Smoother picking motion? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-18-2003, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Smoother picking motion?

Hi there. I have recently been practicing my left/right cordination and using a metronome to go chromaticly up the fretboard. Now im not that fast, i practice at the moment on about 92bpm and playing 4 notes per beat. Its not fast, but if i go higher im likly to make mistakes.
I use a normal alternate picking motion, and use Dunlop .71's (purple ones).

After a while of playing i seem to naturally get into a pattern of just moving over the string, rather than digging in to it.
But are there any other things i can do to make the attack on the strings smoother, therefore giving less resistance when moving across the strings? I try to somtimes hold my plectrum at an angle so it slices diagonaly, but any other things would be great.
Ta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 12:56 AM

Re: Smoother picking motion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirly
I try to somtimes hold my plectrum at an angle so it slices diagonaly, but any other things would be great.
Ta
That's what I try to do to gain a little more speed but sometimes I feel that you loose a little note definition when the pick's side just brushes against the string!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 07:51 AM

If you build up your finger strength, you can rely less on your picking hand, and more on hammer on sequences (with every finger), although in the end it's still a combination of the two.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 11:28 AM
Ash

Quote:
If you build up your finger strength, you can rely less on your picking hand, and more on hammer on sequences (with every finger), although in the end it's still a combination of the two.
Well, of course you could do that, but it's not picking! great exercize for legato though.
for the picking, what i do is start off really, rrreeeeaaaalllyyy, slowly, and play scales up and down in all positions (I usually use E minor pentatonic). when i'm done going through the shapes, i put the metronome up by one click, and do it over again. if you spend a half hour a day doing this, you should be able to pick like theres no tommorrow in a month or so!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 02:53 PM

Get a stylus pick and pick with that when you practice your chromatic excercises. It'll teach you how to properly pick and give your picking hand a 'memory' implant.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2003, 04:35 PM

Get a thicker pick -- at least 1.14 mm.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-12-2003, 04:10 PM

If you want to change your pick to get faster, try using Dunlop JazzIII's. They're tiny little picks and an aquired taste but once you get used to them you can control it way better than a normal-sized pick. I used to swear by 2mm picks until I got some of those.

Ooo, Shawn Lane and John Petrucci use them too and I'm not going to argue with them
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 02:28 AM

Wow, I didn't know any other guitar player in the world liked the 2mm picks. I love them! I was almost embarassed to mention it, though.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 03:30 AM

i was just wondering do u people consider a fast legato run with pick hammer hammer pick hammer hammer triplets alot easyer than picking every note??

i use legato alot for the beautiful fluid feeling and sound it gives, ala joe satriani, and i just love playing like that
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 07:38 AM

Fast legato runs definently have a different feel to straight picked runs, picked runs can sound much more aggressive. It's quite hard to get a totally fluid sound ascending when using hamer-ons. An interesting way of ascending with hammer-ons is to hammer-on with the first finger instead of picking
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 06:41 PM

i think the general consensus among the pick shredders is to generally use the paul gilbert/petrucci-ish sort of style.

Basically use a heavy pick like a jazz three (the black ones not the red ones) or a stubby. a light pick will always be a couple of mm behind your hand, hence you need to make bigger wrist movements to actually pick the string, and because you need to move your wrist more you abviously cant play as fast. (heavey pick smaller movements)

controll of attack is achieved by how much plectrum makes contact with the string. the lighter the contact the quieter the sound. To change attack or increase volume dont pick harder but rather move the pick towards the body of the guitar so that more pick moves accross the string..
more deflection of string = more volume.

generally if you use any pick for about two weeks you will become completely acoustomed to it, so dont let that put you off.

I personally prefere (Black) jazz3's cause they give a very recognizable petrucci sound.

Stubbies are slippier and are a great shred pick but i dont like the plastic sound the impart on the tone. I know lots of people who love em though.

best of luck

Steve
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 06:44 PM

oh and your best bet is to keep the pick as flat to the string as possible ... any kind of angle is just going to give you a scratchy sound to you picking.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 06:54 PM

Reviews: 1
personally...i hold my pick exactly perpendicular to the strings. That gives me a very well defined sound and I tend to dig in a tad just to give me that extra presense. The only way to get smoother playing is to practice your ass off. Theres no secret trick. The stronger your wrist and forearm get, the smoother your playing will feel and sound. And just as has been said before, dump the thin pick for a 1mm or heavier. I use fender nylon 1mm picks and I wouldnt think of using another. The things just refuse the wear out.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 12:51 PM

I was watching Zakk Wyde on Live At Buddokan and he seems to pick quite a bit with his elbow.

I always thought you were never meant to do that but I've tried it all the same and you can pick very smoothly although I'll admit you have a lot less control so more complex passages are a lot tougher.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2003, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Hmm.Ive been watching my picking hand in a mirror latly and i noticed that although i make very small movements i hold my Jazz III in the way that its at about 45 degrees to tjhe string, rather than exactly straight next to this. I realise that this effect the tone a bit but imo its not that bad, there arnt any other problems with this angle are there?

Tags
alternate picking , joe satriani , john petrucci , neck pickup , paul gilbert , shawn lane

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode