Steve Vai Answers Questions - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

12Likes
  • 4 Post By Formerly Given To Fly
  • 1 Post By Formerly Given To Fly
  • 1 Post By Hoseki
  • 2 Post By Jeroenn
  • 1 Post By Formerly Given To Fly
  • 1 Post By Tejaus
  • 1 Post By ruger9
  • 1 Post By FireEagle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Steve Vai Answers Questions

Steve Vai has been doing videos on YouTube that answer questions. The videos are structured into 2 series called Alien Guitar Secrets Live and Under It All: Hard Questions. I have only watched part of 1 video, the title says “Publishing”, but he says some much “needed” things and he says them the right way, more like a teacher than anything else.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...iLGtO6ulG4kfOZ

It does not feel like he is talking to fans or a companies potential customers. It feels more like he is a person talking to people. I don’t know, maybe that is just the social distancing speaking...
jono, FireEagle, Leviathus and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2020, 11:33 AM

Re: Steve Vai Answers Questions

yeah, i caught one part of it when he was live on Facebook. he was talking about meditating and how time is manmade and blocking out the voice that tells you to think about or keep worrying about this or that and how to block it out and just BE. I've never been one for meditating, but it was a very intriguing discussion. I need to relisten to the whole thing
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbourassa View Post
yeah, i caught one part of it when he was live on Facebook. he was talking about meditating and how time is manmade and blocking out the voice that tells you to think about or keep worrying about this or that and how to block it out and just BE. I've never been one for meditating, but it was a very intriguing discussion. I need to relisten to the whole thing
Wow! I watched a good portion of the “Meditation” video...
What he talks about is not nonsense which is a fair statement. However, when I introduce students to Steve Vai, I probably won’t start with this video.
Hoseki likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
Wow! I watched a good portion of the “Meditation” video...
What he talks about is not nonsense which is a fair statement. However, when I introduce students to Steve Vai, I probably won’t start with this video.
LOL agreed
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 06:00 PM

Thanks for the heads up on these, OP! Steve's a great speaker, always so thoughtful and inspiring. Glad he's been putting these out on YT, though it's not helping my PIA gas...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 06:00 PM

This was something that Steve was contemplating for quite a while and now seemed as good a time as any.

The series is 2 fold: on Tuesdays, it's Alien Guitar Secrets, focusing on anything guitar / music related.

On Thursday it's Under It All in which Steve will talk about the more 'esotheric' things.
Although Steve will answer (mostly) anything - time permitting, the main purpose would be to answer questions that will help you, rather than talking about himself.

You are encouraged to ask questions through Facebook if you like. You can view the previous episodes via Facebook (facebook.com/stevevai), youtube (youtube.com/SteveVaiHimself) or vai.com (under 'live podcasts').

Jeroen - vai.com
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroenn View Post
This was something that Steve was contemplating for quite a while and now seemed as good a time as any.

The series is 2 fold: on Tuesdays, it's Alien Guitar Secrets, focusing on anything guitar / music related.

On Thursday it's Under It All in which Steve will talk about the more 'esotheric' things.
Although Steve will answer (mostly) anything - time permitting, the main purpose would be to answer questions that will help you, rather than talking about himself.

You are encouraged to ask questions through Facebook if you like. You can view the previous episodes via Facebook (facebook.com/stevevai), youtube (youtube.com/SteveVaiHimself) or vai.com (under 'live podcasts').

Jeroen - vai.com
What he is doing right now is needed in so many ways. Much appreciated!
ruger9 likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathus View Post
Thanks for the heads up on these, OP! Steve's a great speaker, always so thoughtful and inspiring. Glad he's been putting these out on YT, though it's not helping my PIA gas...
Yeah I love to hear Vai speak, he's a real "guru" type figure.

But I'm the other way on the guitar, the more I see the PIA the more I just thing "nope"... I LOVE the colours, the green is just amazing, it's almost like it looks like it's got a gold sparkle in there. The white is even whiter than white, it's almost like it literally glows!!!

But I just can't get on with the revised body shape.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 09:11 PM

Please note the Tone Vise Keyless Nut Locks installed on his EVO guitar in Episode 2.
Hoseki likes this.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 02:29 AM

Good eye there!

Here's a couple tooless locking nuts, the first being the one you saw and the other one from ages ago which sucked. Had one for about half year once, but have always liked the idea of not needing to pull my wrench off the headstock to unlock the nut.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 07:35 AM

I have been loving this series, the "esoteric" thursday ones more so than the tuesday "guitar" ones. Altho even with the guitar ones, he talks about things other than playing, like the business and how to make money in today's world, etc. So that's interesting too. IMO, he could actually write books about both: one about all things music and one about the esoteric stuff. He's that knowledgable at this point in his life, even tho he doesn't consider himself a guru or teacher. I've been watching him talk about the "esoteric" stuff (as he keeps calling it), on youtube for about a year now- both how it relates to the creation of music, as well as how it relates to life in general. The 2nd episode of "Under It All" started out with a long talk about the ego. Not "ego", "THE EGO". It was fantastic.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
Good eye there!

Here's a couple tooless locking nuts, the first being the one you saw and the other one from ages ago which sucked. Had one for about half year once, but have always liked the idea of not needing to pull my wrench off the headstock to unlock the nut.

That first pic of the Ibanez RG1070 is my guitar. I'm the inventor of the Tone Vise Keyless Nut Locks and installed the set on Steve's EVO at NAMM this January with Thomas Nordegg.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 12:07 PM

Thanks for posting the links to these... He's such an interesting talker. I could listen to him ramble about anything, really. Nice that it is applicable to playing guitar, life, etc...
ruger9 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode