Vai songs - hardest to date? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Vai songs - hardest to date?

Some you you guys must try and play vai tunes if so what ones and what do you find hardest of all?
:shoot: :bash: :shoot:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 11:48 PM

Reviews: 5
Vai songs

"Tobacco Road", with David Lee Roth.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 12:00 AM

Vai songs

Hardest Vai song:

D: *All of the above....LOL

I dunno....that 7th song on Flex-able Leftovers isn't real difficult
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 01:07 AM

Vai songs

Painted Love

from Alcatrazz

I have to edit this!! I chose this cuz the last time i messed with this song was like 5 years ago! OOPS!!!
I forgot that i have improved much over that time:biggrin:

I just picked up the tab to it and played it almost effortlessly... WITHOUT a short scale guitar (on my GMC)

So, right now, i dont know what the hardest to play to date is???
I dont spend a whole lot of time playing other peoples music, mostly my own

scott

(Edited by vwall at 1:07 am on Sep. 11, 2001)
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 01:36 AM

Vai songs

Painted love isn't bad, you just need a short scale guitar!!!! hehe
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 02:43 AM

Vai songs

yeah, thats doable but man how cool is his techniques in that era!! incredible!!
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 03:43 AM

Vai songs

all of em really!

I dont like to play Vai though, I like everyone else Ive ever heard play Vai, sounds like a bad midi file. totally expressionless trying to nail the technique, Its tricky to do both and its not enough to do just one of em well.

just my .02

Steve
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 02:09 PM

Vai songs

Hear hear Devo! *I have a penchant for noodling around with FTLOG on my Les Paul during spurts of inactivity during band rehearsal, but I suck....no one sounds like Steve, but that's the point...he once told me personally, and I quote: *"Listen closely to the quiet realms of your inner ear, and your own creativity will tell you what to do".....so basically, innovate, don't imitate....

Abe
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 02:36 PM

Vai songs

the hardest earlier song I had trouble with was "Big Trouble". *That huge cascading tapped solo always fooled me. *I finally have it down.

Of his new material, I guess the hardest one I can play is "Juice"
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-02-2001, 12:19 AM

Vai songs

Why everybody can play "Juice" and I can't?? I think I have a real problem with this song!
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-02-2001, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

Vai songs

Not trying to start a big arguement here I find juice easy, well I can do it, and I think well. If you want real hard on the Vai frount try 'Kill the guy with the ball' that gives me nightmares and I have spent a lot of time trying to do it. However thats just me......
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-02-2001, 11:41 AM

Vai songs

Talking about difficulties...
The Audience is Listening sounds rather hard to grasp to me. Although SV's newer albums have lots of unimaginable blazin' shockin' ear-tearin' songs (aka solos - 8-) I've always considered the song very exquisitely [email protected]#&in` my ears - yeah, I wanna break me ears and fingers every time I listen to it, and I still can't get enough of it. (Sorry for the language - I love SV so much 8-)
Jibboom is rather hard to reproduce too...
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 12:30 PM

Vai songs

Hey Carlos, I said the same exact thing about juice on a topic a long time ago. I can't play it either! It seems everyone here can but me! The hardest one I've came across is probably Fire Garden Suite (because of that end sweeping part) and Juice. But then again, I've never tried anything from P&W except FTLOG and Blue Powder.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 01:20 PM

Vai songs

Quote:
Quote: from Big Job on 6:17 am on Aug. 2, 2001
Not trying to start a big arguement here I find juice easy, well I can do it, and I think well. If you want real hard on the Vai frount try 'Kill the guy with the ball' that gives me nightmares and I have spent a lot of time trying to do it. However thats just me......
i think I play this song very well now, however just being able to do something doesn't make it easy. *The things that Michael Jordan seemed effortless when he did them, but I doubt even he would say that he's athletic performances were easy. *He had just trained enough so that his skill made his performances possible.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 05:47 PM

Vai songs

I don't attempt many of his songs to be honest, I seem to have more joy with Joe's work.

But one I have spent a ridiculous amount of time on (so much so that it's now starting to annoy me) is Tender Surrender, basically because it is just the greatest tune I've ever heard.

I can sorta' do a passable job, but have to substitute some of the whammy work with other things as I find it way too difficult to nail i.e. bar 51 - 3min 6secs...(the pinched A and open G (beautiful bar work!)) I just cannot get it at all.

The legato virtually immediately following it I totally love and it's not too difficult if you put the practice in.
Bars 58 - 61 - 3min 32secs also invariably end with me tying my fingers up in knots, but I've ditched a few notes to ease it up a bit and it aint "too" noticeable"

So actually, come to think of it, I pretty much do a hatchet job...but it keeps me happy :biggrin:

It's quite strange how some people can find a certain piece difficult and others easy/vice versa.
I get so far in Juice, but then my head sort of say's "No Steve...don't even think about it you foolish man!"

I would never try "Kill the guy" to be honest.
I can hear how difficult it would be for me, but I also hate the damn thing, personally I'd have to say it's his worst tune to date, but that's a different topic

Steve

(Edited by ripl3y at 5:54 pm on Aug. 3, 2001)

Tags
alternate picking , david lee roth , fire garden , les paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode