Tempos vs. NPS Calculation - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 23
Wink Tempos vs. NPS Calculation

Hello again people, here's another set of calculations I've been playing with lately. This one finds out how fast nps is in terms of tempo, and vice versa. It's very simple, and again, it's not something that you need to learn to be good at guitar.

For Tempo>NPS
1.) Determine the tempo you'd like to use.
2.) Multiply it by 4.
3.) Divide it by 60.

(For NPS>Tempo, just go backwards and replace the multiply signs with divisions signs, and vice versa.)

Ex. 1 for Tempo>NPS
1.) 370bpm (Tiago della Vega's max recorded tempo as seen on a Japanese show)
2.) 370*4 = 1480
3.) 1480/60 = 24.66 NPS (Hella fast playing hands down)

Ex. 2 for NPS>Tempo

Let's use 17 NPS (the fastest ever recorded from Shawn Lane, I think)
3.) 17*60 = 1020
2.) 1020/4 = 255bpm (Still bitchin' fast by any standard)

Yeah, that was a bit pointless, but it's here whenever anyone would need to convert values.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 03:19 PM
Banned

Reviews: 1
Re: Tempos vs. NPS Calculation

Why 4.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 03:30 PM

Reviews: 2

4 is for sixteenth notes. You can multiple by whatever type of note you're using.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 07:01 PM

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure most people are smart enough to come up with this formula on their own

Anyways, I like sextuplets because you can simplify it by just dividing the tempo by 10. 100 BPM = 10 NPS, 200 BPM = 20 NPS, etc. For 16th notes you can also just divide by 15 (60 / 4 = 15 for the slower thinkers).
Either way, if you want accurate to the decimal numbers you'll have to use a calculator or write it down to calculate it in your brain (except for obvious tempos, such as 150 or basic multiples of 150). Kind of annoying, but necessary unless you're a math wizard.

And not to take a dump on Della Vega's speed, but his case is one of which where his playing seriously sounds like the pacman + ghosts noise. I'm not kidding, just look at this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPf1I...eature=related

And how come nearly every video of his playing sounds like he's playing at the end of a big cave with you listening at the entrance? I do find the fact that when playing it looks like he literally isn't moving anything other than his arms for both hands. Freaky. He seems faster than Rusty Cooley, but I do prefer Rusty's style and I think he varies his fast runs a lot more so it always sounds interesting and unique + uses lots of legato. Della doesn't seem to do any of this, from the small amount of music of his that I have listened to. Also, his flight of the bumble bee video is edited to make it massively cleaner, theres a youtube video somewhere of an audience member recording him and it's pretty sloppy compared to the official video.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2010, 11:29 PM

cringe
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 12:28 PM

I've never heard of this Della Vega guy but I figured that had to just be a terrible video of him playing.

So, I went looking for other videos and maybe youtube just blows but Magical Muffin is right. Every video had the cave problem. Which I would normally attribute to way to much reverb, not sure in this case as all the other instruments sounded okay (well, the drums weren't the greatest either) and normally if an engineer is going to screw up the lead instrument that badly everything else sounds like jank too.

Tags
note per second , tempo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode