Are these scales correct? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2003, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Are these scales correct?

Hey guys. I'm just wondering, are these scales correct?
I know the E Major and Minor pentatonic are alright (I forgot to add the pentatonic after the E Major and Minor, but I know what they are). I'm mostly asking about the Lydian, Minor Harmonic, and Phrygian.
Yes, call me a noob. I know there's other ways of finding out, but I feel most comfortable asking you guys.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2003, 11:02 PM

Good news... the lydian, phrygian, and harmonic minor scales are right!

But I hate to break it to ya bud, both the pentatonics are wrong. The first one, labelled major is actually a Minor pentatonic and the second isn't a scale (the second octave is different then the first, look it over again).
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2003, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Oh dear.
Ah. Yes. I agree with you. The first scale IS a minor pentatonic... but so is the 2nd one.

I got this from CyberFret

How would an E Major Pentatonic look like at the 12th fret? I know, I'm embarassed to ask. I don't suck at guitar! Honest! hahaah
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2003, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Wait. My 2nd scale is wrong. I'm guessing the form described in the picture above isn't a "universal" form. By universal I mean, can be played at any fret.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2003, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Hazaa! I think I got it!

Check the image above again. If the picture didn't change... clear your cache or something, the new pic has the same filename.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2003, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager
Oh dear.
Ah. Yes. I agree with you. The first scale IS a minor pentatonic... but so is the 2nd one.

I got this from CyberFret

How would an E Major Pentatonic look like at the 12th fret? I know, I'm embarassed to ask. I don't suck at guitar! Honest! hahaah
This one would be the A-major shape....so the way it's shown it's an A# major pentatonic...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2003, 12:29 AM

Yeah, the picture is correct now...

There is a handy site for you http://www.looknohands.com/chordhous.../index_rb.html
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 06:03 PM

I must disagree but the pentatonics look alrigth to me. at least by looking at the tab. Not too sure about the musical score since I am not that good with theory.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 06:48 PM

How can a major and minor pentatonic be wrong? THEY ARE BOTH THE SAME! Just depends what your starting note is that makes it minor or major.

Same thing for major and minor scales. Same notes.. same scales.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 09:02 PM

oh, and to help you out... don't learn all the scales seperately. Learn all the major scales(whole fretboard shapes). Then you'll know all your minor and all the modes at the same time. Just 12 fretboard shapes. You actually have our pentatonic in there as well, but I suggest learning those sperately as well.

so thats 24 scale patterns to learn(major and pentatonic(easier cause they are contained in the major already), as opposed to 40 scale boxes just for the major scale and its modes. This is not to say it can't be done this way with the boxes. I found it easier just to learn the whole fretboard int he 12 keys, and since modes(including minor scale) is a derivative of the major scale.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2003, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

Know where I can find the 12 fretboard shapes?
Any good sites?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 04:25 AM

Less than 20 bucks will get you the best scale book ever written. The Guitar Grimoire: Scales and Modes. (Grimoire rhymes with guitar)
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 04:27 AM

Maybe you could even download it.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH
How can a major and minor pentatonic be wrong? THEY ARE BOTH THE SAME! Just depends what your starting note is that makes it minor or major.

Same thing for major and minor scales. Same notes.. same scales.
When Ravager made the original post there was a different picture with different scales. He had a scale with the notes E G A B D labelled as a E major pentatonic when it's actually E minor pentatonic. Obviously that scale could also be G major if G was the tonic, but it was obvious that wasn't his intent
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 12:44 PM

Here is what I did. I bought an Ernie Ball Neck Writting Papers book(like a tab book but pictures of guitar necks). I dotted in each scale. I found it preferrable to go in order of increasing sharps. That is do the C major(also A minor) scale first(has no sharps). Then the G(has an F#) and so forth.

When you learn this one scale, you've learned seven different scales on the whole neck. the C ionian(major scale), D dorian, E phrygian, F lydian, G mixolydian, A aolian(minor scale) and b locrian.

So when you go through this process for every scale(12) you'll know all the major, minor and modes. Also the pentatonics are inside of these scales, but no half steps. I find it best to learn the pentatonics seperately(even the box forms are ok on these).

I've fouhd using this approach of learning the whole neck like this, you can instantly play in any key without thought of this or that box, how the boxes connect etc... This has worked perfectly for me. I suggest, say take the C major scale, learn the first position first(first 4 frets). Then add the second position(while still using the first and second together). Then the third position(while also using the first and second as well). After that you've learned up to the 12th fret, it just repeats from there.

Tags
ernie ball , harmonic minor scale , minor scales

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode