Ibanez JEM Forum banner

So Michael Amott Joined Dean

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  kotornut 
#1 ·
Well I got the story from Petie's blog http://iheartguitar.blogspot.com/

Well, for a long time I have had the thought that Dean sucks, I don't know if it's entirely true o not but I just think that. It didn't help that most of their endorsees were over the hill, over the top, dead (no offense to Dimebag), or just not quite true star level yet(Rusty Cooley). But this is a big one you know. He's young and his band is at the top of the metal game right now. I think it's strange too, because ESP seems to be such a willing to please the artist company but people have been leaving recently and not for any real reasons, at least none that they state. The press releae doesn't mention anything about why he left ESP, just like Mustaine's press release. What do you all think? Is Dean really a true up and coming guitar super power, are their guitar really amazing, or is it just good marketing prowess?

#2 ·
In a word, Money. Mustaine even said money and that he got more free guitars were big reasons he went with Dean. Im not reallysure how a company 20 years past their prime can be an up and coming super power. Bad mouthing your past endorsee would only make it harder to go back to them and make the guy llok like a schmuck for putting his name on something that all of a sudden isnt good enough for him. Who knows, maybe ESP gave him the boot.

#4 ·
well i like dean guitars but yes it is about money when it comes to thier endorsees. They do get more free guitars and dean has really come on strong pimping Dime's name to death. I own a razorback and really love it, however i didn't pay full price for it. They aren't worth it at full price. Of course i dont think you should pay more then 1500 for any guitar reguardless of make.

Anyways everyone that was on the dean forums knew he was going to dean and everyone that was a fan of his probably knew it as well.

Dean Z. split from dean guitars because he was tired of the Dime name being so capitalized on, and the business as usual philosophy that is being adopted. I will follow Dean Z. not Dean guitars. I say that and every DBZ model will be over 3k. which is regoddamnediclous. Either way Dean Z. is a cool guy and Dean guitars are nice albeit a bit overpriced.

#5 ·
Dean Z is a hell of a guy. I needed a few parts for a project I was working on and a friend of mine used to paint for Dean before they were almost all Korean made. He happend to be hanging out with Dean, and Dean gave the guy all the parts I needed. It's too bad that Dean guitars went almost all low end stuff. I know they have a higher end, but I cant imagine they have anywhere near the resale value of other guitars in the higher price range. If every DBZ is over $3k and he can get it, good for him. There are plenty of $300 Korean guitars out there. Quality stuff is expensive.

#7 ·
I read this today and I was kind of shocked. It seems like every big ESP name is becoming a big Dean named. I mean Mustaine, Amott, Nergal (not a big name but still a good player), why are all of them endorsing a rather mediocre guitar company in my opinion? I mean, yeah, free guitars are nice but if they aren't that great what's the point?

#8 ·
I love Michael Amott but I get the feeling he's going all George Lynch brand whoring on us. For those of you not in the know, he used to play Caparisons back in the 90s, don't know if he was endorsed tho. Then he got with ESP. In the early Carcass videos he played a red Ibanez RG550.

He's come a long way huh? Still, I love the guy.

EDIT: AND he also has a signature head with Randall despite using Peavey 5150s for the longest time with Arch Enemy. Hm. Anyone know what he used with Carcass?

#9 ·
Hey! Thanks for reading my blog!!! It seems to be doing pretty well - I'm just about to put up a proper logo and add the first mp3 guitar lesson, and there will be a huge Joe Satriani interview posted on the weekend where he talks about the new album and the Satchurator in depth.

I reviewed the Amott Ninja a couple of years ago and I really liked it - it's one of my favourite guitars I've reviewed. I hope ESP keeps something similar in the line-up, like how they continue to offer a V which is similar to the Dave Mustaine DV8 now that he's gone to Dean.

#10 ·
I love your blog it's part of my daily guitar readings. Keep it up.

I just hope it's not as ugly as the other deans. It's weird though I just saw Arch Enemy in like March, and they sounded amazing and his guitar was awesome. WHy do you change the formula I know ESP hooks their artists up. I think it's because he worships Schenker.

#13 ·
And he's using the Michael Schencker signature model... he doesn't get his own? wtf? i mean, i understand from his point of view, maximizing whatever he can get... but leaving your own sig model for someone else's? weirdo-tacular.

but yeah, dean guitars? i'm not fond of them no matter how many good players endorse their junk. especially with the way they are gold digging dimebag's dead, money-laden corpse.

then again if dean offered me a deal, i'd sign.

#14 ·
And he's using the Michael Schencker signature model... he doesn't get his own? wtf? i mean, i understand from his point of view, maximizing whatever he can get... but leaving your own sig model for someone else's? weirdo-tacular.

but yeah, dean guitars? i'm not fond of them no matter how many good players endorse their junk. especially with the way they are gold digging dimebag's dead, money-laden corpse.

then again if dean offered me a deal, i'd sign.
He'll get his own. I read about it Peties article. He is just using the Schencker for now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.