Taking a serious brake... - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2001, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Taking a serious brake...

About two days ago i felt a great pain in my left wrist, and has taken the descision to take at least one week break from the guitar. I have jusst started a one year university music-coarse, im developing really fast and feels like **** to not be able to play. Right now i feel i cant play without serious pain. it sucks bigtime. *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2001, 09:19 AM

Yeah I know how you feel. I had pains in my hands and wrist, and now after a month of taking it easy, its better. Although I spend about 5 mins before getting really started going

1234 -----------------------------------------------------------------------
1234------------------------------------------------------------------------
1234-4321-----------------------

But I guess you knew about that before I did!!!!!!!

However you may have to take more than a week off, it's not worth fukcing yourself up for life.

EDIT- spaced post properly.

(Edited by Kevan at 9:51 am on Sep. 15, 2001)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2001, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks pal... *Youre right, its not worth it. Now that i may not be able to play for a while, i thought you all could give me some tips of great guitarists to check out... *The ironic thing is that i jusst installed a FRED on my strat, and cant play with it * *
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2001, 05:21 PM

one thing you may want to take a look at is how much force youre exerting on the back of the neck with your thumb. *

i was having a bit of trouble with wrist pain for a while and asked a great classical guitarist that i know (who happens to have a doctorate in classical performance but yet used to be a shredder in the eighties --- good guy to ask about stuff), *he also studied musical physiology while working on his doctorate which is what allowed him to answer my question so effectively.

when you play things that are fast or involve difficult fingerings, you tend to tense your hand and press a little harder on the back of the neck with your thumb. *well, what happens is the tendon that moves your thumb puts pressure against the tendons of your fingers, not only making it physically more impossible to move your fingers because they are inhibited by the thumb tendon, but crushing the finger tendons into the carpal cavity which makes them hurt. *

try playing without your thumb touching the back of the neck at all, thats a start, but then also be sure that your thumb is completely relaxed. *i worked with this a bit and now find that when i play really fast or difficult passages i tend to remove my thumb from the neck and relax it more than when im playing really simple stuff. *you just engrain a new reaction to fast playing, instead of tensing the thumb, it automatically relaxes.

you will also find that you are able to play much faster for much longer with very little effort.

try it, let me know what you think.

--shawn
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-16-2001, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanx shawn. I dont dare to pick up the guitar yet. But as soon as i do, ill try that out.. *Tell me, how long did it take for your wrist to recover.. ?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-17-2001, 01:16 AM

my wrist wasnt too bad off when i approached him with my problem, basically it would only hurt when i played fast of difficult stuff for a few minutes, *so as soon as i was able to play with released tension on my thumb the problem was solved. *now i can play for hours and hours with no problems other than typical fatigue.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2001, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Seems like things is getting better now. *A doctor told me to rest my wrist and take some anti-inflamatory pills. Im sooo Boored....... *Thanx for the tips shawn and Bog Job. And dont forget to send in a solo... hehe

(Edited by Jay Satriani at 7:33 am on Sep. 21, 2001)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Maaaaaan.... It is getting worse... I have put the Satch strat on the shelf for another two weeks starting from now. Im gonna visit a doc tomorrow... ZzZzZz... And im getting my RB next mounth... This sux.... I seem to have taken out the victory to far in advance... Both my band and school put some preassure on me to recover, and i seem to have went on forward a little to fast.. ZzZz... *I spent 5 minutes practicing leftie playing yester day... *But it was very difficult... Well, from now on, no guitar for two weeks...

:yawn:
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 03:18 PM

Man I can totally sympathize with you. I've had quite a few wrist injuries. Broken each wrist once, and bruised all the bones in both wrists/palms at the same time.

Not to mention 2 bouts with tendonitis and fighting CTS currently.

The only tips I can give you are this.

Stretch a lot. Be nice when you stretch, don't over do it. Warm your arm up like soak it in hot hot water for a while till it feels all nice and loose. Then ice pack down your wrist. Cycle the hot/cold (works for my screwed up back too hehe).

Stay away from activities that bother your wrist. I know this is a big duh but think about it. Driving irritated my wrist, so I made an effort to drive w/ my other hand. I ride a motorcycle a lot as well (2001 Honda RC51, sportbike) and that hurt my wrist bad, so I didn't ride. Not exactly fun, but it was needed.

Watch picking stuff up with it and straining it etc.

So essentially cycle the hot/cold, relax it, stretch it a lot and take plenty of anelgesics (aspirin, advil, anti-inflammants etc).

Also think about how you fret the neck and how much preassure you apply. I've always played .010's or .011's. Recently with the problems I've had again, I've forced myself to play .009's. Granted I don't like the tone of them as much, I can at least play painlessly with a little rethinking of my technique and concious effort not to tense up when playing fast. It is second nature to do so, and very very evil for your hand.

Hope some of this helps.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanx for the tips Jeffrey.. Sounds like you've had far worse experiences with wrist injuries than me. How long have you left the guitar on the shelf ? Have you gotten fully recovery, or are you still encountering probs ?? I'll try your tips..

I think the main thing that have made my wrist unhappy, is playing legato and three note/string patterns on low strings, far down on the neck. Doing alot of this stuff without proper stretchings and warmups is the main problem here i think. Also when playing cords, i think i have a tendency to push far more than needed.. *

I hope my wrist will get back to normal before christmas...
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2001, 01:58 AM

Reviews: 3

ugh I hate reading stories like this. *Probably the worst injury in the wrist area I've had was a nasty compound fracture on my left radius. *Put my left arm outta commission for about 3-4 months (and I'm a fast healer) and left me with about 80% motion in my left wrist. *I feel pain in it fairly often thanks to the injury.

Honestly, I think guitar is something that is not good for your wrists (if that isn't an obvious statement, I don't know what is). *From my experiences you really need to do a lot to take care of them. *When you wrist seems healed, slowly take up an activity or exercise that will build strength in your wrists and hopefully prevent you from overworking them.

Also, one big helper for days when it's really sore, soak/stretch in warm water. *It really helps increase the range of motion so you can get muscles nicely stretched out and hopefully heal them up a little quicker.

Most importantly, if you don't get better real quick, GO TO A DOCTOR. *If you're going to school for music, you don't want to risk it all by making a simple problem worse.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2001, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Quote: from Jay Satriani on 9:51 pm on Oct. 29, 2001
Thanx for the tips Jeffrey.. Sounds like you've had far worse experiences with wrist injuries than me. How long have you left the guitar on the shelf ? Have you gotten fully recovery, or are you still encountering probs ?? I'll try your tips..

I think the main thing that have made my wrist unhappy, is playing legato and three note/string patterns on low strings, far down on the neck. Doing alot of this stuff without proper stretchings and warmups is the main problem here i think. Also when playing cords, i think i have a tendency to push far more than needed.. *

I hope my wrist will get back to normal before christmas...

Well the 2 breaks happened on two different occasions quite some time ago. Left arm I was 12, it fully recovered but took maybe 3 years to get 100% range of motion back. The right arm was in 1994 or so. I fractured the outter bone of my forearm. That took quite a while to heal.

The last injury took care of both arms at once. I bruised all the bones in the palms and wrists of both of my hands. That honestly took about 2 years to completely stop hurting, although I could play long before that. I don't think I missed more then a few days.

One injury that hit me hard and still bothers me was injuring my left thumb. I jammed it very very hard and have lost about 30% of the ROM in it (I cannot touch it to the palm of my hand) which effects my left hand positioning. I'm gradually trying to regain more ROM through stretching, but it's quite painful.

When my wrist flairs up, which it did last week ironicly, my general rule of thumb is: "if it hurts, don't play".

I know that sounds like another big duh, but it's actually a good guidline hehe.

In the mean time I kept it wrapped to support it with one of my old wrist straps from my powerlifting days, and took a health dose of some sort of anti-inflammant/anelgesic.

It took maybe 3 days to stop hurting again.

Another tip is to concentrate on how you hold the guitar. Make sure you aren't putting your wrist at a sharp angle. Hurting yourself at the expense of looking cool is well, not cool.

I strap a little high, but I have to for what I play.

As far as stretches and what not to the low strings, I almost exclusively play 7 strings, and it's really not an issue. As long as I'm warmed up of course.

Hope some of this helps.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2001, 08:50 AM

Damn you're nuts Jeffrey!!! *I purposely stay away from anything that could hurt my hands or fingers. *I need to type to work, so if my hands got screwed up it would be a major problem for me (not to mention not playing guitar). *I stopped playing basketball right after I got decent at guitar because I didn't want to jam any fingers.

I broke my right wrist twice when I was younger, but it was pre-guitar so I never noticed the difference. *Probably my biggest physical handicap is that I'm missing about 1cm from my left ring finger, ouch...
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2001, 03:16 PM

Well a few years ago I was still riding lil 20" bmx bikes in skateparks. I have an affinity to vert. Especially 8-10' half pipes.

That's where I bashed up my hands/wrists.

I've kinda chilled out, mostly because I don't have anyone to ride with.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2001, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Ironicly, i have been doing some extreme agressive inline skating... I have a pair of Bauer Respect... heheh but cos of the danger (i once fell in a stair when trying to skate it backwards without holding on to the reeling... i had no knee pads, but i was lucky, and the next day i bought protection devices... hehehhe) and cos i didnt have anyone to skate with anymore, i quit.

Tags
low strings , playing guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode