Tony MacAlpine - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Tony MacAlpine

Good to see that TMac has come over to Ibanez but to see him play keyboards and 'rhythm' guitar to Steve Vai on tour...... well??? (G3, old I Know)

Each to their own and I'm gonna be Devil's advocate here but I can't believe that a guitarist of Tony's ability is appearing as a essentially a back up musician. Tmac is one of the greatest guitarists on the planet.

If Vai and MacAlpine were appearing at different venues in my town I'd be at the MacAlpine gig!!! Just my humble opinion.

Anyone agree????

If not Flame Suit on!!!!! lol!!

Last edited by IbanezDaemon; 04-07-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 07:43 PM

Re: Tony MacAlpine

Tony Macalpine is one of my favorite guitarists, is very underrated in my opinion, and his playing has always been a big inspiration to me, and I still haven't gotten close to getting any of his solos down.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 08:01 PM

I agree with you guys.He has immense talent but seems to be underrated.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 10:57 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Tony MacAlpine

Listen, I like Tony, though not as much as Vai, but business is business. It's not like Tony doesn't put out solo stuff or tour on his own. Vai backs up other artists (Mary J. Blige, Nelly Furtado) because a paying gig is a good gig! I'm sure Tony is secure enough as an artist to play what he's paid to play...I certainly don't look at tony in a less of a way, he's still awesome...
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 08:08 AM

Reviews: 1

It's a tough business.
I've met TM a number of times-actually his family too- and he's a humble and really good guy. He is a MONSTER talent.
He had some solo success with Shrapnel but he's also very comfortable in a 'clean-up' role. In this business really good players have to play multiple roles and work different opportunities to be successful. Very few great artists get to star in their own role, and when they do they need quality guys to support them on stage and in the studio.

Tony will always be in demand and a value to whoever is on top at the time- and I'm sure he will continue to churn out quality solo stuff too. We should all support guys like Tony.

Just my 2 cents.....
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Cool! I agree with what you guys have said. He definitely deserves more recognition but I suppose there are thousands of guitarists who come into that category, Vinnie Moore is another one who springs to mind, very talented player. I think a lot of those guys fanbases are largely made up of guitarists/musicians hence their material is destined to stay esoteric in appeal and therefore passes by most of the general public. But I do admire guitarists like TMac for remaining true to what they have wanted to play/release on their albums. I'm sure Tony has had some tempting offers over the years so it's cool that he's still recording and playing what is closest to his heart.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 10:24 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Tony MacAlpine

It's the same thing as why Nuno is playing with Rhianna...A buck is a buck and the economy hits rock stars too...
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 12:41 PM

Keep in mind Tony plays in tons of fusion bands on the side as well, which also earns him a buck, sure not like big money, but to discredit him because Vai plays with others, is not correct.

As someone else mentioned above, if Vai and MacAlpine were both playing in the same city at different venues, I would most likely goto MacAlpine. Unless Vai had his full band there, Jeremy Colston, Dave Weiner, then it'd be a tough choice.. but I still think I'd go see MacAlpine.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 01:07 PM

I would definitely say MacAlpine is more of a shred type player, or from what I've heard anyways...However, from what I've read and heard he is also a phenomenal keyboard player, he played keyboards on Vinnie Moore's Minds eye album, and his solo parts were amazing. Awesome musician, would love to see him play some of his solo stuff sometime!!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Some guys have better careers than others.
Vai and Satch were always in focus,they have the strongest careers ever.
Luck,connection with the right people and hard work are the foundation of a strong career.
If Macalpine and others don't have it probably they failed in some of these things or their music reached less people.

And there's no such a comparison like =

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezDaemon View Post
If Vai and MacAlpine were appearing at different venues in my town I'd be at the MacAlpine gig!!!
because everybody have their own tastes,some prefer Macalpine ,some Vai and some .............................Hammett !!!!

I have about 10 Macalpine albums and I don't like even 1 song,I like some passages which I used for studying.I really don't like his harmonies and shredding all the time is really boring as hell.
A good musician plays what song needs and never make a song just to fit all his technique inside of it.
Even when he plays slow I don't like.
Even on piano he's a boring shredder.

A great guitarist? Of course he is.
A good musician? Not to me.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by charv712 View Post
I would definitely say MacAlpine is more of a shred type player, or from what I've heard anyways...However, from what I've read and heard he is also a phenomenal keyboard player, he played keyboards on Vinnie Moore's Minds eye album, and his solo parts were amazing. Awesome musician, would love to see him play some of his solo stuff sometime!!
Yeah, Mind's Eye is probably my fave album of all time. Tony's keyboard playing on that album was excellent.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 02:19 PM

Great player and seems like a cool guy. I never liked his tone though. Always felt a bit "nails on a chalkboard" to me.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
Some guys have better careers than others.
Vai and Satch were always in focus,they have the strongest careers ever.
Luck,connection with the right people and hard work are the foundation of a strong career.
If Macalpine and others don't have it probably they failed in some of these things or their music reached less people.

And there's no such a comparison like =

because everybody have their own tastes,some prefer Macalpine ,some Vai and some .............................Hammett !!!!

I have about 10 Macalpine albums and I don't like even 1 song,I like some passages which I used for studying.I really don't like his harmonies and shredding all the time is really boring as hell.
A good musician plays what song needs and never make a song just to fit all his technique inside of it.
Even when he plays slow I don't like.
Even on piano he's a boring shredder.

A great guitarist? Of course he is.
A good musician? Not to me.
Do you have his CAB stuff? Planet X? That is much more "interesting" music, way more musically complex than anything Vai has done. To think most of it is all improvised too, other than the head/melody, is unreal.. Tony MacAlpine is one of the most skilled guitarist in terms of overall playing (improvising) and technique, where as Vai may be technically amazing but his improvising is pretty poor (he couldnt be put into a fusion context and sound as good as MacAlpine or Howe)

A good musician is someone who can be put in any situation and perform, and it is pretty apparent MacAlpine is much more diverse than Vai, so by the true definition of a good musician, MacAlpine is better than Vai. THEN we add in Violin and Piano, which MacAlpine is at a virtuosu level.. Vai is not even close.

Outside of TV/Radio play, and Ibanez signature models, Vai is nothing special over other lesser known guitarists like MacAlpine, Greg Howe, Guthrie Govan and etc.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exutus View Post
Tony Macalpine is so much better than Vai.

Vai is a show off and probably jalous that Macalpine is million times better, so he puts him on keys.

He rapes him forever and in the afterlife on guitars and keyboards.
This post is nonsense.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Banned

Reviews: 1

Well go back to school if you can't figure it out, noob.

And they should have invited him as a Headline to the G3, not a goddamn keybordists in the shadows.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode