Steve Vai before Ibanez? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Smile Steve Vai before Ibanez?

Does anyone know what guitars Steve Vai used before he endorsed Ibanez? What guitars did he use when he was playing in Alcatrazz, David Lee Roth and Frank Zappa? I can't find any information about it. Also, have Steve Vai always used DiMarzio pickups?
Any information will be very appreciated, I really dig his sound before the Passion And Warfare album

But Passion And Warfare is killer too! But we all know that he used the 7 stringed Ibanez and DiMarzio and lots of Cry Baby and floating trem tricks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 03:34 PM

Reviews: 6
Re: Steve Vai before Ibanez?

He played a Charvel Strat at some point. Green meenie, it's a pretty famous guitar. Gotta wonder if that thing still see's any play time or it's retired forever. I know he played a few Jackson San Dimas era guitars. The one from Crossroads is a Chandler though. I was told he briefly endorsed them, but I can't find anything online to authentic that claim. Finally, he did play a few guitars from Performance parts that he put up together after all of his guitars were stolen. Eventually, performance would have Joe Despagni make him a few guitars, including the Flame guitar he played with David Lee Roth (you can see it in Going Crazy)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Steve Vai before Ibanez?

As I understand things,

Steve's first "real" guitar was a 1978 Fender Strat which he modified extensively, he later "acquired" a Charvel which was origianlly sunburst but later he himself painted green and which became the highly modified "Green Meanie". There were numeous other guitars such as a Jackson Soloist allegedly used on "Ladies Night in Buffalo for a high F# in the solo" as well as numerous "Performance" guitars a shop in Hollywood (see Tom Morello's "Arm the Homeless" guitar for another famous Performance example). I understood that Steve also assembled these himself and certain routed the monkey grips. There was also a Tom Anderson from a deal that allegedly "almost" happened and then the JEM arrived.

There's tons of useful info on Steve's guitars on his own website in the "Machines" section.

Tags
ibanez , jem , roth , steve , vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode