For Swirly -- Michael Angelo "Speed Kills" Review - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
For Swirly -- Michael Angelo "Speed Kills" Review

Swirly:

You had asked a few weeks ago about the Michael Angelo "Speed Kills" DVD. I just got it in and thought I'd post a quick review of it for you and anyone else who might be interested. As I'm a HUGE Angelo fan, I'll spare you the more subjective details such as his sense of humour (which is very, very corny) and shred flash, and stick to the more objective bits like the material it covers.

I hope this is the appropriate venue -- I'm not sure if this belongs in the "Players, Bands, People, Music, and Tours" section. Hope the moderators can figure this out for me!

The instructional material is EXTREMELY dense. The printed tab that comes with the video is only five pages long, but it covers a ton of ground. Michael covers alternate picking, economy (sweep) picking, and hammer-on/pull off.

The alternate picking section stresses careful examination of tremolo picking and keeping the motion of the right hand the same from fast to slow. The licks Michael uses are really good for picking up speed ... they tend to be repetitive and very easy to get down and speed up, similar to the stuff Troy Stetina uses in the "Building Speed" section and in examples 47-50 of "Speed Mechanics." Mike throws in a healthy deal of advice about good mechanics between the licks.

The "economy picking" section is quick. Very quick. Michael, as far as I know, tends to use alternate picking for nearly everything ... his coverage of economy picking is sort of like throwing the idea out there, giving two REALLY good (short loop) exercises to work on, and that's that. You're pretty much on your own to work with it. It's not Frank Gambale's "Speed Picking" by any means, but it'll do for beginners. Anyone really interested in developing good e-picking should look elsewhere.

For hammer-on, pull-off, Michael goes through a "tongue-twister for your pinkie" workout that's simply vicious, and then rounds it out with "string skipping hammer-on arpeggios," which are seriously cool and fun.

Michael's coverage of sweeping arpeggios is adequate. Hats off to him for being the first person I've come across in guitar video land for demonstrating the infamous "finger roll" when sweeping that Am classic arpeggio (Mike calls that lick "Arpeggio 101"). Mike goes through a "monster arpeggio" lick one bit at a time, which alone is probably worth the price of the DVD. Though he demonstrates tapping to extend arpeggios during his "inspirational" fast playing, he doesn't ever talk about them, and his arpeggio forms really stick to the traditional "Am, Dm, Dmaj" fingerings. Nuts.

Finally, Mike wraps up the instructional part with a demonstration of his trademark 3-note-per-string diminished arpeggios that incorporate a seven-fret spread skipping over strings. He did a very similar (though MUCH more intense and thorough) lick in his "Star Licks" video (lick MA5). If you're looking for a finger-bustin' good time, this is certainly it.

The DVD is nicely rounded out with examples of him playing the double-axe guitar, and a "2002 revisit" that highlights the most frequently asked questions that Mike got regarding the first version of the video.

All in all, I loved it. There's some great stuff in there and I really think it will help build speed, dexterity, and clarity with careful practice (what wouldn’t?). Outside of diehard Angelo fans like myself, I'm not sure how much "replay" value it has ... if the Stetina book is New York City, then the Angelo video is New Haven -- once you've seen Yale and hit Wooster Street, you're pretty much done in New Haven; but every time you go to NYC, you find something totally new and exciting to do. Either way, you're better for the experience. And besides ... New Haven is inexpensive, and it has Sally's Apizza, which some people like me could eat every day of the week!

Hope this was helpful.

--jr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 06:33 AM

Cheers for the review dude!! It was a great help.
Looks like ill get Speed Kills some time, but i just got Speed Mechanics the other day (havnt sat down and worked at anything yet as guitars broke)

I see you mentioned Speed Mechanics a few times in your post, so i take it youve had this book before? If so, maybe you could help me descide on what to do in the way of actually praticing. Even though theres tons of licks i want to be able to play a few hours and split it up into say 15 minute segments, meaning i need a few things to play. What would you advise me to do? Shall i pick say, a handfull of excersises from each section of the book and play them for a few days, then do the same thing with some differnt ones and so on and so on. Or shall i work on somthing till its perfect (But then what would be considered perfect?)

Basically im after someone who has worked through the book to give me an example of how i can practice, and make the most of the licks it has to offer, wilst still playing a wide range of things (sweep, alternate, etc)
Any help would be apprieciated
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Swirly:

I had actually seen your post regarding Speed Mechanics, but to be honest, I only got the book two weeks ago myself and didn't feel I was qualified to comment. (I'm also not a particularly good guitarist! Ha!)

I've been using it mostly as an encyclopedia or reference guide ... that book is ridiculously deep. I would suggest working on a few exercises from each section and finding out where your weaknesses are. My left hand is TOTALLY the problem, so I need to work on finger strength and independence ... so I use the first section on the left-hand as much as possible.

I'd suggest reading through the whole book, far far far away from your guitar, and soaking in as much of the theory and rationale that Troy gives for each exercise. Then try the first few exercises of each section and really concentrate on what you have to work on. Then, grab your guitar and metronome, and play 'til it hurts!

Good luck!

--jr

Tags
alternate picking , frank gambale , string skipping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode