Update Us - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Update Us

It's been a while since we had a thread where people talked about their own bands/music, so go for it, just let us know if you're in a band, if you're working on music, if you're doing gigs, if you're jamming on your own, whatever.

I'm about to start practising a lot with a band I started a long time ago with some friends. We were originally a 5 person band (without a drummer, hadn't found one yet, still haven't, so we were two guitarists, a bassist, and two singers (one guy who can scream/growl and that's about it, and a girl who can sing really really well)), however we recently lost our second guitarist and the guy singer. Fine by me, neither were any use anyways, and barely showed up to practise cuz they thought they sucked (they did, but they didn't try either).

I figure I'm off to a great start, being from London, Ontario, the best thing you can do is start a heavy band with a female singer (Kittie, Scratching Post,...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 08:46 AM

Well, Where do I start? We sacked the old singer/Guitarist cos he informed us that the band wasn't 'His Main Priority' and he had a lot of things he'd rather be doing... Er...Bye then!!!! Unfortunately he decided he wanted to take 'His' songs with him.
So we have a new guitarist and I've taken over vocal duties... But we've only done one gig with this lineup because of the old singer taking around half our set with him, So at the moment we're writing like it's going out of fashion to get back up to a solid hour or so's worth of material.

The other thing is that for the first time in any band I've ever been in, I'm contributing MY songs... We have an EP out in about 4 weeks so I'll post some songs on here and you can tell me what you think!

J
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 09:36 AM

I'm currently working on a CD at my friends studio in NYC. He's a good friend of mine so I get free time.....but my progress is really slow since he is very busy w/ a lot of projects from other people. He's very talented professional, and he's doing all the samples, keys, drum n bass prog., himself. 2 potential songs done so far.....but a lot of stuff left to do.

Other than that, I just play at local open mics, when i have the time or whenever I feel up to it (since I'm really not that good)
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 03:50 AM

My SBL and I play every other week at my church (2 services). There's another lead guitar player I share duties with, so that's why it's every other week.

Some friends and I have been trying to put together something for coffee houses and the like. Mostly Christian covers, because apparently none of us can write. We throw in some 3 Doors Down and other stuff I'm not real familiar with. It's hard though because we all have families and busy schedules.

My church does a bluegrass/country church one Saturday evening a month . I'm toying with the idea of a rock n' roll church service once a month.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 04:01 AM

www.sodiumchannel.com

give us a listen!

have a show at the Spy in San Jose this saturday (9/20) - if anyone's local and wants to come check out a trippy-ish rock band with no virtuosic (but yet interesting) guitar work to speak of, email me: [email protected]$pam.sodiumchannel.com (yes, take out the no$pam bit) and i'll get y'all tickets. show for free w/ local bands, can't beat that

paz,

~A
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 05:57 AM

www.byaxis.com

Byaxis spent 14 months trying to find the right guys for our brand of technical metal. After 18 singers & a couple of guitarists, we finally found the formula. We recently played our first show to an enthusiastic packed house. Out of the hundreds of live shows I've played, that was the most rewarding to date. Tomorrow, we go in to record vocals & begin mixing our 3-song demo. Hopefully, it'll get done in the next few weeks so we can send it to a few label reps.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 06:14 AM

I'm in my band Intrinsic still. We have just finished recording our debut 5 track EP, I've only got half a track left to mix before it is finished. We're currently booking up a lot of gigs round uni campus and in town to promote the CD. Our website says more than i could say here really, so take a look.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 07:34 AM

I play bass in a System of a Down tribute band. Only we're heavier...

Hopefully things will develop into an original band where I'll be able to be 2nd guitar player.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 11:02 AM

Reviews: 1
I'm woodshedding and writing currently.
Last thing I did was a 2 month audition with a phenomenal band who ended up touring Asia with Michael "Angelo" Batio instead.
So now I'm a tad spoiled in that after playing with such great musicians, I'm holding all the bands I've auditioned for lately to that standard.
If they aren't playing in poly rhythms or able to improv an idea into a working song within one session, I don't want to waste my time.[southern evangelist mode] I have been to the mountains and I have seen the promise lands ! [/southern evangelist mode]

I'm working on some new stuff myself, mostly prog oriented, but its difficult to get any real quality time recording it. With the time I need to spend with the family now that we have a son, writing is hard to complete. (he's my 1st priority right now)

Bamm
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 11:41 AM

Reviews: 3
I'm slooooowly coming out of about a 2 year slump of not playing or barely playing. Reteaching myself a lot of theory/chords and technique. Learning fingerstyle the right way, getting into more jazz and old country/bluegrass. I doubt I'll have a band any time soon, besides the fact that I've been looking for about 4 years or more and can't find a halfway decent one in Milwaukee, there's also the lack of time between school and work. One of these days...

I'm toying with the idea of recording an album over the net... I want to do most/all the instruments at home and try to find a singer somewhere. I have no real interest in selling an album or anything like that, just want the sense of accomplishment and completion from finishing something that major.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 02:21 PM

Organical moved into a new rehearsal space at the beginning of the summer, but had a quiet couple of months while our bass player was in Europe.

But we've got a whole pile of gigs lined up in Toronto and area, including September 30th at the 360, October 9th at the B-Side and October 11th at Third Floor Reilly's for a Paragon Band Showcase.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 02:55 PM

Hmm...not too much, thinking of playing some coffehouse, open mike acoustic gigs witha friend of mine...but it's all still in the works
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 11:31 AM

Writing/Rehearsing and seeing where that goes and whether that would mean an end to my session status (one that is a good ending), and suld start working on my own stuff again and getting that moving.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 09:50 AM

Going to finish our new band's 5-track demo this weekend, and master it next weekend (indie/classic rock stuff) - 10 months work, but we do have 20+ songs written.

Then start working on the live set and start gigging again in in November.

Website'll be up once the demos are done.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 11:46 AM

got the old band back togerther with regular practises, and decided were going to be the best christian rock band in the world ever!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode