Tone opinion; is this an ok tone? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Tone opinion; is this an ok tone?

I've been recording demo versions of songs with my band Son of Science and we're ready to start recording them properly.
I'm using a Pod XT Pro direct for my sound. I was planning on perhaps just using the sound I've recorded our demos with, but if it's a sound a lot of people think is awful, I'd prefer not to.

On www.myspace.com/leecassidyguitar there's a song called The Path (it'll auto-play) that has the sound I am planning to use. There's a higher quality mp3 at www.sonofscience.com, too.

Any criticisms, opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 04:20 PM

Re: Tone opinion; is this an ok tone?

very John Petrucci/Dream Theater type sound.

Sounds good to me.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 04:30 PM

Sounds good to me as well Lee.

Your band have got some good tracks there. Oh yeh, love the Dr Who track
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 04:34 PM

Not my cup 'o tea, but it sounds good to me.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 06:35 PM
Dee

Yeah, not my cup of coffee, but it sounds pretty mean. And hey, thanks for adding Planet X.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for opinions. I find the rhythm sound is a little flat, it doesn't really have any "umph", and I'm not sure how to achieve it. Whenever I try to modify it, I end up deviating so much from what I originally wanted.
Haha, glad you liked the Dr. Who thing Gurj

Dee, why the thanks? Do you run the PX myspace page or something? Or you mean in the "cool, you like PX" sort of sense? I really like PX! I flew to Milan to see them play a couple of years ago. They had the awesome TJ Helmerich on guitar and the just as amazing Rufus Philpot on bass. I got my copy of Moonbabies signed by Virgil and Derek. \m/
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 02:01 AM

I don't think you should change anything, sound good to me. Maybe it's just me, but I think that what gives the feeling that it "sounds awful" as you were told, is that the piano part and the guitar part in the intro, sounds out of tempo... But as I said, maybe it's just me. At 1:00 minutes, the rhythm guitar doesn't sound like the first part of the intro. I'd tried to make it sound like the first part. But overall, it's sound pretty good to me. I like the almost robotic or virtual sound of the rhythm guitar!
Love the EMP track!!!!!!!!!!! You're kind of cool, man!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 02:36 AM

Sounds great.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 09:48 AM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by leec View Post

Dee, why the thanks? Do you run the PX myspace page or something? Or you mean in the "cool, you like PX" sort of sense? I really like PX! I flew to Milan to see them play a couple of years ago. They had the awesome TJ Helmerich on guitar and the just as amazing Rufus Philpot on bass. I got my copy of Moonbabies signed by Virgil and Derek. \m/
Yes Lee, I work for PX and Derek Sherinian. Are you looking forward to Quantum? It's a cool album, I have an advance copy which Derek sent to me a while back. Brett Garsed did an amazing job and the Holdsworth track (Desert Girl) is stunning. Great solo on that song.

PS: I have a good bootleg from that 2004 tour you saw. Mine is from Poland. It was Virgil's birthday gig!

Last edited by Dee; 03-28-2007 at 10:48 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. The live vid of Quantum Factor is great. I'm looking forward to hearing that a lot.
I didn't know Holdsworth was doing only one song. I thought he was doing more on the album. But if Garsed is packing out most of it, that's even better news for me. He's been a big influence and hero of mine for a long time.

Man, I recorded nearly all of their Milan set on video, and I even mentioned this on the PX board a while ago, but when I transferred it onto PC, all the sound was gone! But I have plenty of pics.

Me being fanboy with Virgil:

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 02:35 PM
Dee

I didn't know you were a member of the PX board. EDIT: Of course, you must be Lee Cassidy? Hehe, I've seen you around for years, if so.

I would love to see the Milan video sometime. If you can ever possibly get it put onto a DVD or something I have things to trade if you're interested.

Allan was originally doing the entire album, but his schedule forced him to change plans. As time went on he was less able to commit to it, and eventually he ended up only doing the guitars for "Desert Girl", plus the solo on "The Thinking Stone". Brett stepped in late and completed his tracks super quick! The guy is phenomenal considering the task he was handed.

The track "Quantum Factor" is completely different to the version you saw on video. It's a mind blowing track! These guys are simply not human.

Cheers for the pics, btw.

Tags
brett garsed , john petrucci

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode