Steve Vai talks about the conception of the Jem (NAMM website) - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Steve Vai talks about the conception of the Jem (NAMM website)

Hi All,

This has probably been posted before but in any case, in this short vid Steve chats about the conception of the Jem. He's holding the LNG #777 (it's even got the ol' tagger on it!) and I thought it would be good to post the link here. I was searching for any pics of him actually signing the guitars at NAMM 1987. Does anyone know if some exist?

http://www.namm.org/library/oral-history/steve-vai

Enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 07:56 AM

Re: Steve Vai talks about the conception of the Jem (NAMM website)

That was an awesome video GV. Although, I saw an interview where Steve said he made the monkey grip so no one would copy the design.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 11:01 AM

Cool. I hate to break it to Steve, but there's a signature model that's been around quite a bit longer than the Jem. Some dude named Les Paul has had a signature model since the 50s.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 11:15 AM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stone View Post
I hate to break it to Steve, but there's a signature model that's been around quite a bit longer than the Jem. Some dude named Les Paul has had a signature model since the 50s.
Correct.
Nice video BTW.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stone View Post
Cool. I hate to break it to Steve, but there's a signature model that's been around quite a bit longer than the Jem. Some dude named Les Paul has had a signature model since the 50s.
Yup, Les Paul much older....and the Jem isn't even the longest running Ibanez signature model.
George Benson has been with Ibanez much longer than Steve Vai has.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 09:25 AM

Les Paul is not a signature model.

Ibanez probably told Steve that, he said that's what he was told.

Although "longest running" isn't true if there's a George benson model that's been out longer
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle am I View Post
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle am I View Post

Ibanez probably told Steve that, he said that's what he was told.

Although "longest running" isn't true if there's a George benson model that's been out longer
How on Earth is the Les Paul not a signature model? You do know who Les Paul was, right? And how the guitar came about?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/colum...ml?no_takeover
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 10:08 PM

They put his name on it

When was the last time he had a say in making a change to it. He invented it, etc, but gibson took it and marketed and branded it, and while I'm sure LP tweaked some stuff there are so many models and different years and whatever it's not really his anymore

Also- do you know how many famous musicians have their own signature... Les paul? You're telling me that Gibson made a signature of a signature?

The Les Paul is the name of the guitar body/style etc, the way I see it. The Les paul style guitar, etc. LP INVENTED and perfected it. And Gibson took it and ran. What they did is put the inventors name on it.

Also- LP passed away- even if he took 100% control during his time here of the whole LP line (which he didn't ) he can't now- they're still making new models, etc, making changes.

I don't the accuracy of Vais/Ibanezs statements. But everyone always says THE LES PAUL THE LES PAUL and really it's no signature. It's a branding.

Imagine it like this- Leo fender invented the strat. Is the strat a "signature" Leo Fender signature, Fender brand guitar?

All they did with the LP is out an amazing mans name on it. I'm not disrespecting it, but when there's signatures of signatures- youve lost me.

Last edited by Kyle am I; 09-30-2014 at 10:14 PM.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 02:04 AM

Took forever to type a long winded reply (one hand), but after re-reading it I realized it's pointless to argue this point.
It's sad that some people see the 'Les Paul' as a body style, and not the signature guitar of a great musician.
Believe what you will about if it is, or isn't, a signature.
I'll always think of Les Paul playing with Chet Atkins when I hear the name Les Paul.
Wonderful recordings of two great men.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xut3N2O42Ho

Last edited by Meechy; 10-01-2014 at 02:35 AM.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 06:44 AM

What

I wish you had just sent your long winded response because I rather enjoy discussions

There's a slash signature les Paul, a zakk wylde les Paul, there's epiphone les Paul's, so many variants, etc etc etc I can go on forever

Emotions aside- and yes les Paul was an amazing man, I would never take away from him what he's done of course, nobody can- but realistically it's no signature.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 08:07 AM

I think the Les Paul was a signature model that just took on a life of it's own... went beyond what you think of as a "signature model". Like you said, there are now Slash signature Les Pauls.

Has any other guitar ever done that? I mean, a name become so synonymous with a style of guitar?
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
I think the Les Paul was a signature model that just took on a life of it's own... went beyond what you think of as a "signature model". Like you said, there are now Slash signature Les Pauls.

Has any other guitar ever done that? I mean, a name become so synonymous with a style of guitar?
Exactly

It's become its own model entirely, with multiple designs etc etc

Some with Floyd roses, some bigsbys, etc.

I don't know FireEagle, I don't really think so.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 11:06 AM
Vendor

Of course the Les Paul is a signature model, it was designed by Les, the way he wanted it, and over 60 years it's because such a homogenized part of the worlds music scene that the fact it still is a signature model seems to be lost. And obviously you can have a signature model of a signature model because any major artist that wants one can get one just the way they want it. But that doesn't change what it was, and still is

The link doesn't work for me, but to answer the question, Steve signed HUSA guitars in Bensalem, Chesbro guitars in Idaho, and all gray market guitars were just the signed trem covers which he could have done on a tour bus, or in his bathtub.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-01-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
......or in his bathtub.
That's kind of hot.

Thanks for the backup Rich. I just can't see how anyone can think it's not a signature model.
It's made by a huge company, and they put a huge artists name on it.
That's a 'signature' product.
There wouldn't be an argument about it if it had been named, 'The Log' by Les Paul.
People would just be buying Gibson 'Logs', and a signature 'Log' wouldn't be a signature of a signature, like it is today.
And as you said, Kyle, "They put his name on it."
That very sentence, to most, would indicate that it's a 'signature model', not a model that's simply associated with the artist.
Fifty years from now someone may have a signature Jem.
I mean; they'll want something different about it, with their name on it.
But since the guitar isn't called the 'Steve Vai', it wouldn't be considered a signature of a signature guitar. It would simply be 'The Joe Buttkiss Jem'.
Even though it's still Steve Vai's signature model, his name isn't on the gutiar, it's just a 'Jem'. Les' name is still on his guitar, so it will forever be his signature guitar, and any other artists name on it, with Les', will be a signature guitar of an already signature guitar.
The 'problem' here is, as you said, over the years it's had so many variations and so many have come to know it as 'just' a guitar, and not as a signature model, it gets forgotten that he didn't just endorse Gibson, he has a signature model that has endured for decades because it's a great design. (I'm not a fan, but that's just me)
If it hadn't had a resurgence with the likes of Clapton and Page playing it, perhaps no one would even care about it any more. But it's here, it seems it's here to stay, and it's still Les Paul's signature model, regardless of the fact that he's had little to no input on it's changes in the past several decades, or that he's passed away. His name is still on it, it will always be his because of that fact.
Change the name of the guitar and you can argue it's not a Les Paul signature model.
You can have an Eric Clapton signature Stratocaster...
You can have a Stratocaster, no signature....
You can have a Zakk Wylde signature Les Paul....
You can have a Les Paul.... there's still a signature there.
Again; unless they change the name of the guitar to something other than 'The Les Paul', well, I won't repeat.

Tags
history , jem , lng , namm , vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode