Vai ish tricky.... - Looking for some info - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Vai ish tricky.... - Looking for some info

Hi,
In that great big finale on G3 video, that piece after "answers", Steve throws in a big bunch of arpeggio's, using the tapping technique as well. Now, I'm not that interested in copying licks, but this one I like... One problem, I don't know where to start, it just goes to fast to see what exactly he does. Is there anyone who has figgured that out (I'm sure there is)? It surprises me that his right hand fingers don't seem to do that much...
Any input/help appriciated, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 10:17 PM

Reviews: 5
Vai ish tricky....

A good place to start is to watch that part of the video in slow motion. In the DVD version it's better because you don't lose image quality when in slow motion. If you have a good sound editing software, you can also record that piece in .WAV and reduce the time.

I have almost figured the whole piece, except for some tapping licks that are confusing my head. Does anyone knows if he taps alternating his middle and index (or ring) finger?? It seems that he does...
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

Vai ish tricky....

I've tried that, looking at it in slow motion. It doesn't help. I guess it should help when you also hear it in slow motion, but my vcr doesn't do that. As far as I can see, he does tap with both fingers..
It's too fast.. Way too fast.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 09:37 AM

Vai ish tricky....

He uses his middle and ring fingers....
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 11:16 AM

Vai ish tricky....

Hmm... it's good to know that... I've been practicing tapping with middle and ring fingers for 8 months... I guess it'll be easier now (well... I hope so! ).
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2001, 03:47 PM

Vai ish tricky....

I love that piece too. *It must not be too easy either, since it's omitted from the G3 tab book.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2001, 10:51 PM

Vai ish tricky....

Yeah, I wasn't too pleased with the G3 tab book.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-29-2001, 01:13 AM

Vai ish tricky....

I have the Tab of the CD version. *Its basically the same I think. *I can't remember the sight that I got it from. *I think it was the one that starts out with 10 rules or so about how to play just like Satriani or Vai (stuff that was making fun of trying to be Satch or Vai, like "Immitate, Don't Innovate."). *But if you clicked on a certain spot on the page it takes you to a Megaload of Vai and Satch tab. *Anyone know this site or if it even exists anymore? *Last time I was
there it was about a year ago.

Oh yeah, I don't think the part where he's tapping with both fingers is as hard as it sounds.

(Edited by floydJ at 1:14 am on July 29, 2001)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-29-2001, 01:18 AM

Vai ish tricky....

Oh yeah, the address is printed on the tab (duh!). *It's called Guitar Extravaganza and the address is http://www.geocities.com/sunsetstrip/5850/ * I think they've edited some of the rules since I've been there last.

Go to the Passion and Warfare section and it's listed as "G3 Ending" right next to the "Answers" tab.

(Edited by floydJ at 1:20 am on July 29, 2001)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-29-2001, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Vai ish tricky....

Thanks,
I've looked at it. The part I was looking for is about 2 bars below the bar which says "gradual slide", and looks like this:

E--t-p-h---16^9^12-t-p-h---16^9^12-t-p-h---16^9^12-|
B--16^9^10---------16^9^10---------16^9^10---------|
G--------------------------------------------------|
D--------------------------------------------------|
A--------------------------------------------------|
E--------------------------------------------------|

So this is supposed to be those little tapping arpeggio's
which I'm so interested in .
But.... When I play this (it isn't to difficult), it sure doesn't sound like what I hear on the cd or in my head...
I've experimented with accents and all, played it slow as well as fast. Hmm...
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-29-2001, 11:34 AM

Vai ish tricky....

vai certainly would never play that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

without having the cd, using those notes, perhaps vai would do somthing more like this. it would certainly be more in his style.

-----------9-12-16-12-9--------------------9-12-16 etc
9-10-16-------------------16-10-9-10-16------------
------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------

leading with his left hand (tap the '16' with your right hand)

this sound any better

Steve
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Vai ish tricky....

Uhm, sorry. I can't make that sound like anything normal. I think the problem lies at fret 9 on the e, fourth note. I don't hear it when I play it.

Doe you have alive in an ultra world? Pop in disk 2, head for track 6. *At time stamp 0:40
That riff is _exactly_ what I'm looking for. But it's so freaking fast, it makes my head spin... :loco:
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 06:26 PM

Vai ish tricky....

you have to hammer that 9th fret note with the first finger on your left hand, vai does this kind of ascending and descending tapping with both hands on a variety of tracks.

check out the tapping tutorial I did on this sort of stuff in the music theory and lessons section, the first tutorial goes through some left hand ascending tapping.

Steve
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Vai ish tricky....

Thanks, but I allready did...
I'm tapping myself silly these days
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2001, 06:40 PM

Vai ish tricky....

the bit from ultra world is that (or very similar) sequence but ascending, ie play it once there but then move the whole thing up three frets and play it again, without perfect pitch I cant tell you what note it starts on and I dont have a guitar handy.

give it a go though

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

dragonforce info for sydney show

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode