Tommy Emmanuel - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Tommy Emmanuel

Just saw him perform this evening...stunning! One man and an acoustic guitar, and I was mesmerized for 3 hours. I realize fingerpicking acoustic players are not the craze around here, but this guy is phenomenal...and a great entertainer. Plenty of speedy playing, lots of taste, half the time sounded like two guitarists, quite a percussionist (banging every inch of his guitar). Anybody seen him?
Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 05:53 PM

Yup, saw him many years ago.
He was big in Australia in the early 90's. Something new, different. His brother also plays but isn't quite as proficient.. Well that's what I think anyway.

So Tommy's in Texas hehe.. cool

wil..
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 01:13 AM

I've seen him six times in various settings (electric, acoustic, band, solo, duo). Always puts on a great show. When I was 16 I went along to his CD signing and gave him a tape of my guitar playing. Even though there were heaps of people in line waiting, when I gave him the tape he got up from behind the table to walk around and shake my hand and give me some words of encouragement. That meant a lot to me.

Phil Emmanuel is great too, I've seen him as many times as Tommy and got to know him a bit when I worked in the store owned by his keyboard player, but his style is very different to Tommy, more rocky, sort of Jeff Beck meets Van Halen, combined with a heavy Hank Marvin influence.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Cool, I'll have to give Phil a listen. I saw on Tommy's website how he keeps his neck straight & action low...when I picked up one of his Matons after the show...he was not kidding! Action was extremely low and buzzed like crazy...but sounded great plugged in. May try that with my Taylor...it's a great idea to get an acoustic playing great.
Greg
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 08:59 PM

Speaking of aussie guitarists, what do you guys think of Jack Jones? I was amazed by his playing when I saw some old clips of some John Farnham live concert (IIRC, Jack was his guitarist on tour at some stage). Simply awesome technique, tone, and style.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 02:34 AM

I haven't heard much of Jack Jones but he seemed to have some tasty shred-style licks. He replaced Mike Keneally in Z but I have a feeling that was because he wouldn't draw attention away from Dweezil like Mike.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 03:55 AM

I'm a huge fingerstyle guitar fan........Don Ross, Tim Sparks, Duck Baker, Doyle Dykes, Stephen Bennet, Laurence Juber, Pat Donohue, Tommy Emmanuel, Robin Bullock are a few of my favourite artists. I also like genre specific guitarists like Al Petteway, Leo Kottke, John Fahey, Marcel Dadi etc.

Check out these videos of Tommy Emmanuel

http://www.gitaarnet.nl/video/fingerpickers/boogie.wmv

Check out those wonderful chord voicings at the end of the video.

http://www.gitaarnet.nl/video/finger...flageolets.wmv

Another great video demonstrating Tommy's command over lenny Breau style harp harmonics.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2003, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosskoss
Another great video demonstrating Tommy's command over lenny Breau style harp harmonics.
He taught me how to do that personally.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 02:02 PM

Oh wow!!

*Beautiful* videos, thank you so much.

Just checked his website, I'll be going to his London show for sure.

It's so cool - I remember seeing this guy on a TV show about six years ago, I didn't know who he was, but I was seriously impressed then. Once I saw the video, and recognised his face, I almost fell off my chair! Nice when things like that happen, isn't it?

Tags
acoustic guitar , guitar playing , jeff beck , mike keneally , tommy emmanuel , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

tommy des whoo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode