site update - galleries - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2003, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

site update - galleries

hey y'all.

I just added a "galleries" section to clivemurray.com featuring mucho pics from: my support slot for rob balducci at the cornford club in kent, jemfest uk 2003, jemfest uk 2002, and the burning of the BBQ jem.

check it out here.

cheers!
--c.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2003, 08:25 PM

nice dude!!! the burning JEM is cool
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2003, 03:26 AM

Very cool indeed!
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2003, 05:41 AM

would you mind explaining the whole process and what you used to do it?
this makes me wanna burn an ol' strat
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2003, 08:36 AM

Clive, when I first saw that Blackmachine I thought it was this (supposed) Ibanez Nuno prototype:

Cool pics, though.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2003, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam669
would you mind explaining the whole process and what you used to do it?
this makes me wanna burn an ol' strat
hehe no problem.

you can skip the first phase (absinthe) as it didn't work very well, and proceed directly (once you've dismantled the guitar and removed all hardware) to the impact adhesive.

this stuff is very very flammable, so we chucked a load of it on the body, smeared it around with a spreader and then lit it (using an adhoc flamethrower consisting of a deodorant can and a cigarette lighter). if you really are going to do this, for god's sake be careful - if you get this glue on your hands and it sets on fire you're probably going to be in hospital before the day is out. keep buckets of water handy, plus saturated towels for putting the thing out.

we did the glue burn two or three times. one thing to watch out for - the neck pocket and the control cavity aren't painted, and so they start to crisp up too much too quick. try and keep the flames away from these areas. in hindsight, I'd probably find a way to hang the body the other way up.

the other thing to watch out for with the glue burn, is that you quickly reach a point where you think "hey that's really crispy and burnt" but in actual fact, you've just got a thick layer of gunky goo which is burnt glue and the finish hasn't been damaged at all. this is a bad thing since damaging the finish is the whole point.

also, the smoke this stuff gives off is thick and black. if it's at all windy, try and stand on the upwind side of the body.

for the third phase of the burn we used methylated spirits. chuck it all over the thing and light, but once again be damned careful not to get any on your hands. for pity's sake, DON'T use anything like petrol or paraffin. the fumes from that stuff can get in your clothes so that as soon as you light up, you go up in flames. seriously, don't do it.

the meths burn is characterised by a much less intense flame. compare the flames from a glue burn to those from a meths burn. it's still very cool, and if you want a less dramatic effect on the finish, you could just go for this stage.

so there you go - we made it all up as we went along, but I must say again, if you really are going to start setting fire to stuff for god's sake be careful. buckets of water, plenty of space round the thing, concrete floor... it's all common sense really, but bear it all in mind and all should go well.

disclaimer: I am not responsible for anything any of you do with guitars, flammable products, and fire. I don't want angry phone calls from friends or families telling me that because of me little jimmy covered his dad's 59 les paul in glue and set fire to it, losing his sight in the process. just like jackass, this was the work of trained idiots with plenty of safety precautions. mmm'kay?

--c.

Tags
les paul , rob balducci

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode