Sucks doesn't it? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Sucks doesn't it?

Well, today was my talent show. I arranged an instrumental of Wonderful Tonight and Liberty. The moment I opened on that first riff on Wonderful Tonight, people clapped and cheered. After I played the two songs, I received a nice round of applause.

Guess what? I lost. Yes, I lost to my friend who played a few beginner songs on a Chinese classical. Imagine my dissapointment . A lot of people came up to me and said that it was unfair. They didn't clearly hear my friend play yet they heard me crystal clear. The only flaw that I made was that I bended a string too high and hurt my finger .

Ah well, you win some you lose some. The teachers (judges) were teachers that knew my friend well, so I'm thinking that maybe that played a little part in the contest. I'm dissapointed, but not angry. People were quite shocked that I didn't win though, and older guitarists complimented me on my performance. So I think that was enough. I joined the talent show to prove that I can play the guitar, and I did that well, so I'm very satisfied.

Next year: Bad Horsie. Let's just see how that works out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 02:54 AM

Re: Sucks doesn't it?

But then it's ok to have lose .... use it as a drive to do better ... Losing doesn't mean you have to give up and die.... But if you asked me I don't mind having last in the lineup for music isn't about being the best but pure expression and satisfaction... If you have the chance to meet a pro guitarist (Vai, Gilbert etc) Is it important to be voted the best guitarist... I bet you they will tell you the same thing I've said ..IMHO
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 03:07 AM

Better luck next time .

Regards

André

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2tom
But then it's ok to have lose .... use it as a drive to do better ... Losing doesn't mean you have to give up and die.... But if you asked me I don't mind having last in the lineup for music isn't about being the best but pure expression and satisfaction... If you have the chance to meet a pro guitarist (Vai, Gilbert etc) Is it important to be voted the best guitarist... I bet you they will tell you the same thing I've said ..IMHO
I never stated that I'd give up.

It's just that the judges liked the songs my friend played better. If Bad Horsie doesn't go well next year, then I'll do Last Train Home (sans Sitar, unless if I get a synth) . Now who doesn't like that song?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze_1
I never stated that I'd give up.

It's just that the judges liked the songs my friend played better. If Bad Horsie doesn't go well next year, then I'll do Last Train Home (sans Sitar, unless if I get a synth) . Now who doesn't like that song?
Is winning really everything???? Music ain't sport you know
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 04:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
No, winning isn't everything. But it's fun performing at my school's talent show, so it's something that I'll do every year. If I win, it would be nice. If I lose, I'll just try again (not the obsessive way of course) the year after. But for now, I'll just freshen up my chops.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze_1
No, winning isn't everything. But it's fun performing at my school's talent show, so it's something that I'll do every year. If I win, it would be nice. If I lose, I'll just try again (not the obsessive way of course) the year after. But for now, I'll just freshen up my chops.
Yeah that's what I mean... It's fun to perform right.... But you're so concern bout wanting to win
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 07:59 AM

I think there's nothing wrong with wanting to win. It's a talent show afterall. If you win at least you get some form of recognition and accoplishment. And we all need some form of encouragement every now and then.

Same reason why music awards exist for that matter, grammys, guitar player of the year...etc

But of course if you don't win, don't let it discourage you.

In fact never let any set back in terms of your musical development discourage you. I don't think there's anything that's impossible on guitar per se. I feel that guitar heroes have got their stage of brilliance based on their passion and love for the guitar and music in general. Everytime I try to learn a piece of music I kinda get the feeling that it sounds impossible, but it's just a matter of breaking everything down and getting to remember everything.

Our kind of music may not be appreciated by everyone But as long we stay true to our love for it and our innate honesty holds, we'll keep at it and get better!

Cheer up my friend!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 10:05 AM

better luck next time dude.but its cool that you are satisfied with it.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 11:02 AM

Sounds the same as my school was - i.e. play something like Eruption at a recital only to get beaten by a lamer on a violin or some dude on the bagpipes.

The adjudicatiors probably won't know Bad Horsie or any other song you are likely to play, so here's a suggestion: to vent your frustration next time, introduce the piece as "(falling on) Deaf Ears", "Lame violin #6" or something more spontaneous that subtly offends the adjudicator: "Bad Combover".

If you can't win, laugh
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 01:31 PM

You've got a great attitude about the whole thing. Yeah, the best doesn't always win at talent shows. The judges are just making it up on the spot, no matter how much you've rehearsed There's a story about a famous American singer/actress from the 50's getting beaten on a radio talent show by a guy playing the spoons! I always remember that when judges in these things miss the obvious. You got out on that stage and had some fun and played the guitar, that's what matters!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 01:41 PM

Sorry to hear that, congrats on giving it your best shot, better luck next time.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 01:58 PM

sounds like a cool set you played. metheny's last train home would be neat. and i wouldn't say that you focus on winning too much. every guitarist has/needs that competitive edge.

it could've been worse. i lost to a beatles cover band (and they only did one freaking song!)

or you could team up with this years winner; then you're sure to win
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 10:59 PM

Quote:
THey shoudl make it a sport i can see it now.......******well bill heres our annual guitar olympics we will start off with the guitar throwing contest....and throw is off OOWWW alittle edgey but he sticks the dismont and well it looks like he did fairly well, next is the strong man where they will pic up the fender metal head full stack and walk around with it for three times first to drop looses and vai and kurt are off kurt looks alittle woobelly but is holding on tight oh no whats this he drops it NOOO oh.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2005, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vette6600
or you could team up with this years winner; then you're sure to win
Maybe, but he's reluctant to play anything besides Green Day (seriously, he's been playing the same song for ages and would have played it if there was someone on vocals). But seeing as he's my friend, hopefully he'll agree to it. The problem is finding a band. But hey, it's next year. Since a lot of people saw my performance, I hope that some hidden bassists, drummers, and vocalists would be interested to form a band.

Tags
guitar playing , strat sound

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

wahwah sucks tone where effect chain

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode