simon phillips - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

simon phillips

anyone ever listen? he's a drummer that has some great players (andy timmons) on his fusion albums. i recently got "another lifetime" and am really impressed. most of his melodies consist of a guitar doubled with a sax. check out cduniverse dot com for some sound clips if you are interested in some well-written jazz fusion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 07:29 AM

Re: simon phillips

I know Simon Phillips, drummer for Toto now and is very good drummer. I haven't heard his solo albums, maybe I should.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 09:06 AM

Check out Los Lobotomies - a project he did with Steve Lukather. Jeff Porcaro was on the first, more fusiony, CD but Simon took Jeff's place when Jeff died in the "bizarre gardening accident". The CD is called Candyman and it's got great songs on it. All killer, no filler.

It's melodic rock, good songs, not too much chops nonsense. A couple of Hendrix covers too. His version of Red House ends in a way that i think a lot of us here can relate to, but i won't give away the surprise. Defintely check it out!

~K
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 10:45 AM

Simon is a great drummer, Steve has used him on a couple tracks on various albums .

Regards

André

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe
"bizarre gardening accident"
whats that all about?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vette6600
whats that all about?
He had heart attack when he was spraying flowers in his garden. It's a shame that one of the best drummers in the world dies like that.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe
Check out Los Lobotomies - a project he did with Steve Lukather. Jeff Porcaro was on the first, more fusiony, CD but Simon took Jeff's place when Jeff died in the "bizarre gardening accident". The CD is called Candyman and it's got great songs on it. All killer, no filler.

It's melodic rock, good songs, not too much chops nonsense. A couple of Hendrix covers too. His version of Red House ends in a way that i think a lot of us here can relate to, but i won't give away the surprise. Defintely check it out!

~K
I thought Candyman was Lukather's solo album?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredfreak
He had heart attack when he was spraying flowers in his garden. It's a shame that one of the best drummers in the world dies like that.
It was a Spinal Tap reference as well

Quote:
Bizarre gardening accident

The manner of original Tap drummer John "Stumpy" Pepys's death in 1969. The idea of the "bizarre gardening accident" has entered the language and the popular imagination. It is rumoured that Jeff Porcaro, the drummer of Toto, may in fact have died in this way in 1992, eight years after the release of This Is Spinal Tap. One theory has it that Porcaro was spraying insecticide in his garden and inhaled too much, triggering a fatal heart attack. Ironically, Toto's lead guitarist, Steve Lukather, served as producer and guitarist on Spinal Tap's Break Like the Wind in the same year.
Candyman was released under the name 'Los Lobotomys' in the US. What they did anyplace is else is not known to me.

Simon also toured with 'The Best' back in the late 80s/early 90s. Does anybody else remember this? It was a japan-only thing. It was Philips, Keith Emerson (ELP), John Entwhistle (Who), Jeff "Skunk" baxter (Steely Dan, among others) and Joe Walsh (Eagles) with some fluffy haired singer. THey did covers of all the respective bands of the members. i have it on video

Cheers!
~K
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 06:36 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi
Simon is a great drummer, Steve has used him on a couple tracks on various albums .

Regards

André

+1. Simon is great; Joe's worked with him, too...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM5150
+1. Simon is great; Joe's worked with him, too...
That's right! He played drums in song I Believe from Flying In A Blue Dream album.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 10:52 AM

Nevermind!

Last edited by whatshisname; 01-03-2006 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Not enough sleep...
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 01:46 AM

Reviews: 4

He's also played on at least one track with Vai. Anyone know what that is? (You get... absolutely NOTHING if you do!)

He's an amazing drummer. He played on Derek Sherinian's CDs too (ex Dream Theater keyboard player - makes some truly amazing and sick metal/fusion CDs).

Tags
andy timmons , steve lukather

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode