Turkish Shredder Cem Koksal&His debut album - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Turkish Shredder Cem Koksal&His debut album

I'm very proud to introduce the great shredder of Turkey called Cem KOKSAL and his first album "Set me Free"

I like to copy one of my friend's (Murat Batmaz) review from http://www.seaoftranquility.org/revi...ontent&id=2264

Cem Koksal is a very well known guitar virtuoso in Turkey. He has been playing the guitar for a long time, he's been in cover bands and he's played many a show. Set Me Free!! is his debut solo album, and it's a 'solo' record in the true meaning of the word. Koksal wrote all the music and lyrics himself (except one song), and he recorded, mixed and produced the album in his own studio. On the album, he plays all the guitars from acoustic to rhythm to lead, bass, and he does some backing vocals as well. Behind the mic, we have Turkey's best metal singer Murat Ilkan of Pentagram/Mezarkabul fame. Last but not the least, Murat's brother, Aykan Ilkan, performs the drums.

This is one of those albums that has great appeal value for guitar fans mostly, since Cem Koksal plays coherent, melodic guitar solos with incredible depth and harmony. Some people compare him to Yngwie Malmsteen, but I believe it's only those who equate every neoclassical guitar run with Yngwie. Cem Koksal's style of playing differs from many shredders who are all about alternate picking over incessant sweeping on the neck of the guitar. Koksal is exceptionally tasteful. He picks the strings of his instrument with admirable restraint, never sacrificing the songs for show or pyrotechnics. His riffing and soloing are characterized by melody of the highest calibre, powerful expression of a myriad of influences ranging from Back to Vivaldi to Malmsteen, and some hidden Turkish music traits here and there.

Through the 59-minute disc, we hear plenty of diverse songs. The first track, "Set Me Free!!", has an outstanding bass line that is complemented by a nice harmonic guitar solo and Murat Ilkan's somewhat aggressive vocal delivery. The first instrumental cut is the intro track for "Blood on Blood". This is a nice acoustic piece that is seamlessly woven with the main song. Koksal's rapid-fire rhythm workout and precise timing reaches a height of excellence when Ilkan joins him with soaring vocals. The album slows down for a moment on the next song, "Winding Road". This one is a nice ballad beginning with great acoustic guitars only to pick towards the end when Koksal goes for another solo that is loaded with tons of emotion. Murat Ilkan sings radically different than he does with his own band Pentagram (aka Mezarkabul); this disc has certainly allowed him to go into a different musical territory. The short "Dreams", co-written by Ilkan, would rival with the best Euro power metal bands out there thanks to the song's nice double-drum bass and Ilkan's powerful vocals. The duo further expand on this style on "Men Made of Iron", but Murat's vocals are so emotional, even while hitting the high notes, you will immediately notice his talents as a singer!

"Earthquake Part 1" and "Earthquake Part 2" are also linked. The lyrics are unquestionably inspired by the horrible earthquake that happened in Turkey taking the lives of thousands of people. The first part of the song is purely instrumental -- a riff-laden piece that displays an immortal melody line at the same time. It takes a lot of chops to do this song justice. The second part, however, goes back to Koksal's neoclassical roots, as the lyrics once again hit really hard. More classical numbers are kept for the latter part of the album: "For Amadeus" is Koksal's thank-you to Mozart, as it is a nifty variation of Mozart's "Requiem". This is a really amazing song, kind of like the new Steve Hackett in a sense. It feels like there's this huge orchestra behind Koksal playing in perfect harmony with the guitar. The most progressive composition on the album has got to be "Ruthless" -- Koksal blends his talents with his technique and great sense of melody on this one. Every guitar fan should give this number a listen.

The album closes on a sad outlook on "Life" -- a 10-minute epic piece. The lyrics on this one are the most emotional in my opinion. Also, the song is quite different from its predecessors; it kicks off with acoustic guitars that recall Timo Tolkki's solo material for a moment. The original running time of the song is a little over six minutes actually, but there is so much atmosphere going on here. Cem Koksal re-released his album as Just Set Me Free!! in Turkey with a different cover art, bonus songs in Turkish, etc., so give that version also a shot if you can track it down.

Track Listing
1. Set Me Free!! (6:10)
2. Blood on Blood - Intro (2:34)
3. Blood on Blood (5:07)
4. Winding Road (6:00)
5. Ruthless (4:03)
6. Dreams (2:40)
7. Men Made of Iron! (4:32)
8. Earthquake Part 1 (3:03)
9. Earthquake Part 2 (5:41)
10. For Amadeus (5:4
11. Violin Concerto No I in Db-Minor (3:1
12. Life (10:22)

Last edited by nienturi; 05-11-2005 at 07:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Re: Turkish Shredder Cem Koksal&His debut album

Yes dudes, Anyone ?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 07:47 AM

Any samples available?

Regards

André

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 02:58 PM

he is far from being a virtuoso. He is just a Malmsteen copying fellow. Personally, I think virtuosity is thought to be just speed. I hate malmsteen because of his uncreative process etc. but he has donemuch for guitar music etc. there is no point in copying another person. This man just plays fast and is considered a virtuoso. That, for me, is a swear to Steve, Joe and other virtousos.

I'll tell you something. This guy released the same album with just one more track under another title. He is uncreative, has nothing personal to his music, has done nothing to further guitar music. All he does is going out with some chicks here in Turkey.

Anyway I totally hate the guy, even more than malmsteen(at least I have a respect for him). This guy is just a man who copies what malmsteen does.

My musical opinion is different on these, so sorry if I offended someone...
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Wink Re: Turkish Shredder Cem Koksal&His debut album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wis Redz of Silvanost
he is far from being a virtuoso. He is just a Malmsteen copying fellow. Personally, I think virtuosity is thought to be just speed. I hate malmsteen because of his uncreative process etc. but he has donemuch for guitar music etc. there is no point in copying another person. This man just plays fast and is considered a virtuoso. That, for me, is a swear to Steve, Joe and other virtousos.
Why should it be a swear? What he did is just the way to choose in music and expressing himself. And he is influenced by Malmsteens music not a clone.

Quote:
I'll tell you something. This guy released the same album with just one more track under another title. He is uncreative, has nothing personal to his music, has done nothing to further guitar music. All he does is going out with some chicks here in Turkey.
Too Ridiculous. It has been released just becaused of the rec. labels finishing their work on Turkey. If your words were be true even Vai would be uncreative,too. As you can see some of his albums have been re-released many times with same title but another front covers. He had released his album and the label finished so he changed his label. That's all. Chicks matter hm? Are you jeleous about him to go out with girls? Whole rock era are full of those or ever heard about groupies? Or sex stories of Vai's? So whats the problem boy? He may do whatever he do as long as he can.

Quote:
Anyway I totally hate the guy, even more than malmsteen(at least I have a respect for him). This guy is just a man who copies what malmsteen does.
My musical opinion is different on these, so sorry if I offended someone...
Hate? It very strong emotion that consumes human soul. So relax and let the world turns as everyday it does. 'cos at he end nothing chances.

If anyone wants to get a sample, www.cemkoksal.com can be useful
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 09:21 AM

I differ in my opinion I see..........I found some of his music very good! Good guitar player
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 11:29 AM

I liked the clips, but yeah, he's a straight up Yngwie clone...
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 11:52 AM

why should I be jealous of him? THAT is ridiculous. he uses guitar for that. Sex stories and facts are different. I never heard anything like that about steve. I rarely watch tv and I have seen this guy in a stupid program discussing some famous people's love matters. those famous ones are basic people wanting to be talked about, and this guy is just the same. And yes he is a malmsteen clone.
anyway, I'm no boy and am free to express myself. I hate the guy, and don't want to hear any star wars influenced stupid things about that. Hate is an emotion, strong or not, and I am free to feel it.
The part about steve being uncreative is just nonsense. "It has been released just becaused of the rec. labels finishing their work on Turkey" and I wonder what you meant with this. because I really don't think he can sell worldwide. there are far better mamlsteen clones and besides there's the man himself.
Are you in love with the guy? you were a little harsh. This may be harsh as well but... maybe your nationalist emotions are at work but hey this guy cannot sell worldwide. be a little realistic.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 08:25 AM

It was nice to see a turkish guitar player releasing an instrumental rock album -some good songs but his music is too malmsteen influenced.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I rarely watch tv and I have seen this guy in a stupid program discussing some famous people's love matters. those famous ones are basic people wanting to be talked about, and this guy is just the same.
I really don't think as you do. I have met with him and after my experiences i believed he is not. Furthermore in those kind of stupid programs we can see much more respected people, too. But this doesnt make them unrespectful.

Quote:
The part about steve being uncreative is just nonsense. "It has been released just becaused of the rec. labels finishing their work on Turkey" and I wonder what you meant with this. because I really don't think he can sell worldwide. there are far better mamlsteen clones and besides there's the man himself.
What i meant was clear. The company (Universal Turkey) had closed their operations in too close time after his album were released. So what would you do if you lived same kind of event happen? He released it another label with an extra track. It is so clear. And how come this makes someone uncreative? Selling worldwide is something completely different. We are talking about a shred metal album. So noone waits it can sell a million. But his album is selling worldwide by now.

http://www.guitar9.com/guitarmusic9/setmefree.html

Quote:
Are you in love with the guy? you were a little harsh. This may be harsh as well but... maybe your nationalist emotions are at work but hey this guy cannot sell worldwide. be a little realistic.
I dont find myself as harsh. This may be sensed because of writing or reading somthing in another language. I'm sorry if you have found me impolite or harsh. But i have meet with him, saw him and talked for a while. And i believe his music&what he do. There are hundreds of guitar players releasing their own albums and i like to listen them. There are many many players are much behind form him, thats why i believe that he has a chance to open worldwide. Thats my support and i can get it anyone i believe. This may be Marcel Coenen, Dimitar Nalbantov, Ralph Khoury, Bijen Rahimi or anyone, you name it...
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 02:56 PM

Yngwie clone ,but nowhere near as good.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2005, 03:15 PM

His playing is alright, that video on his site was pretty solid rock fare with some nice guitar. Sure, he is Malmsteen influenced but nowhere near as much of a clone as, say, Joe Stump. And in that demo video he plays some un-Malmsteen'y licks too. All in all, not a bad player, but not amazing either...
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Smile Re: Turkish Shredder Cem Koksal&His debut album

[QUOTE=pawel]Sure, he is Malmsteen influenced but nowhere near as much of a clone as, say, Joe Stump.[QUOTE]

Thats the point. Thanks for sharing your ideas.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 07:49 PM

He is definitely "not a Malmsteen clone". Earthquake Part 1 (the demo video at his website) is the most "baroque" influenced song in the "Set Me Free!!" album. I can't really understand this; if a "good" guitar player uses an A Minor Arpeggio on 5 Strings, then he will be surely judged for being an Yngwie clone... Hey!! That's baroque!! I think they should answer this question first: Is Johann Sebastian Bach an Antonio Vivaldi clone????? Cem's songs are not even similar to Yngwie's.. First listen to the album then criticise please. This demonstration video alone means nothing. He has very powerful and melodic songs, very good solos, unique riffs. And the album has a very good sound too(as I can remember Cem recorded and mixed all the stuff). By the way he's climbing too fast. Coca-Cola sponsored him - the Soundwave University Tour in Turkey -, and he played to huge crowd (more than 150.000 people at 11 concerts)
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus
answer this question first: Is Johann Sebastian Bach an Antonio Vivaldi clone?????
now were getting silly... can we close this please... I knew I shouldnt have read this thread....

Tags
acoustic guitar , alternate picking , guitar players , joe stump , marcel coenen , yngwie malmsteen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode