Sticky, clammy hands...? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Sticky, clammy hands...?

Hi there.
I have noticed latly that when im playing for say any longer than about 30 mins i seem to get very sticky hands. Its not so much sweat as i dont get that hot, its more as if theres somthing on the board or strings making my hands sticky and feeling dirty. I have tried cleaning the strings and board (just got a dry cloth and wiped them, as i dont have anything else) but it hasnt helped.

Anyone had this problem? And is there somthing i can use to clean everything to make sure it aint the guitar causing this

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 02:48 PM

I have the same problem. If I practice for more than 30 minutes at a time, I get maybe a week out of my strings at best. It's been mentioned in the forum that the lacquer on the back of an older neck can start to feel sticky. Some recommend sanding off the finish, but I've heard that this can make a neck more prone to bowing.

If you decide to try it anyway, here's some good information on the subject: http://jemsite.com/tech/t_2mods.htm#necksand

There is quite a lot of oil secreted from the hands, and oil attracts dirt as well as the dead skin that is contantly pulled off your fingers. There's not really much you can do about it. Washing your hands with a dishwashing detergent before you play will help some. There are different products available for cleaning the neck, but I usually just wipe it with a really soft cloth after I play.

When you change your strings, you can use some 0000 steel wool to gently remove the black crud that accumulates on the fretboard. After that, use a fretboard conditioner to keep the fretboard from cracking. There are strings cleaners and fast fret and stuff like that, but I think it's best to change them out as often as you can afford. Wiping the strings with a clean cloth after you play will help them last a little longer.

http://jemsite.com/tech/t_3other.htm#fbclean

I hope this helps. Some people have more trouble than others. My girlfriend's strings are in better shape after 3 months of heavy playing than mine are when I first get them stretched and in tune.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Yeah , i think its to do with my hands themselfs now. I played on a few mates guitars the otherday and had the same problem. And i normally have greasy and oily skin at times (joys of being a teenager) .

On the topic of strings, i normally dont change mine until they break one by one. Meaning if say one particular string dosnt break for 6 months or so, itll stay on there. I also tend not to change them unless i have to as i find the action on my guitar changes somewhat everytime i change them, and i get a lot of buzzing with fresh strings. maybe its just in my head though

How often would you suggest changing the strings?
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 07:09 PM

I sweat tons when I play. My strings always lose their shine within a week. However the joy of playing on rusty strings all the time is that when you actually bother to change them (before a gig or when they eventually snap), you can fly on the new strings and it feels great.

Are there such things as rust proof strings?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 01:02 AM

You guys have to change your strings more often!

A fresh set of strings not only lets you play better, but it will also dramatically improve your tone.

I try to change my strings at least every 2 weeks. I don't know how anyone could play on strings until they just break
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-10-2003, 01:13 PM

Don't elixer strings have something like rust-proofiness?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 07:30 AM

Reviews: 1
Re: Sticky, clammy hands...?

Sup man, Elixir polywebs is what I can reccomend, they are great, look at this vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPG1j7HhN5E
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Didn't your mom ever tell you to stop that, or you'll go blind?

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 02:36 PM

Reviews: 2

It sounds like you need new hands.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 03:43 PM

Wash your hands, simple fix.
As for strings, I change mine after to days of playing or one recording session / gig.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 03:48 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Didn't your mom ever tell you to stop that, or you'll go blind?
Your post was seen and appreciated haha

OP -> welcome to the world of finished necks! haha Seems to be a cycle these days
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancestor View Post
There is quite a lot of oil secreted from the hands, and oil attracts dirt as well as the dead skin that is contantly pulled off your fingers. There's not really much you can do about it. Washing your hands with a dishwashing detergent before you play will help some.
I'd avoid washing your hands in dishwashing liquid as it can cause dishpan hands, where the skin, particularly calluses, become soft and weak.

Normal soap will do the job, and leave you with your hard earned finger calluses.

Rock on!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 01:05 AM

I've suffered from sticky hands a lot in the past. I've noticed that the local weather has an incredible impact on the "sticky hand" feeling. The higher the relative moisture levels, the easier it'll be to have sticky hands

I'm usually good if I do all of the following:

-Washing my hands before playing (soft soap)
-Changing all strings as often as possible
-Keeping the fingerboard well lubed/moisturized and clean
-Playing in well ventilated environments
-Keeping the back of the neck squeaky clean
-Keeping your hands soft with some sort of cream (but don't use it right before playing our you'll end up with a greasy guitar!)

-Last but not least - cleaning the strings after playing with a cloth

...of course....we can't always do all of that, right? Still, just doing some of those things should help a lot.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 03:19 AM

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 04:21 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Gotta love a Frankensteined, 8-year old thread!

Tags
fast fret , steel wool

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode