Teacher Recommendations - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

1Likes
  • 1 Post By IbaneS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Teacher Recommendations

Hey Guys/Gals,

Bottom Line Up Front: I've spent the past 3 hours on google and forums looking for the right guitar teacher and would appreciate any recommendations.

I played a lot as a teen through my early 20's and would of probably been categorized as an intermediate player. Work took over, I started repopulating the globe, and now it's been almost 10 years. I've got a much better work/life balance these days and I really want to get back into guitar. If I had to pick a favorite genre, it would be metal; however, if I had to pick a favorite guitarist, it would be Andy Timmons. I love musicianship and really admire a person who's dedicated their lives to the craft. I'm not looking for a guitar teacher who can show me how to bend a note; I need someone who can give me a structure to advance my playing.

Most of what I'm finding online for guitar teachers is tied to some sort of video program. I get this works great for some folks but I much prefer one-on-one sessions (through Skype). If anyone has any recommendations or can point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 10:01 AM

Re: Teacher Recommendations

He’s known as a jazz teacher, but Matt Warnock can take you from 0-100.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Jemboyee!
jemboyee likes this.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2020, 05:16 PM

There are a few that I can recommend. Steve Smyth. He was in Testament and Nevermore. He can play any style but metal is definitely his specialty. He can create the lessons to your abilities and wants. Here is his email: [email protected]

The other is Mike Martin. He was in Fozzy and Stuck Mojo. He had a record on Vai's Favored Nations label and he played at least one Jemfest that was held years ago. He is a great player. He can also play any style and can help you get to where you want to be. His email is: [email protected]

Good luck,
Chris
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2020, 07:50 PM

I actually had an opportunity to get a lesson from Andy Timmons and I also got to jam with him at a clinic he was teaching at. Amazing player and the most awesome person I have ever met! At that clinic I also met Bruce Bouillet. He played with Paul Gilbert in Racer-X and he is by far the best teacher I have ever had. I don't have enough posts to include a link, but you can find him at brucebouillet dot com if you're interested.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-25-2020, 07:56 PM

Another great one is Doug Doppler. He studied with Joe Satriani. Through Doug you can learn all the things that Joe used to teach. You can find him on Facebook. His profile is DougDopplerOfficial.

Tags
skype , teacher , teaching

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode