String Noise When Playing Legato ... - how can i get rid of - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2001, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

String Noise When Playing Legato ... - how can i get rid of

Is it just me or this common whilst playing legato?? I always thought i had reasonable technique but when i play other strings always seem to ring .... Is it because i need to mute the strings (the ones which aren't being played) or is down to bad left hand technique??

Ollie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2001, 01:48 PM

String Noise When Playing Legato ...

Muting.

It's an art form.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2001, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

i'll have to try it, i always thought of muting as the "cheat method" hehehe

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2001, 03:46 PM

When it comes to playing cleanly, there is absolutely nothing as important as your muting. You will likely find the best method includes using both hands to properly mute the strings and it needs to become second nature. Its not something you can think about while you do it because your primary focus will be fretting with one hand and working the pick with the other. Your hands need to be trained to automatically sit in the right place at the right time. It can be frustrating to learn, but is a required skill if you want to play cleanly.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2001, 04:13 PM

Generally speaking:

My picking hand mutes the strings below (in pitch) where I am picking/playing, my left hand mutes the strings above where I am picking/playing.

Of course there are exceptions to both of these statements.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2001, 05:50 PM

Yep, exactly.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2001, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Quote by thepumpkinkid

Is it because i need to mute the strings (the ones which aren't being played) or is down to bad left hand technique??
I would definately say bad left hand tecnique.

When i practice and play legato i try to aim at not muting the strings. That shouldnt have to be done if you just have done some proper practice. I tend to think that, if legato needs muting, then it is sloppy playing that is the real problem. I have managed to get a pretty nice legato going without muting any strings... Offcoarse, if you have large fingertips, thats another story... * *To practice it, try to just do one hammer on and a pullof without making any other strings sound. Im sure that isnt a problem for anyone. Then try to do some legato practice at slow tempo at only one string at the time, not touching any other string. When you feel comfortable, increase the speed and what not.. *Then, you should be developing some perfect legato...

By the way... I dont mean to sound like im better than anyone or whatever. Im just giving my little point of view, just so you know... (BTW, my post is strictly handling the teqnique of legato, not picking or any other thing)

(take a look at Vai, when he waves his right hand around and stuff while playing legato, he's not muting no strings... Thats because he dont need to mute any strings..:shocked

(Edited by Jay Satriani at 5:27 am on Nov. 9, 2001)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2001, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Quote: from Jay Satriani on 11:16 pm on Nov. 8, 2001[
(take a look at Vai, when he waves his right hand around and stuff while playing legato, he's not muting no strings... Thats because he dont need to mute any strings..:shocked
Sure he is, he's just not muting with his right hand while doing that. Muting is done with both hands. Try doing left hand only legato licks up and down the fretboard incorporating all of the strings without muting any adjacent strings with your left hand, without it sounding like slop. I'm thinking it can't be done. My guess is that you just aren't aware of the fret hand muting you are doing.

By no muting, that would mean you are not coming into contact with any string other than the one sounding the note. Once you leave a string for the next, there will be some vibration simply due to taking pressure off that string, unless it is silenced in some manner.

IMHO, no muting = bad technique.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2001, 06:43 AM

Quote:
quote by cmartin:
My guess is that you just aren't aware of the fret hand muting you are doing.
I guess you can be right about that.. *The sad thing is that i havent played legato since about 2 mounths, because of my hand damage, so i cant analyze my tecnique, but when you mention it, i think your automaticly muting the string underneath with the left hand legato fingers.. *Ill look into it as soon as ill be able to play for real again... (after christmas says doc... )
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2001, 09:01 AM

You always have to mute the strings. *Muting should be second nature, if it ain't supposed to be ringing, there better be a hand, finger, etc... on the string. *If you don't do this, you'll have background noise, even when you're not playing legato. *I really developed my muting when I started to play SLOW so that I could hear better what I was doing.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2001, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

ok guys, i've been working on it for a couple of hours now and i'm starting to get this muting thing ...

it's interesting how you guys all approach what seems like such a simple subject (muting) hehehe

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2001, 02:55 PM

If you want to really test out your muting, crank up the volume so you can really hear. *Normally when I do this I'm shocked at how crappy my muting is, then I play loud for the whole rest of practice to make sure the guitar stays silent except for what I want to come out.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2001, 09:30 AM

Check out:

Richie Kotzen Video *!!

Do it !!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2001, 11:36 AM
MD

One not that well known tehchnique is to mute with your left hand fingers. You can mute any string with it, not only that what is below. Just place your finger (usually first) in a way that it touches both strings - above and below. It needs some practice. Try to legato not using right hand muting at all.

Tags
richie kotzen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode