Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Steve Vai - Visual Sound Theories DVD

3K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  mozfan98 
#1 ·
I just recently got this DVD and was quite surprised that it didn't come with any DVD inserts or booklets, just the DVD.

Does it actually come with any inserts or booklets?

#9 ·
I refused to listen to the CD, then went and bought the DVD. Very enjoyable watch and listen.

I think it would be a bit boring if it was just audio.... But as a DVD, it's great. There's some really cool moments that made me just smile. I personally love it.

#8 ·
I haven't really sat down and watched the whole performance; just scanned through the songs.

Steve kinda looks abit out of place with the orchestra but nevertheless still delivers a good performance. Sound and video quality on the dvd is spectacular, good job was done on the mixing, gives you a really live soundstage when you watch the dvd.

Maybe the other guys can add to this.

Regarding the booklet/insert, I expected a booklet too because the DVD case was just too empty and plain. Not even graphics or pictures were printed on the back side of the title sheet. It's just plain white on the inside. Kinda disappointing given the fact that Vai is usually quite loud when it comes to graphics and design. :)

#11 ·
I have both the Cd and DVD, and also a copy of it when it televised, which has some stuff I wish were on the DVD.

If you like Vai, you should get it because you will enjoy the difference of his music. His last tour that supported this, I really enjoyed the Violinist.

#12 ·
ViolinistS
hehe

Yeah I went to see him when he came to Glasgow on the sound theories tour, awsome performace, but I think it was slightly ruined by the crappy audience. Me and my friends seemed to be the only ones having a good time.

And there were people that booed and started shouting "wheres steve!" during Zack Weisinger's opening as he is a great guitarist. I thought that was really disrepecful. I felt very sorry for Zakk.....

Anyway, i've trailed off from the main topic.

I've seen clips of the performance on youtube and I thought it looked great. I have the CD and I love it. Especially the second disc where Steve doesn't play.

-Sean

#14 ·
I love the fact that Steve can do whatever he wants. Feeding your musical hunger is important. DVD was better than the CD (Visuals were a big help and more fun...)
H
o
w
e
v
e
r...

This was my least favorite Vai offering :(

I still respected his ability and it's not like it was garbage, just a little too muddled/busy for me. Trying to dress up songs that didn't really need it, for no other reason than he can. Which is a good reason I guess.
I kind of didn't get it though seemed a little out of place. (Not Vai just the songs)
I know I'll get killed, and it's okay I can take it :)

#20 ·
Just to revive this thread, I bought this DVD recently. And I'm suprised no one has mentioned something in particular, given the particular site this happens to be.....

The JEMs!!!! Did you guys not take notice of the older out of production JEMs he used?

I thought it was cool that he used a 7DBK and a VSBL for some of the songs, in addition to his normal 7WH(s) (I sometimes forget which is which between Evo and Flo).

I own all three of the G3 DVDs, as well as Live at the Astoria, and Alien Love Secrets, and this is the first concert footage I have of him with those JEMs.

#21 ·
I just picked up the DVD yesterday. Phenomenal! I found the strangest thing was that I didn't see him play EVO once ,Unless I just missed it, since I only watched it the one time. When you hear some of his old songs played with the orchestra, you can really see how the songs were written to be more than just guitar.
Worth the $10 I paid for sure!

#22 ·
I thought this is a great dvd and gives a different vibe than his other concert dvds. Worth getting and it's not even that expensive! I didn't see him use Evo at all nor I don't think he brought it with him there as they show a small snippet of the guitars he brought with him backstage in their opened cases. I love the look of his industrial jem that he was using. I love this version of salmanders in the sun and "I'm becoming is a great emotional ballad. Get it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.