Shawn Lane - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Eco

Shawn Lane

Holy ****, I've heard a few people talk about him on here but never really heard him play, so i decided to hit up some vids on youtube.

Oh my god, he totally blows just about anyone else i've heard out of the water for technical ability.

I know Dee will be able to answer this, but can anyone recommend any of his stuff which jumps out from the rest? although all of its awesome so far.

Thanks to you guys at Jemsite for introducing me to him
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 07:00 PM

Re: Shawn Lane

Powers of Ten..... that's about the best! Anyway, Shawn sucked.... just ask Dee!
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 07:02 PM

You may not find any stuff in HMV or Virgin!!!!!
post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 07:11 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco View Post
Holy ****, I've heard a few people talk about him on here but never really heard him play, so i decided to hit up some vids on youtube.

Oh my god, he totally blows just about anyone else i've heard out of the water for technical ability.

I know Dee will be able to answer this, but can anyone recommend any of his stuff which jumps out from the rest? although all of its awesome so far.

Thanks to you guys at Jemsite for introducing me to him
Wow, it makes a change to see SL get some recognition. Powers of Ten, for me, was his greatest album, but next up check out The Tri-Tone Fascination album too. Once you've digested those, look into his work with Jonas Hellborg and Jeff Sipe.

I like this thread.

Here's a link for you:

http://theshawnlaneforum.forumup.com...shawnlaneforum
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemplayer55 View Post
Anyway, Shawn sucked.... just ask Dee!
Lol..... good one Mikey

I'm still learning more about him myself, Eco from what I've seen so far, I REALLY like some of his stuff and I REALLY DON'T like some of his stuff

Regardless, it's nice to see him getting some deserved recognition.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 07:48 PM

PoT and TTF are two of my favorites by him. The HLS is great too.

I take lessons from his former friend and guitar tech, so I'm in Shawn Lane land every week

Most of his Youtube videos don't do him justice.

Here is Shawn's fan forum:

http://donniebshawn.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/index.php
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 07:53 PM
Dee

I can understand what you're saying Jim, there is quite a range of stuff to dig through, and it's all quite different. PoT and Tri-Tone are probably the most "straight-ahead" albums he did (although they are very different from each other), and they are probably the most easily digestible to most of the people here on Jemsite. Later on he started getting into Indian and Pakistan music styles, and then he got even deeper into those styles and played full-on Indian music! At first it was strange to me, but gradually I grew to really like some of those albums. There's a time and a place for them, and I have to be in the right mood to listen, but I do enjoy the change from traditional Western music sometimes. It's refreshing to hear the electric guitar being played in that kind of situation.

As I said, I can understand why some people won't like those as much as the straight-ahead stuff, but do give them a chance to grow on you if you can ever get to hear them.

There's one more SL album I haven't heard, it's one he did with Hellborg and Sipe called Temporal Analogues of Paradise. I need to buy that soon.

Wade: Thanks for the link. I kept meaning to register there. I used to be a lurker but I just registered now.
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 08:19 PM

Yeah, he and Buckethead REALLY fly off the handle. Powers of Ten is cool - the cassette is a DIFFERENT mix than the cd, which is kind of weird. But anyhow, RIP. I remember when he died, and the world really lost an unknown great. . . Keep his spirit alive - very tonal guy!
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 08:43 PM
Dee

I never knew the cassette was a different mix. Interesting. I'll have to try and find me one.
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
I never knew the cassette was a different mix. Interesting. I'll have to try and find me one.
Yep, they're pretty rare though.
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 02:24 AM

The original CD's of P.O.T. are getting very hard to find. I purchased my first copy back in "92 or "93"" I think. Had the damn thing forever. Then several years back I got home from the race track and forgot to lock up the dually. A couple of days later I noticed my CD case was missing along with the change from the center console..... nothing else. Long story short (a little late for that) I searched for a couple of months before I found another original copy. It cost me like $35.00 but was worth every penny. I think I paid like $9.95 for my first one. I'm not sure, but if I recall correctly P.O.T. only had like 200,000 prints. Besides P.O.T. Live isn't nearly as good as what he did in his home studio.
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 08:36 AM
Dee

Ass kickin solos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2Bb67nem4U

I never heard a Les Paul sound like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NLa3hh1tOU&NR=1

Last edited by Dee; 05-26-2007 at 08:49 AM.
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 11:18 AM
dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemplayer55 View Post
The original CD's of P.O.T. are getting very hard to find.
Couple of months ago they were on sale on the Shawn Lane page.

http://www.shawnlane.com/index2.html

Looks like they have run out of the Powers of Ten copies but the tri-tone fascination and POT Live are available for $23 each.
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 01:09 PM

I'm still unsure whether I like Shawn Lane. I got to admit he's a monster player and very talented. I've liked some of the stuff posted over here on Jemsite recently and hated some of the other stuff, suppose you can't really make a sound judgement solely on watching youtube vids. I suppose I'll just have to buy a couple of his albums to decide
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 02:29 PM
Dee

Shawn at 17 years old: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvNlPyxDX5I

It's funny to think that the guy had only been playing guitars 7 years at this point. Makes me sick! LOL. Look how refined his techniques are. Jeez. 1980.

Last edited by Dee; 05-26-2007 at 02:35 PM.

Tags
brett garsed , chord progression , chord progressions , electric guitar , guitar tech , john coltrane , les paul , mike stern , playing guitar , rob balducci , scott henderson , shawn lane , tony macalpine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in