpose of the lessons isn't only to help those with previous knowledge, but everyone

Amen!

Combined, Standard notation with tab, gives you the notes and tells you how to play them, but either on thier own is very frustrating- just check out tabcrawler, or jazz guitar instruction books, both completely incomprehensible!

Tags
steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode