STEVE VAI FREE LIVE CONCERT IN HOLLYWOOD - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
EKG

STEVE VAI FREE LIVE CONCERT IN HOLLYWOOD

Just got this...If already discussed...my bad...

STEVE VAI FREE LIVE CONCERT IN HOLLYWOOD
Carvin is proud to present an exclusive concert event featuring Steve Vai! Steve will be playing Monday October 6th, 7pm at Musician's Institute in Hollywood, CA. This is Vai's final dress rehearsal before embarking on the G3 2003 tour. Vai's band includes the awesome talent of Tony MacAlpine on keyboards and guitar, Billy Sheehan on bass as well as Dave Weiner on guitar and Jeremy Colson on drums. This show is limited to Carvin guests and students of MI.
To be one of the lucky few to attend, simply visit a Southern CA. Carvin store and pickup a pass to the show. Limit 2 passes per person. Passes are given out on a first come basis. No phone or online reservations will be accepted. Each store will have a limited number of passes so they will go fast! No purchase necessary, and no money value is attached to these passes. No photo, video or audio recording equipment will be permitted. The pass guarantees entrance but late arrivals may not be guaranteed a seat. Visit www.carvin.com/locations for a list of Carvin store locations and hours.
Musician's Institute
1655 N. McCadden Place, Hollywood, CA 90028
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 11:17 AM

OMG!!!
I'm too far...
Tubarão
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 06:58 PM

My wife is picking up passes for me as I write this. Can't wait. Two Vai shows in one week! Very cool, indeed!
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 08:41 PM

Passes in hand! I was starting to fear there may not have been any left. Monday can't come soon enough.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2003, 01:41 AM

lucky bastards
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 12:43 PM

Okay,

Here's a quick rundown of what I recall from the show last night:

It was a true Dress Rehearsal, so they played a 45 -50 minute set which I assume will be their alloted time on the G3 tour. They opened doors promptly at 7:00pm and the show was underway within about 20 minutes. There was some introductory speaking and big THANK YOU'S to the folks at Carvin that helped put the event together. Vai then came out on his own and Thomas handed him a new white triple-neck for the opening song. It was basically a free-form solo piece, although there were many elements from the extended solo section of "Rescue Me or Bury Me". The top neck was used for synth sounds, middle neck was the standard JEM configuration, and the bottom neck was set up as fretless w/a sustainer (I was sitting off to the side of the stage, so don't hold me to this). At the end of the opening piece, the rest of the band joined him and they played a new song w/vocals (I assume it's a new piece the Vai band has been working on, but no title was given so I can't say for sure). After that, Vai said a few quick words and gotthe rest of the show underway. Here are the tracks I remember (in no particular order):

The Reaper Rap (w/some sections from "The Animal" and another track thrown in)
Juice (simply awesome)
Bangkok/Bullwhip (ended right where Pusa Rd would have started)
Now We Run
Whispering A Prayer
For the Love of God

ENCORE:
Jibboom

All in all, a great show for a great price . Evo is still used on a few of the songs, with FLO being used also. Too bad about Evo's condition. It really is a great sounding guitar compared to his other ones. Show ended around 8:30 pm. I could have waited around for autographs and such, but instead took a peek at his pedal board and Legacy heads. Since it was a proper rehearsal, his full set-up was used: 3 Legacy heads (one was back-up, I think) and 3 4X2 cabs. He runs one dry and two wet, IIRC. Tony McAlpine was also playing a Legacy, but most of the time he played keys. The band was just spot-on. My only complaint would have been the audience. They sat stone-still through the entire set. You'd think they were going to be tested or something. Ah. well. I'm sure the G3 audiences will love it. I'll post another review after the San Diego show this coming weekend.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 06:40 PM

Reviews: 4
Don't be too hard on us quiet fans. I usually forget to be crazy at shows cuz I'm paying too much attention!

Wish I could have been there. The 3-neck sounds awesome. Hope he brings it out this time.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 07:36 PM

Thanks for the great rundown! very cool.

He'd mentioned on Rockline last week that his opening was going to be about 5 minutes of improv on the triple neck.

What is "Now We Run"? i've never heard of that song.

In all honesty, I'm seriously considering selling my G3 tixs. I didn't enjoy Satch at all at the ther two G3s I went to and after what I heard on Rockline, I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in seeing Ynwgie.

Now that I see the setlist, it really drives home the point that Steve's only going to play for 45-50 minutes. That's not long enough of a stroke to get me off...and at $75 a pop, I want to see a lot more than 45-50 minutes.

~K
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 07:00 AM

"Now We Run" is on Elusive Light and Sound. It's from the score to PCU...

Fabe
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 07:50 PM

I'm really diggin' that setlist

I'm excited to see Vai now.....but I kinda feel the same way as kenny about Satch.....Yngwie is a bit of a toss up I guess. But seeing Juice live will probably make the night worth it.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 12:55 AM

Thanks to Mikey at Vai.com, here is the corrected setlist (sorry for the mis-labelled song "Now We Run". It actually was "Get the Hell Out of Here". That's the song I was thinking of, but mixed up the title).

Triple Neck
I Know You're Here (New Song)
The Reaper
Juice
Whispering a Prayer
Bangkok
Get The Hell Outta Here
For The Love Of God

Encore: Jibboom

Tags
billy sheehan , dave weiner , pedal board , sounding guitar , standard jem , steve vai , tony macalpine , triple neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode