Story of Light - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Story of Light

So, is "New Steve Vai day" like Ramadan for guitar nerds, or is it just me?

having listened to the whole new Vai record, I really like it. I kind of wish I hadn't listened to any of the tracks that got released early before the album actually came out.

Especially enjoyed Creamsicle Sunset, Velorum, and I think Gravity Storm is one of the stronger tracks too. Weeping China Doll disappointed me. It comes in strong with this fantastic melody, but then kind of degenerates into a mess.

One thing about Vai thats rather strange tho, seeing him perform his stuff live usually changes my entire outlook on his tunes. Looking forward to seeing him play these songs on the 23rd in atlanta.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 01:36 PM

Reviews: 21
Re: Story of Light

I like how the title track is a sort of melodic reprise of the last album. It's a really good tune, it offers continuity, and it makes me think of life in 2005 somehow when "Reflections" came out. "Velorum" is cool and, like a lot of the album, goes off into new directions. "Creamsicle Sunset" with it's kind of Hawaiian sonic backdrop is very cool I think. "Gravity Storm" is also a great song, though I'm not a huge fan of Vai's new sound in general. A bit too bassy and nasally for my tastes. It's almost like djent without quite being there. "The Moon and I" is another favorite but I've had that since it came out as a single a while back. I like "Weeping China Doll" but, again, we're met with the *new sound*. I really like "Racing the World" and "Sunshine Electric Raindrops" is really fun.
First impression I'm giving it an 8 out of 10.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 08:25 AM

Reviews: 2

I really dig this new album... It's kind of gone in a slightly psychedelic direction with all it's spacey layerings. He's left a lot more room to breathe on this album. And don't get me started on Track 7.... I just melt away in most of this album.

The only thing that kind of agitates me a bit is the track ordering doesn't seem to flow nicely (to me anyway).
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 11:52 AM

Reviews: 13

Sucks the uk have to wait until september...
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 12:35 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

I hate Gravity Storm song in so many levels including the mix which is awful, drums sound like a broken toy and bass like a noise, thank God the others are completely different.

I heard some pretty cool Vai new licks.
Some amazing clean electric and acoustic guitar tones.
Some ultra boring chicks screaming in a song(great singers but that song is noise ).
I hate the majority of keyboards tones, to me his tastes for keyboards are too cheesy.
Some weird(and sometimes cheesy) parts followed by some cool melodic parts, sounds like he was trying to shock with different parts colliding, some are good some are bad.

Overall it's a good album, the best parts to me are those ones after a weird part, a nice lead guitar comes in with some clean chords as rhythm.
Oh and that hawaiian kind of thing made me cry, unbelievable beautiful clean tone, TAorama bro, I thought of you and...............cried more

Last edited by 6fingers; 08-15-2012 at 09:24 PM.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 12:50 PM

Reviews: 2

The thing that is a bit bad for me is the album came out yesterday and Vai's concert in my area is tomorrow. I won't even get a chance to hear it before the show. Then again, maybe that's better. Here if first live, then on the album.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 01:02 PM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
TAorama bro, I thought of you and...............cried more
Yeah, Florida and Brazil have nice beaches but I think TAorama wins!
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 02:49 PM

Meh. It just depends on what you like. The beaches and the water here are great, but the rest of the island (Oahu) is a complete dump/homeless shelter. I would MUCH rather be in Florida or Brazil! Soon...

As for the Hawaiian style music - I just can't take it anymore. I need a daily dose of Steel Panther just to clear my ear canals.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 03:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAorama View Post
Meh. It just depends on what you like. The beaches and the water here are great,
What more could you want?
Obviously you're in the wrong place cause you don't like beaches and the water.
I'll go there, you come here and try to learn how to live with the crappest government ever
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 04:35 PM

No, I like the beaches and the water. But since I can't live and work on the beaches or in the water, I have to deal with the rest of it. I actually live IN Waikiki, two blocks from the beach, and the building next to mine is basically where all the prostitutes and dealers in this area live. It's a crap hole. And this is the focal area for Hawaiian tourism! It's WAIKIKI for chrissake. And they wonder why more people don't come here for vacation anymore. Sure, the main drag through Waikiki (Kalakaua Ave) is nice and fancy, but one more block inland? Forget it. It's a dump.

And you don't want to trade anyway. I know you like curves too much.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Its uh... the same government sir.

Having listened to it a few times now, I officially retract my comment about weeping china doll. It's badass.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 04:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAorama View Post
No, I like the beaches and the water. But since I can't live and work on the beaches or in the water, I have to deal with the rest of it. I actually live IN Waikiki, two blocks from the beach, and the building next to mine is basically where all the prostitutes and dealers in this area live. It's a crap hole. And this is the focal area for Hawaiian tourism! It's WAIKIKI for chrissake. And they wonder why more people don't come here for vacation anymore. Sure, the main drag through Waikiki (Kalakaua Ave) is nice and fancy, but one more block inland? Forget it. It's a dump.

And you don't want to trade anyway. I know you like curves too much.
Hmm...beaches and water + prostitutes + dealers + no tourists = PARADISE
Yeah curves rule the world!
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
Hmm...beaches and water + prostitutes + dealers + no tourists = PARADISE
Yeah curves rule the world!
LMAO!
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 04:48 PM

Not as good as Real Illusions. Only song that immediately made an impact on me was Gravity Storm. And even though nobody mentioned them, I also liked John the Revelator and Book of Seven Seals. At first I thought WTF? But they are crazy enough that I actually like them Actually the first half of the album is pretty good...things start to go downhill for me at the 7th song. Just a bit too whiny. And then the others that follow up are not really memorable enough.

In any event, still far away from his best stuff, which for me is the first disc from Fire Garden.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-17-2012, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Its a masterpiece. I can't stop listening to it. every time i listen to a track i hear something i didn't hear before. The liner notes from the cd (which i just got in the mail today) really brought the songs into focus.

There a part of me that wants to say 'ooh this is the best cd i ever heard! ' but then there's another part that remembers thinking that every time Steve Vai releases a CD. I'm a fanboy. I admit it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode