sweeping question - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2003, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

sweeping question

how do i let go the of each individual string when sweeping when i play
something like
-----------------12/19
-----14----
-15--------
because im essentially holding down the barre shape , when i play other shapes like the d shape i can do it cleanly but this shape gets messy on me, how do you do it lads?
thanks
john
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2003, 07:08 PM

I think you are supposed to roll your finger down the four bottom strings, but i can't really nail this either, anyone?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2003, 08:48 PM

I don't know how to pull that one off either... you barre all the 12s with one finger. I guess it involves some really tricky finger movement. You have to shift the pressure of your index finger so only one string is being heard at a time. It's really weird.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2003, 11:22 PM

That looks like part of a passage from warm regards. I tried some of the sweeps in that song and had little success. The trick is to roll your finger, like pawel mentioned.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2003, 04:05 AM

rolling

yep... i think u better roll ur finger for that barre. i learn it from Troy Stetina 'Speed Mechanic' book, but he only teach for two string barre. well, why not we use it for more than 2 strings.

question... can we palm each note one bye one using right hand?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2003, 01:38 PM

Apa khabar aloymetal,

Tried that one out too and like the others barre it down. Well, guess you can mute it... Well meaby Troy Stetina didn't want the little rush that most people might experience when playing a sweep and barring down some notes. You know especially on the last 12 fret on the b string. Or meaby its because as the books title says 'speed mechanic', probley he wants you to prepare for other remaining speedy notes ahead... barring more than two might require you to streach a little for the next few notes making your speed limit reducing a little... thats what i think'lah'....
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2003, 06:32 PM

Yeah, I roll me fingers, depending on which position I play it in. I'd suggest the index for that like everyone else mentioned. Rolling takes pressure of the strings afterwords so that the notes don't ring out (like as if you were just strumming a chord).

cheers!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2003, 07:24 PM

Reviews: 1
this usually works better for double jointed players when you can bend your finger back to get a true rolling effect. Not easy by any means. You should get it.....after a few hundred times. Well thats how long it took me.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2003, 01:16 PM

I usually just mute the strings with my thumb on my right hand as I go along when playing "static" apreggios.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2003, 03:07 PM

I would say dont hold the whole shape (15 and 14 on E and A) put those on as you hit them with the pick.
Then for the 12 on 3 g b do this ever so tricky rolling technique. To practice just start with say 7th fret on the g and b string, and just try rolling them as others have described. I find its not rolling literally, its more pushing the pressure around in your finger.
Try laying your finger flat on a table and applying pressure up and down it, feels kinda like a worm moving.
Learn how to apply pressure with the middle of your finger, as we all know how to do it with the tip (durh) and I found the beggining of the finger to be quite intuitive to apply pressure with.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2003, 02:03 PM

the trick is to set a little angle on your index finger on the 12s so its easier to roll while muting the string you've just sweeped. Don't let go on the strings, if you do then the string will start to ring and get muddy.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 06:39 PM

I have a different sweeping question.

If you're playing a shape like...

Code:
e|-----7h10p7------|
b|---8----------8----|
g|-7--------------7--|
... is it the done thing to map out the shape before you start the right hand going and simply apply pressure on your fingers at the right moment eg.

Code:
|-----1------|
|---2--------|
|-1----------|
Have your fingers mapped out like so before you begin sweeping so that they're just laying on the strings.

To me this seems to be a more efficient way of doing it once you get the hang of it but is it the done thing?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 08:51 PM

mmm I cant answer for everyone ... but I always play the notes of that pattern individually

i.e. jumping my first finger from the third to the first string and back again.

but whatever way works for you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode