Steve Vai's own scale? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 07:28 AM Thread Starter

Question Steve Vai's own scale?

I was watching the musician's channel the other day, and Jamie Humphries was talking about scales and theory, and mentioned something about Steve claiming he'd made up his own scale a few years back, called something like the 'Xiaver' scale?

Has anyone else heard anything about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 07:47 AM

Re: Steve Vai's own scale?

He mentioned it in an old Guitar World interview, I think it dealt with 1/4 steps if I remember right.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 09:23 AM

Reviews: 3

The name of the scale is Xavian. That scale canīt be played in a common guitar because itīs divided in 16 exact parts. Steve asked ibanez for a fretless guitar to play it. I think they made the triple neck jem for him. You can hear that scale at the song down deep into the pain (Sex and Religion album).
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 11:58 AM

Steven Ripley has made a guitar with 16 frets per octave. Should be possible to find the guitar in the gallery at www.vai.com. The Xavian is derived from that 16 notes octave.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 12:08 PM

http://www.vai.com/Machines/guitars2.html

Line #3, guitar #5.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 04:54 PM

Maybe you should list that by rows and columns....
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyconxero
Maybe you should list that by rows and columns....
Hell no, read my location. You should be satisfied as long as I write in words you understand! (I take it you know what I meant, as you got a suggestion for better english, suggestion noted - just can't say it out loud.)
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 09:35 PM

I thought I knew what you meant, but I couldn't find the guitar which is why I suggested writing it another way. I meant no disrespect with my comment.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 07:14 PM

Iīve found the guitar. Itīs in the page 3, third line, first guitar. Just under green meanie. Anyways itīs a fretless axe. Steve wanted a triple neck to start the shows with "Earthdwellerīs return", which needs a fretless guitar and inmediately start "here and now".
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 08:04 PM
MM

Doh! You guys have helped me find a little error on the guitar pages. There is no actual page for the Ripley 16-fret per octave guitar. It incorreclt links to the DeMini guitar. I have a lot of work to do to the guitar pages, and I'll fix this error as soon as possible.

The Euphor was right. It is the guitar on row 3, on the far right.

Mikey
vai.com
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vy100
Iīve found the guitar. Itīs in the page 3, third line, first guitar. Just under green meanie. Anyways itīs a fretless axe. Steve wanted a triple neck to start the shows with "Earthdwellerīs return", which needs a fretless guitar.
Does it? I could of sworn I remember Steve playing the main phrase from it at the end of the Attitude Song on the Live in London DVD.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 07:14 AM

You can play that on a common guitar of course (I have done that lots of times on my 555), but with a freetless guitar you can create a continous sound, not thinking in the steps of the scale. I donīt know how to explain that in english, but the only thing you have to do is think that between a natural note, for example a G to a G# there are lots of little degrees that you canīt find in a guitar with frets. Making a slide from a B to a E in a fretless guitar as Steve does in that song, take all that notes out, sounding continious and aetherial.

Last edited by vy100; 06-05-2005 at 12:19 PM.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM
Doh! You guys have helped me find a little error on the guitar pages. There is no actual page for the Ripley 16-fret per octave guitar. It incorreclt links to the DeMini guitar. I have a lot of work to do to the guitar pages, and I'll fix this error as soon as possible.

Mikey
vai.com
Thatk you Mike! Itīs the one under the heart tripleneck, doesnīt it? Itīs a guitar with frets and I wasnīt wright.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM
My pleasure! As vy100 said, you can play it on a fretless, but it would be insanely difficult to adjust your ear to those uncommon notes.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 04:21 PM

24 frets per octave...I think that one's called a "1/2 stepper".

Ronni LeTekro (of TNT) had a "1/4 stepper" at one time. Also made by Ripley, I believe.

This is all subject to the absolute or partial failure of my memory...

Tags
fretless guitar , triple neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode