Uninspired - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Uninspired

Well this weekend i must have played 10 hours but of that i learned nothing and just jammed. It makes me mad to think i did nothing for the weekend and can't think of what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 04:36 PM

Uninspired

I have one tips that really help me when i have no inspiration. You put a back on repeat, drag up the volume, and then you sing the phrases at the same time you play. Try to sing new phrases that you have never really played. That is often the golden key to new areas for me... * Try adding some big intervals in the melodies/licks to spice them up even more... heheh Thats my little tips. You dont have to sing loud so that any body hears you, just so that you can hear it your self.... *:shocked:
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 05:01 PM

Uninspired

Pick up a book some jazz book... be it artist transcriptions, a book of standards, improvisation, comping. In fact that's what I'm going to attempt to do soon.

-Justin
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Uninspired

well i guess i should do that since i am in the jazz band at school
:biggrin:
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2001, 07:54 PM

Uninspired

me too! :biggrin: lol we are playing "Tea for Two" and Satin Doll in front of the school tomorrow...yeeehaaa
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2001, 01:01 AM

Reviews: 3
Uninspired

Played for 10 hours and got nothing out of it.

I'd say the problem probably lies in overworking yourself. *I am always quick to recomend a little time away from guitar to let yourself build up the desire to play again.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2001, 08:26 PM

Uninspired

watching videos of guitarists play always does it for me. and not just Vai and Satch! i find that the further a guiarist is musically from what you usually play (you still have to like him), the more you wanna write in the same vein or play something totally outrageous. hope that helps
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2001, 09:54 AM

Uninspired

Listening to new bands. Sometimes you just come across something you've never heard before and it just gives you new ideas...

Other than that, spending time away helps. You come back a bit fresher and sometimes end up playing some really cool stuff.

the other thing I find really usefull is to play with other guitarists and learn some of the stuff they've written/played. Something really easy for them (in my case at least) sometimes turns out to be really hard to play, as their style is just different. And you can pinch some of their ideas (not a bad thing, as you only incorporate the ones you like into your playing).

Good luck! Inspiration is always cool, but I find it tends to come along when i just don't expect it (mosly when I am miles away from a guitar...)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode