Tapping - Two handed - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

Tapping - Two handed

OK sorry to seem thick here people but this has been bugging me for the ages, ok people refer to tapping and two handed tapping. Basically what's the differance, if there is one?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 05:40 AM

hmm

Personally, if its just tapping, then i would generalise that as 4 fingers fretting notes with the left hand, and 1 finger on the right/a pick edge, to tap, Two handed tapping would be more advanced tecniques, using both hands, no plectrum, and all of your available fingers on both hands.

to me, 'tapping' would be, 'Eruption' or the metallica solo form 'one'

and 'two handed tapping' would be 'a day at the beach' 'midnight' and any solo progression where buckethead feels like showing off...

Thats just how i see it... but generally, theres no REAL distinction, and there are so many ways to approach tapping techniques... so trying to catagorize it probably wouldnt work !

R.L.L
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 10:44 AM

I've always considered that distinction you're describing to be between "tapping" and playing "touchstyle," and "two handed" being an optional adjective to toss in front of "tapping" if the mood takes you, but once again, this is just vague impressions. Anyway, i agree with your sense of the definition, that "two-handed" seems to be a little more technically intense than straight "eruption" licks. Who knows.

-Drew

EDIT- actually, the only possible distinction between "two handed" and regular tapping is this- by definition, with "two handed" tapping, both hands are "tapping" notes onto the fretboard, while in traditional tapping, the pick may be used on some notes. for example, a sweep arpeggio with a tapped note at top- that isn't two-handed tapping, because you're using the pick to play all left-handed (if ou're a rightie) notes. However, a legato run with tapped notes in the upper register that involves many left-hand notes being "tapped" without a pickstroke when switching strings, even (IMO) if the initial note to kick off the sequence was picked, would be "two-handed" tapping, because both hands are "tapping" onto strings to start the string vibrating. I.E- a rusty cooley legato lick, descending towards the bass strings, with some tapped notes thrown in by the right hand. So maybe that's it...

-Drew
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 11:16 PM

One I suck at, the other I REALLY suck at!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

I see, cheers for clearing that up slightly for me
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 01:10 AM

tapping

Actually "tapping" is where you are picking some notes and tapping with your right hand finger(s)."Two handed tapping" is defined by what its called,you tap with both hands to sound the notes,there is no picking involved.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2003, 01:10 AM

Actually "tapping" is where you are picking some notes and tapping with your right hand finger(s)."Two handed tapping" is defined by what its called,you tap with both hands to sound the notes,there is no picking involved.

Tags
rusty cooley

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode