Should I listen to Pop-Rock? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Should I listen to Pop-Rock?

In your most honest opinion, what do you think of Pop-Rock (Simple Plan, New Found Glory, Good Charlotte, etc). I listen to music by Cream, Vai, Dream Theater, SRV, Clapton, Jeff Beck, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and well you get the picture. Yet my friends in school think that the music I listen to is outdated and uncool . Well, they think that Simple Plan and Good Charlotte rock. Do you guys think that I should give in to what they say and join the common teenage rabble? Or do I should just keep playin' along to Whole Lotta Love on my six-string? Please help. I really need to hear any comments from you guys (positive and negative).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 12:32 PM

Re: Should I listen to Pop-Rock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze_1
In your most honest opinion, what do you think of Pop-Rock (Simple Plan, New Found Glory, Good Charlotte, etc). I listen to music by Cream, Vai, Dream Theater, SRV, Clapton, Jeff Beck, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and well you get the picture. Yet my friends in school think that the music I listen to is outdated and uncool . Well, they think that Simple Plan and Good Charlotte rock. Do you guys think that I should give in to what they say and join the common teenage rabble? Or do I should just keep playin' along to Whole Lotta Love on my six-string? Please help. I really need to hear any comments from you guys (positive and negative).
Oh come on dude.....you actually need someone to tell you what to listen too??

Listen to your heart and it will tell you what kind of music you want to hear. Listen to what you like. Obviously, from your list of fav's you are WAY cooler than your cronies Feck the Pop rock ~crap~ Never give in to peer pressure Keep listening to what you are and don't listen to your UnCool friends. And you know what???? Probably half of them (inside anyway) Like your kinds of music better. They are just listening to the other crap because it's the cool thing to do in other kids eyes......BE DIFFERENT....you'll be far better off in the end
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I say yes, listen to it.

You should at least try listening to it like you should try listening to ALL sorts of music.

For heavens sake don't dismiss it because it's mainstream! If you listen to pop and R+B music you'll find some superb ideas for clean rhythms and funk based playing that otherwise you might miss.

If you've listened to a couple of CDs by your mates' favourite bands THEN sat down and decided that pop-metal's catchy riffs and hook-ridden choruses aren't for you then that's fine. But don't just refuse to do it because you want to be different, that's just cutting off your nose to spite your face.
jono is online  
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 05:10 PM

Reviews: 5

absolutely listen to everything you can. Then form your own opinions.

If someone says, "hey you should really listen to...." then give it a listen. If you like it, keep listening. If it sucks, don't. But you can only benefit by having a broad range of influences.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7vwh
absolutely listen to everything you can. Then form your own opinions.

If someone says, "hey you should really listen to...." then give it a listen. If you like it, keep listening. If it sucks, don't. But you can only benefit by having a broad range of influences.
DITTO !

Regards

André

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 01:19 PM

I say if you need our opinions, then you are worthy of talentless-creativeless-trash pop music

Give it a listen, if you are like me and can't stand the stuff, then mor e power to you.... and if you actually like it, then more power to you as well!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 03:27 PM

In my opinion, Good Charlotte, Simple Plan etc etc has no substance and is best listened to by 12 year old gilrs who also would have enjoyed Hanson, New Kids on the Block, N SYNC, Lindsey Lohan, etc etc.
But ultimately if you like it, listen to it.

Last edited by elcid; 08-01-2005 at 03:33 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 03:43 PM

Listen dude, when I was 12 I was listening to Thin Lizzy and Zeppelin, while everyone else was listening to Limp Bizkit and Eminem. when I was about 14 I started listening to instrumental stuff, Eric Johnson, Steve Vai, Al Di Meola, etc. While my friends were listening to Metallica or Nirvana or whatever. While I didn't care for the music particularly, I listened to anything I could find to take some musical ideas from. Metallica maybe over rated and somewhat sloopy but hey can make alot of people relate to what they're playing, same as Nirvana. This is a skill alot of musicians lack, and its something I always tried to be mindful of. So have an open mind and be willing to listen.

But while I think this, I can't say that listening to ANY of what you mentioned will be of any value to you musically. Its all pure crap in my oppinion.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid
In my opinion, Good Charlotte, Simple Plan etc etc has no substance and is best listened to by 12 year old gilrs who also would have enjoyed Hanson, New Kids on the Block, N SYNC, Lindsey Lohan, etc etc.
But ultimately if you like it, listen to it.
You're giving me the shivers dude .

Regards

André

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 05:59 PM

There is value in catchy pop. I don't listen to any of the bands you mentioned, but I DIG Bowling for Soup, and they're pop. Sorta punky pop. But very cool, IMO.

I was a metalhead/shredder back in the 80's, and I looked down my nose at the cheezy pop that my classmates listened to. Know what? There were lots of good tunes there. Now I look on some of it with affection (though yeah - I think some of it still sucks).

Music is a form of communication, and it's no better to be obscure or hard to listen to on purpose than to be simple. Mahavishnu Orchestra is not necessarily better than BB King. And Dream Theater is not necessarily better than AC/DC. Or Good Charlotte.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

I actually DO listen to Pop-rock sometimes. I used to like it a while back. I guess I got tired of nasly, whiney voices singing about how life sucks and they practically can't do about it to change it (okay, okay, this doesn't apply to all pop-rock musicians, just the ones I find annoying). I occasionally listen to R&B, Soul and funk. Anyway thanks guys for posting your insightful comments.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2005, 10:51 AM
Contributor

Reviews: 1
Cool Re: Should I listen to Pop-Rock?

Stay far away.

I've heard that if you listen to this stuff for any period of time your ears turn green and eventually your nose falls off as you slowly turn into Michael Jackson.
Before you know it you're joining the Britney Fan Club on line
and wishing you could play like cool guitar music like The White Stripes...
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic
Stay far away.

I've heard that if you listen to this stuff for any period of time your ears turn green and eventually your nose falls off as you slowly turn into Michael Jackson.
Before you know it you're joining the Britney Fan Club on line
and wishing you could play like cool guitar music like The White Stripes...
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 12:41 PM

Reviews: 6

I had to deal with the same nonsense when i was in high school. Eventually you will be the best guitar player in your school because you're studying good music instead of mindless 3-chord generic rock. I became the best guitarist in the school and suddenly all the kids who're playing good charlotte are wondering why all the chicks seem more interested in my ability to play really well (i kid you not!) Have no fear my friend the first time you step on stage with a band at a school talent show or something and absolutely rip and have all the ladies swooning over your magic fingers. They'll first fear you but with fear comes respect
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-07-2005, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemwielder
all the kids who're playing good charlotte are wondering why all the chicks seem more interested in my ability to play really well (i kid you not!) Have no fear my friend the first time you step on stage with a band at a school talent show or something and absolutely rip and have all the ladies swooning over your magic fingers. They'll first fear you but with fear comes respect
kindly share some phone numbers. thank you.

Tags
eric johnson , jeff beck , limp bizkit , pink floyd , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode