Steve's Tone and Playing on Where the Wild Things Are - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
Steve's Tone and Playing on Where the Wild Things Are

Just watched the new DVD and was struck by two things:

1. His tone on Tender Surrender seems off to me--compared to previous live versions and the album version, it seems fizzy and less saturated than usual, particularly early on. It's much improved on Juice and Die to Live, but just wondered if anyone else noticed his lack of Vai-ness on this one.

2. His playing in general, and especially on Juice, seems looser and more improvisational than usual. In some respects this is good; some songs--Die to Live for example--get much better when they flow more. On the other hand, the solo to Juice feels considerably less smooth and impressive. There are two really great tapping runs in the original solo, and he muddles through both of them on the live take. Bummer since I was waiting to watch his usually flawless articulation.

All in all, I'm very happy with the new DVD and actually like the violins--just thought I'd see if anyone else noticed these little things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 11:34 PM

Re: Steve's Tone and Playing on Where the Wild Things Are

I noticed these too.

Have you watched the commentary? He mentions that they actually ran camera's on the soundcheck's too, and that some of the solo's in the bluray/dvd have been "lengthened" by cutting in soundcheck footage and sound. Maybe that's the reason for the looser/more-improvisational thing?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 11:56 PM

so...what's the issue? so maybe he fudged up a tiny bit in the song?

his tone sounds fine to me on tender surrender. i own the dvd and i didn't even notice anything wrong with it on that song.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 05:10 AM

don't forget , even Steve Vai get older, meaning he is not so young anymore , we should not expect he plays in 40ies as he used to play in his 30ies ......once you get to 50ies you will understand ....(unfortunately )
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 12:37 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Hary View Post
don't forget , even Steve Vai get older, meaning he is not so young anymore , we should not expect he plays in 40ies as he used to play in his 30ies ......once you get to 50ies you will understand ....(unfortunately )
What the hell age has to do with playing?
LOL
If you do exercises you'll keep a healthy body,isn't ARNOLD over 60 now?Look at his body.
Probably better than yours ?!
Besides that you don't use strenght to play,you have to play ALWAYS relaxed!

You guys listen to music as you were listening to a bunch of scales and stuff.
Music is much more than that.
You don't analyze it,you just feel it.
How could a person be so boring?
I mean when you listen to music you keep analysing which scale,arpeggio whatever was used there?
It's not listening to music,it's MATH!
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD !
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
What the hell age has to do with playing?

You don't analyze it,you just feel it.
How could a person be so boring?
Apart from the bit when you worked out the percentage of Satch's songs that don't contain shredding.

LOL

bwahahahaha
jono is online  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 12:54 PM
Banned

Jono are you stalking me? LOL

If you don't know there's a HUGE difference between LISTENING and PLAYING.
I make money playing so I have to analyse it and learn it.
But when I'm only LISTENING I don't analyse ,I just listen and feel it.
That's the difference between LISTENING and WORKING with music.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
Jono are you stalking me? LOL

If you don't know there's a HUGE difference between LISTENING and PLAYING.
I make money playing so I have to analyse it and learn it.
But when I'm only LISTENING I don't analyse ,I just listen and feel it.
That's the difference between LISTENING and WORKING with music.
Nah I'm a moderator, I try to read all the posts in the forums,

so actually maybe I'm stalking ALL the members
jono is online  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 03:43 PM

I don't buy the 'age thing' He's only 49 for cryin' out. Look at great players like Mark Knopfler, he's 60, I saw him last year and his playing was jaw-droppingly great just as Vai will be still jaw-droppingly great at 60.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Nah I'm a moderator, I try to read all the posts in the forums,
so actually maybe I'm stalking ALL the members
Stalker,stalker lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringz View Post
I don't buy the 'age thing' He's only 49 for cryin' out. Look at great players like Mark Knopfler, he's 60, I saw him last year and his playing was jaw-droppingly great just as Vai will be still jaw-droppingly great at 60.
Yeah man how old BB KING is?
Of course BB King plays 1 note/hour but still........................it's playing,isn't it?
If playing was an exercise Batio and Cooley would be Terminators LOL

I remember a Cooley's family clip when he was about 3 years old,his mother asked him to call his father,he looked to his father metronome and said:
DAD !
When Cooley is hungry,his stomach makes a strange noise like.....pic-poc-pic-poc .................and sometimes it's 7/8 !
LOL

Last edited by 6fingers; 12-26-2009 at 04:28 PM.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Talking Re: Steve's Tone and Playing on Where the Wild Things Are

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilch View Post
I noticed these too.

Have you watched the commentary? He mentions that they actually ran camera's on the soundcheck's too, and that some of the solo's in the bluray/dvd have been "lengthened" by cutting in soundcheck footage and sound. Maybe that's the reason for the looser/more-improvisational thing?
Ah- that's very interesting! Certainly would explain the great additions to "Die to Live."

As for my little complaints about Steve's tone on "Tender Surrender" or his alleged (by me in my original post) sloppiness in the latter half of "Juice," they were meant to be observations rather than indictments. I love Vai and am normally blown away by his live peformances--just wondered if others were surprised by these little inconsistencies. Plenty of other bands stretch out, improvise, and otherwise change their songs live--I've just never observed Vai to be of that type. He's publicly described himself as a bit of a perfectionist and not one to improvise much after a song's been recorded.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 10:03 PM

Reviews: 2

I think the guitar was out of tune slighlty at the beginng of tender surrender. you can kinna see his face like "uhm yeah well **** it it"
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilch View Post
I noticed these too.

Now thats a load of crap

I was kinda interested in this one cause i remembered he said he wouldnt make the same editing mistakes he made on the Astoria dvd so it really feels live or something... And now it has cut&pastes from the soundcheck?

what the hell?

rehearsals, soundchecks, etc make great extras on dvds but man, the performance should be as close as the real thing as possible... I could almost understand the Astoria thing where they supposedly had no clear footage of everything, but this is bullsh*t, and its on purpose
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 08:05 AM

^^ you realize he fixed a few broken notes here and there, too, right?

It's Steve - what "should" be is what he wants it to be. If he's not happy with it, it's not being released. If you want it released, it's going to be what he's happy with. He swears it's 95% untouched, and that's pretty damn good, for Steve. If you want totally live Steve, you're going to need to go see totally live Steve. And to that, you'll never notice the sortsa things he'd have fixed on this live anyway. Why let the stuff that doesn't take away from the show live take away from a recorded version of it? It's all in the commentary, and he's completely up front about it, so it isn't an issue of honesty, IMO.

You should know and expect this, honestly. :P

Besides - watch it - it "feels" entirely live, and it's a great, severely enjoyable show.

~A

Last edited by anuj; 01-07-2010 at 08:11 AM.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2010, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

I think I'm with Anuj here; I don't think the cut-and-paste studio magic really makes a dramatic difference to anyone but Steve. I've seen him live 3 times and it was always as jaw-dropping as his live DVDs are. If there was an off note, I never heard it.

Tags
dvd , steve vai , tapping , tone , where the wild things are

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode