Solo to Fatal Tragedy - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Solo to Fatal Tragedy

At the beggining of the solo to Fatal Tragedy does he play it like this:

------------------------------
----------------4-5-7p5p4----
---4-5-7p5p4-----------------
-7------------7---------------

Or does he just pick the entire run?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 02:02 PM

Solo to Fatal Tragedy

I was reading an issue of Young Guitar where they anaylzed John's playing from SFAM. *They tabbed the solo to Fatal Tragedy the same way you did. *But when I looked at the official tab book, it indicates that all notes should be alternate picked. *Weird!? *I'm guessing the official tab is the right one. *That run does sound like that full alternate picking is being used...to my ears at least. *But then again, it is hard to tell because he plays it so fast.

But I don't think it would really make a difference which technique you'd use because I think you'll acheive the same kind effect either which way. * Doing the entire thing alternate- picked would be a good practice workout though.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 03:58 PM

Solo to Fatal Tragedy

Petrucci has always been a big believer in the alternate-picking thing. He vary rarely uses hammer-ons and pull-offs. It makes the faster passages sound tight. I was watching him closely during his recent G3 performance and he alternate picks everything!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 04:25 PM

Solo to Fatal Tragedy

I think that run is strictly alternate picking.....
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 05:52 PM

Solo to Fatal Tragedy

It sounds like alternate picking, but on John's site someone asked him about it and he said that he uses pull offs. *Personally I think it sounds better w/alternate picking but I can't play it at 136 bpm or whatever it is supposed to be at.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Solo to Fatal Tragedy

It's much easier for me to play it alternate picked because it's easier to be consistent and even.

I don't know why he had so much trouble with that solo on the SFAM DVD. It's not that hard, especially compared to some of his other work.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Solo to Fatal Tragedy

Yeah he does do the pull offs though...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2001, 09:24 AM

Solo to Fatal Tragedy

I agree that the alternate picking feels better, especially since I got into the habit of starting anything difficult with an up stroke. *I don't like playing hammer-pull stuff anymore even though that was all I practiced the whole time I was in college.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2001, 03:19 PM

Solo to Fatal Tragedy

when I play petrucci I use alternat for everything, I feel I get a more petrucci-esque sound that way, I alternate that whole solo except for the sweep near the end ......obviously

Tags
alternate picking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode