Vai.com, yo! - Page 2 - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 347 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 11:15 AM

I'd like to hear/read some of Steve's spiritual mumbojumbo on playing and life in general. In the end of the day, machines are boring but life interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 347 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 12:06 PM

Glad to hear someone else is taking over. Here's a few suggestions...

More video, preferrably recent G3 concert stuff and also behind the scenes footage, if possible. Also, *please* make the videos available in a format other than just quicktime.

The much anticipated "lesson" section!!!!! We want we want!

The whole website just really needs an update to keep things current. Personally, there's not much on there that I would mind seeing disgarded for all new content....just my 02 cents.
post #18 of 347 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 12:12 PM

The best of luck to you with the site.

We're all undoubtedly behind you. Some good quality video would be nice (things have moved on a lot since the last batch was encoded)

Agree with most of the earlier posts about letters, pictures, video guitar info etc. It would be good if the news section sent us an email when it's updated (like on this site)

Here's one I've not seen - Steve's assessment of his back catalogue (and the development of his technique) - a paragraph on each album and his thoughts on how he views them now.

I know you'll be flooded with requests but it might be worth taking a couple of approaches:

A Poll for what people want once you've looked through all the replies and decided what is and isn't realistic. This will at least give you a priority list of what we want.

A new thread after a few changes to the site asking what we think.

I'm very pleased Steve takes the site seriously and again best of luck, we'll all be very supportive of your new roles.
post #19 of 347 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 01:08 PM

Reviews: 5
IMO, Vai.com is a perfect way for Steve to get in touch with his fans and let them know what's new.

But, in order to keep the fans coming, it has to change more. A monthly update plugging an e-bay auction or a concert on the other side of the planet isn't enough to warrant people checking out the site frequently. Since you have access to Vai- how about:

* brief interviews about what's happening right now in Vai-land
* picking a "riff" or solo of the month and going through a lesson on it. I know lessons were originally planned, but they never happened.
post #20 of 347 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

It's pretty funny,

I met Mike Mesker last night, and we talked at length about the web site and what we should do for it within the next few weeks. Most of your suggestions were already brought up, so look forward to a lot of great things!!

There are also some things we hadn't discussed and I'm sure Mikey is perusing the forums checking them out. But, thanks for the emails and the forum suggestions. Keep 'em coming, they're G-R-R-R-R-EAT!!

anthony
post #21 of 347 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 01:58 PM

Hey Scab Cake!!
Whats up man!

I think what most people want in a Steve VAi website is

A/ They want to know what is he using in terms of equiptment.......As of now, the latest equiptment list is for FIRE GARDEN........we need more.....
And moreover, we need more DETAIL!! We would love to have a little section with short vid clips in which Vai is using his stuff, and talking about it, given some TIPS and strategies to get the strange and beautiful sounds he gets.

OF COURSE, THAT MEANS WE WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THE GUITARS AS WELL!!! You know, there are a few mystical items that Vai uses that are the talk of this forum....like the 'chrome-like' jem, and FLO with the sustainer.....detailed stuff on that would be great, and would end longterm debates......with lots of pics, and setup info.

B/ Behind the scenes VAI would be great!! What could be better? Perhaps a 10 minute instructional video that we could download (sort of like the 10 HOUR workout but LIVE) so we can see and hear Steve!! HOW INSPIRING!!!

A few outakes from the studio would be so cool.
All this stuff would help us get to know and understand Vai better.
post #22 of 347 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 02:02 PM

OH YEAH,
It would also be cool to have a section that delves into steve's creative streak in the studio.
We all know Steve is a monster producer, **** that is part of what makes him so special.....it would be cool to have some insight into his creative processes: ie what he would do, how he would start, the rules he follows (and breaks).....maybe not for any particular song....just general ideas.
post #23 of 347 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 02:05 PM

I would actually like to have a section where Steve talks about his past. Like maybe give us a recap of one of the early teaching sessions he had with Satriani. Maybe what kind of things Steve began learning and stuff. Maybe stick in a monthly giveaway too, like a free cd or t-shirt to the winner and like a huge yearly grand prize of a JEM giveaway or something cool like that.
post #24 of 347 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 04:11 PM

another vote for.........

more detailed guitar sections - what guitar used on what songs live and in the studio would be great

details on vai's equipement live (pictures) mainly concerning his foot controllers, would be awsome

photos, photos, and more photos.

thanks guys you are putting smiles on the dials on all of us by updating that site.
post #25 of 347 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 04:26 PM

I have a website that I have to basically dumb-down to the lowest common denominator because it's being viewed by the general public.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the vasy majority of those who visit vai.com are musicians who would like to know more than the average layperson would/could comprehend...or would even want to.

If you think that vai.com would suffer from 'over-explaining' certain technical details on the surface page, perhaps there could be a "Techno-geeks' link at the bottom of selected pages. Clicking on this link (at one's own risk ) would bring them down deep into the (pain) little nitty-gritty details.

I can give further explantion or an example if you don't quite get what i'm saying...

~Kenny
post #26 of 347 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 04:27 PM
MM

Hello Folks,

Mike Mesker here. I just wanted to say that I'm very excited to be working together with Anthony on VAI.COM, and I'm even more excited that we are all of the same mind on what content we'd all like to see on the site. Thanks for your suggestions - and please do keep them coming. As Anthony said, not all of them may be possible, but we'll do our best.

We're already working on some stuff we know you'll love and totally drool over.

Stay tuned!

MM
post #27 of 347 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 05:05 PM

Fantastic Mike... can't wait to see the stuff... you tease

-Ben
post #28 of 347 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 05:08 PM

Hi Mike,

Gabe from Jemfest here... welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. We're all glad the Vai site is in good hands.

Personally, I'd like details, details, details about the ongoing changes in Steve's guitars and details, details, details, about all the ones in the vault. Lots of close pictures and descriptions. I think that would rock!

We get most of our information from Japanese magazine covers and analyze every detail and pick apart whats new on his personal guitars... actually, it is pretty fun trying to figure this out though!

Take care,
Gabe
BTW - did Rich ever get the Jemfest 2002 T-shirts to you and Mark?
post #29 of 347 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 08:32 PM

Maybe some new merchandise (t-shirts, hats, etc) with the rather cool looking VAI logo that blesses the front of the "Secret Jewel Box".

Every month feature a lesson based on an existing Vai song (kind of like the monthly columns in Guitar World).

I think everyone else took my ideas.

In short...more VAI!
post #30 of 347 (permalink) Old 11-22-2002, 10:24 PM
OME

Reviews: 6
Vai.com

OK now my 2 cents

1-I think some vids of Steve in the studio developing a track from bottom to top. Wish that could be added to the upcoming DVD (pending enuff footage) *Please tell Steve not to overdub the DVD with studio work, I
want the original vibe of the live show*

2-More behind the scene stuff, Interviews, pros and cons of the G3 tour vs. solo tour.

3-A monthly Vai newsletter for the sight

4-Finally, short snippit of Vai tuning his rig, from guitar to EQ to FX to finish

5-I know there's a lot of vintage Vai fans, but I'd like to see something from his latest bag of tricks. (lessons to compositions)

That's it fer now folks

Tags
art guitar , baritone guitar , beautiful guitar , custom guitar , custom guitars , custom shop , despagni jem , dna swirl , fire garden , fret markers , guitar mag , guitar playing , ibanez custom shop , michael schenker , monkey grip , neck joint , pat metheny , pickup ring , pickup rings , production model , scarf joint , sounding guitar , steve vai , strat bridge , string tension , tremolo system , volume pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode