Steve Vai - Center Stage Theatre (ATL) Many Videos. - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Steve Vai - Center Stage Theatre (ATL) Many Videos.

So the show was fantastic. I got a great seat and filmed rather than rushing to the front of the stage and craning my neck to see what was going on and I have to say I enjoyed the show significantly more for doing so. I took a ton of video, and it looks like uploading it all to youtube is going to be a whole day project. I'm working on it now, but heres a link to my channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ithomas6?feature=mhee

I couldn't think of a good reason why sharing this video wouldn't be ok, but if Steve or someone else says "stop it!" than I'll remove the vids immediately. I'll add a few more videos when my wife gets home from work, she got some vids I didn't. For phone vids, I think these turned out absolutely fantastic.

Beverly McLellan didn't show, for reasons that weren't explained. I expect he didn't do a few songs off the new record because of it, which was disappointing. Mike Martin opened for him with a very impromptu acoustic set, which wasn't terrible but certainly wasn't what I was there to see.

From the new record he did:

Racing the World
Velorum
Gravity Storm
Weeping China Doll
The Moon and I.

There was a small recording of the russian lady played during the show, but he DIDNT play "The Story of Light" and my heart was broken a little.

He also had some new costumes, including some old lady pajamas and a completely awesome lighted robe. He actually played the Ultra Zone guitar, which had an amazing laser show built right into it. He also had the burnt universe up there, and a new strat looking ibanez. Hard to say, but it looks like this new Ibanez in question might have a new bridge on it. I couldn't tell. It almost looks like a maxxas to me, but who knows..? I was drinkin.

Crazy Harp Tinkerbell was freaking awesome. Never did catch her name but I very much enjoyed watching her perform.

I'll tell you this, not one Carvin Legacy was harmed during the making of this show, because not one Carvin Legacy was used lol. They were there. They were turned on. Nothing was connected to them. No channels were switched. No knobs were turned. Nothing. 100% Axe FX, and I think his tone suffered a bit because of it. Maybe I'm just a purist, but the tones I was hearing were pretty one dimensional.

Dave Weiner is now playing an awesome selection of PRS's, and had 2 big PRS half stacks behind him on stage with an Axe FX. Couldn't say if the PRS amps were in use or not, but I'd say his tones were better than Steve's.

Overall, I had a phenomenal time. I don't know of a live performer I would rather watch than Steve Vai.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 02:50 PM

Re: Steve Vai - Center Stage Theatre (ATL) Many Videos.

Great review, I thought the show was great. I did find it strange that Steve did not say anything about Beverly McClellan. Maybe she quit the tour or Steve got rid of her. I was near the stage in front of Dave and you are right his PRS guitars are beautiful.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Adding the rest of the videos now. Should have nearly the entire show on there in a few minutes.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 08:26 PM

Reviews: 4

Nice review! I really really enjoyed this show, and can't think of a better first Vai concert! I actually thought his tone was pretty good, but I was wearing ear-plugs.
Beverly was sick.... I actually enjoyed Mike a lot, especially at Vinyl.
Didn't see you, Bahamut (I was up front), but it was nice meeting you, Angra1!!

Bottom line, this was a very awesome show!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 08:59 PM

It was nice to meet you too. This morning I was comparing the Vai shows I have seen. I was front at a Whitesnake show on the Slip of the Tongue tour, Steve was light years a head of any player I had seen up to that point. I really enjoyed the Sex and Religion tour. Devin Townsend was a great vocalist and guitar player for the band. I remember being amazed that a 19 year old was trading licks with Vai. I have seen a couple G3 shows, but last night it was apparent to me that Steve has taken his guitar playing to another level. Simply stunning!

Tags
steve , tour , vai , video

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode