Vaideology - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

5Likes
  • 4 Post By Formerly Given To Fly
  • 1 Post By pteropid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

Vaideology

Steve Vai has written a book called Vaideology: Basic Music Theory for Guitar Players

When it comes to music theory, Steve Vai knows what he is talking about, but he never talks about it! This has bothered me for years because there are very few rock guitarists that could write such a book. Vai has the credibility and the knowledge that could make people take notice. I do not know how effective this book will be but at the very least it will NOT be a collection of questionable theory websites with information a mile wide, an inch deep, and half of it blatantly wrong.

Anyways, I ordered Vaideology and it should be here in a month. If it turns out to be a lot better than nothing, it will be a useful source, which is good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 02:30 PM

Reviews: 21
Re: Vaideology

I'll probably get a copy.
To be honest I've only had time to keep up on maintaining physical ability. If I've worked on anything new in the last few years, it's more jazz-like phrasing.
I actually learned a bit of theory and modes and such over time, back in the day, but like any language if you don't use it the skill fades. I'd like to again be more conscious of what I'm doing in a literate sense. Maybe this book can help.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 01:44 AM
Contributor

I studied music 30 years ago so I'm really quite rusty now. It looks like a good reference text to read and refresh my memory, I think I'll probably grab a copy.
mike570 likes this.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 10:40 AM

I need to get a copy of this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:46 AM

May get a copy to delve into Steve's thinking style. I'm quite well-versed in theory from my university and jazz but I'm interested.

Tags
vaideology

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in