Trying to grasp the rule..... - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Question Trying to grasp the rule.....

Trying to grasp the rule.

I understand there’s rules regarding complimentary scales or cords and I’m trying to find out what that rule is. For example; I believe if you are playing a Major scale; say in "A" the complimentary scale in minor will be 2 notes down on the scale which would be G minor….or something like that….

Does someone know this rule?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 01:22 PM

Re: Trying to grasp the rule.....

I think what you are asking for is something called relative minor and is a major 6th above or a minor 3rd below your "reference" note (the 1ts of your major scale)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _FR0D0 View Post
I think what you are asking for is something called relative minor and is a major 6th above or a minor 3rd below your "reference" note (the 1ts of your major scale)

OK so if a cord progression is "A" Major I can play a "f" minor scale over it?
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scallywag View Post
OK so if a cord progression is "A" Major I can play a "f" minor scale over it?
F# minor
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

This is all starting to become overwhelming....Cord progressions, Modes, Scales, Triads, root-fifth, or root-octave, etc. etc. etc. It goes on forever.....
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

I got this from a nother site......

The relative minor is found 6 scale degrees "up" from the "Tonic" (the technical name for the root note of the major scale--e.g., "Am" is the relative minor of "C"). When going from minor to Major you count 3 scale degrees "up" from the "submediant" (the technical name for the root note of the minor scale--e.g., "C" is the relative major of "Am").

Is this correct?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 06:44 AM

Yes that is correct.
Though I woul still call A the tonic in Aminor, not the submediant
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 07:33 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
This is all starting to become overwhelming....Cord progressions, Modes, Scales, Triads, root-fifth, or root-octave, etc. etc. etc. It goes on forever.....
Of course it's tough. I have two college music degrees and I'm still learning theory and structure - sometimes I feel like I don't know anything.

If it was easy, everybody would be doing it -your mother would probably be touring with Aerosmith right now.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 09:01 AM

Reviews: 20

If you want to learn theory for college or whatever, then studying books etc is a good way to go. But by far the best way to become a better musician all around is to join a band of some sort. I see it a very similar way to a learning a new language. Where taking lessons in Spanish (for example) is good, it is nothing compared to going to Spain and experiencing the various dialects etc of that language and being thrown in at the deep end so to speak.
So what I'm saying to you is, unless your doing this as a written exam, join a band (but try to join a band of musicians who are more able than yourself so you don't end up the only one who knows any music theory). If you join the right band, it really will help you.
Thanks
Regards
Jon
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic View Post
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.
My instructor said the same thing.......I'm not asking for simplicity, only an understanding.

Jon-
Honestly nobody would want to have me in their band. I've only been playing for a year and that simply isn't enough time to grasp all the cords and scales, let alone actually play songs.....Well maybe for some of you but at my age it takes longer....
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 01:23 PM

You can be as good as you want. Don't judge, don't compete, don't get discouraged, and don't sell yourself short. And have fun, you'll do great.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
My instructor said the same thing.......I'm not asking for simplicity, only an understanding.

Jon-
Honestly nobody would want to have me in their band. I've only been playing for a year and that simply isn't enough time to grasp all the cords and scales, let alone actually play songs.....Well maybe for some of you but at my age it takes longer....
Learn songs, copy licks from your favorite players. After you've got the licks, then try to apply the theory and figure out how theory applies to them. In the beginning though, it's best to just copy licks and listen to how the licks work over the chords. Follow your ears first.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 06:21 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Personally I find relative minor/major scales a pretty easy concept to grasp. If you want major, go up 3 half steps/minor 3rd interval. If you want minor, go down the same distance. C major/ A minor, G major/ E minor, D major/ B minor, so on and so forth. Best way to give an example is on the piano. All the white keys play C major (Major scales having intervals of WWHWWWH). A minor (Minor scales having intervals of WHWWHWWW), uses the exact same notes as C major; all the white keys.
(R)WWHWWWH(R) - major
(R)WHWWHWW(R) - minor
(R)WWHWWWH(W/R)WHWWWH(R) - 2 octave major, notice how the minor scale fits perfectly into the 6th interval above (Or 3rd below, of course).
W = whole step
H = half step
R = root
If you find all the music theory confusing just completely forget about the modes for the moment and that will be one big heap less to worry about. They aren't crucial to understand even if you're writing songs.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 10:42 PM
Banned

Talking Re: Trying to grasp the rule.....

[QUOTE=Scallywag;990017]My instructor said the same thing.......I'm not asking for simplicity, only an understanding.

actually it's quite easy to and understand

C maj is always a good place to start
1st play the major scale in C
then practice the scale using each successive note as a starting and ending note
IE; play D E F G A B C D, then say.... F G A B C D E F.... and on from there
now if you look this up in a theory book you will discover that you have just practiced and learned 6 of the most common mode scales.
do this for every scale you already know. should last about 6 months.
then study the 2 remaining most common modes that encompass dominate 7th and harmonic minors
there..............
taking into account what it will involve to play all those scales clearly and correctly I have just given you 2 years worth of work to do.
cp

Tags
complimentary scales

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode