Squeel Like a Pig - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2001, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Squeel Like a Pig

Although I have been doing pinch harmonics on the unwound strings for years, I have recently been trying to do them on the low strings and make them really jump out like Zakk Wilde does. I still haven't quite nailed it to the point I can perform them 100% of the time.

Anyone have any tips?

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2001, 11:21 PM

Squeel Like a Pig

Precision!!!

...And choke up on your pick.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2001, 11:30 PM
Vendor

Squeel Like a Pig

I squeel like a pig when I choke up on my prick. Oh.... pick.... nevermind!

I definately dig in more to get pinches on the wounds, but then I can't get that screaming harmonic like Zakk can either
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2001, 12:25 AM

Squeel Like a Pig

Gain.
Some gain.
A bit more gain.
Did I say gain? *:-)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2001, 01:16 AM

Squeel Like a Pig

Or try some gain.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2001, 09:36 AM

Reviews: 5
Squeel Like a Pig

also, this may not need to be mentioned given it's a JEMsite, but single coils do NOT cut it. *Weak pickups don't either. *Think about who it is we identify wild harmonics with Vai and Wylde. *Vai uses Evos for most of that stuff, and Zakk uses EMG's. *So it goes to say, don't expect to pull it off on p-90s.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2001, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Squeel Like a Pig

I have pleny of gain (Line6 Recto and Modern High gain) and am choking up on my pick just as I do for the plain strings. I also tried Rich's idea, but my wife caught me. I am also playing on shred certified guitars equipped with high-gain pickups (Tone Zones, PAF Pro's, Fred, Evo).

My observations so far...

I can actually get better squeels if I don't dig in as hard as I do with plain strings but instead use a light touch and prolong thumb contact with the string. Executing the wide vibrato simultaneous to pull the string away from the picks seems to help too.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2001, 07:47 PM

Squeel Like a Pig

I squeeze up with about 3mm showing on mine, and they shoot out! This is getting silly, now.

On a more serious note, 3-4mm of pick showing gives some jumpy harmonics on the lower wound strings at about two-thirds crank on a DSL401. It depends where you strike the string - near the bridge gives some very shrill ones.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2001, 10:11 AM

Squeel Like a Pig

if I use enough gain and correct EQ settings [ie lots of top end], I can actually get squeels on the single coil or the 2 & 4 positions, regardless of what string.
The trick is not to pick directly over the Pup, so if you want to get PH in the bridge sc+middle sc position, pick in the area over the neck pup.

btw I use a 777DSY into a Digitech 2101 into a JCM900
the EL34s powertubes are probably very suited to these sounds

perhaps the maple also helps :idunno:
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2001, 09:29 PM

Squeel Like a Pig

In a word: Chorus.. No rate, lots of depth, not a lot of mix.. A little bit goes a long way towards getting Zakk's squeals... That chorus pedal he used in Ozzy's band wasn't just there for nothing..
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 10:14 PM

Squeel Like a Pig

I agree with all the gain and chorus tips, but more than anything it's technique. *I've been doing those bad boys for awhile, and I can make them pop out on my Washburn acoustic, with .13-.56 strings; especially low notes. *You just have to learn to get the feel for it.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-23-2001, 10:39 PM

Squeel Like a Pig

Lotsa treble too. Makes a bigger diff then you'd think.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 09:46 AM

Squeel Like a Pig

Doesn't Zakk drop tune. *That also helps.
Out,
GP
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 03:10 PM

Squeel Like a Pig

Unwound string pinch harmonics are much less sensitive to where you pinch, in my observation. *On the wound strings it is critical. *Try it at different spots with your picking hand, grabbing the string in different locations to see what comes out. *If I am fretting a low G on the E string, *i find that my best harmonics jump out if I grab it at the theoretical "27th" fret, shifting that location up or down in accordance with where my fret hand is 2 octaves down.

If that doesn't help, just try some more gain!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-25-2001, 12:23 PM

Squeel Like a Pig

Precision and choking the pick. You need to find where they are. The wound strings, as Gresh says, are far more sensitive. Experiemnt untill you find where they are. There's a couple of different ones you can find, but you need to train your hand to hit the right position.

Tags
chorus pedal , low strings , neck pup , paf pro , pinch harmonics , tone zone , wound strings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode