Vais EVO Experience - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

Vais EVO Experience

Hiya Guys - Just wondering if any of you had experienced the Vai tour using the Evo premium experience.
Had letter this morning offering package on UK tour and wondered if it was worth the time & money
$225 dollars for laminate, tour program and a pick. Oh!! and 20 mins sound check and ticket - WOW not!! LOL
I presume the Q&A session is more like a press conference. Did you get 'one on one' with steve or the guys???
Let me know please what your experiences were.
Thanks

Rock on!!
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 11:15 AM

Re: Vais EVO Experience

Everything I've heard about it says it's worth every penny. Do a search for reviews of the show here and on vai.com. I would have loved to have gone, but i had a time/money deficiency

~Kenny
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe
it's worth every penny.
And then some!!!
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 01:13 PM

It was worth every penny for me. First of all, I drove from Spokane to Portland to see the show (~400 mi/650 km), spent $151 on a ticket + the Evo package, got to meet Steve Vai, ask him a few questions (it was VERY unlike a press conference, more like a conversation) that part lasted easily an hour, during which THE evo was passed around, every one there (29 of us) got to hold and play evo for at least a minute (except for me and 3 others in the front row, mikey didn’t realize we hadn’t gotten to play her yet) then right before the soundcheck everyone got to have Steve sign something for them, and get a picture taken (I had him sign my pink RG550, someone else had a 7vwh), then we went straight to the soundcheck during which I got to finally hold evo. We stayed in the soundcheck for well over 30 minutes, long enough to listen through full rehearsals of “K’m-Pee-Du-Wee”, “Building the Church”, “Glorious”, “Lotus Feet”, and the acoustic medley. For “Building the Church” Steve and Tony MacAlpine practiced the opening tapping section (not only is it really fast, but Steve plays it on guitar at the same time Tony mirrors it on keyboards) at half tempo, turns out for the previous shows Tony had been playing some wrong notes and nobody had noticed it until the night before we weren’t kicked out until 5ish minutes before the doors opened. (There was also something really cool that Steve asked not to tell people about) On top of all that we got a bag with a really nice book, a tour pick, a signed Real Illusions CD cover (signed “Steve Vai, EVO #41”) and a 74 minute interview CD about the new album, the recording process, the gear (did anyone else know that he used an acoustic guitar, an acoustic electric, a fender 12 string and a sitar on “Midway Creatures”?) and the story, plus part of a song (Upanishads) and a full song (“The Boogie Man” the track he pulled from RI:R at the last minute and replaced it with “Under it All”) The concert itself was great, but I’m sure you’ve heard reviews of that on Vai.com
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 03:20 PM

Hi, I'm strugglin to decide about the EVO tickets,

I g/f is also a fan and wants to go to the show. My first thoughts were to get an evo ticket for me and a normal show ticket for her. But as I understand it we would end up sat in different parts of the theatre for the show.

She quite fancies going to the soundcheck and meeting Vai etc, but isn't a musician so we're not 100% about spending the extra, especially when it might mean someone that would appreciate it more might miss out.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
John P.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 05:01 PM

If you want to keep your girlfriend, you only have two choices: buy EVO packages for both of you, or give up yours too.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 05:33 PM

Lol, I think she'd forgive me.... eventually ;-)

I just don't want her to feel awkward - assuming that 99% of people who spend the extra are guitar players and most of the discussions will be about playing.

One advantage tho' : If there's any gear (eg evo) to have a go on , I could have her turn as well as mine :-)

Cheers
John P.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 05:37 AM

got my ticket booked for manchester today... me and the missus.. cant wait, hope EVO is there too....
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 06:18 AM

After last year's birthday present for my good lady - Gig and after show at G3 - guess there was only one way to go one better....

So I shall be at Evo experience in Wolverhampton

Pete
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 10:54 AM

If your are Vai fan you you should do it, it was well worth the money and experience. The one-on-one with Steve was so cool, plus watching the sound check. Well worth it.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 12:05 PM

It's worth every cent.

It started around 5pm, when we were let in for soundcheck. We watched Steve play through some "trouble spots" in several songs with the rest of the Breed on stage. The entire group spent time between songs signing things and speaking with EVO experience fans. Eric Sardinas also made an appearance to meet and greet us during soundcheck. We were inside the venue for soundcheck for about 2.5 hours, as I said, the entire time talking to Steve and the Breed. I saw Dave Weiner allow a few of the guitar enthusiasts hold his 7-strings and let them strum a few chords on his guitars. Tony, Jeremy and Steve were busy with soundcheck, but not too busy to treat us very well. They were soliciting our advice for what it sounded like standing in front of the stage, as well as how the songs they played for us were sounding.

We were promptly booted out of the venue just shy of opening time, but we were also let right back in first to get primo spots on the floor (there was no VIP seating in this venue). Throughout the entire show, I stood within arm's reach of Steve and Billy, with Dave W. just next to but a little behind Billy as well.

Immediately following the show, which lasted until about 1am, we were shuffled to a quiet area upstairs. Shortly after being gathered up there, at about 1:30am, Steve came up to greet us, apologizing profusely for the scheduling problems and lateness of his appearance with us. Despite the late hour, he spent about 90 minutes with us, taking pictures, signing autographs and answering questions.

I have never met a more personable celebrity. I have been a fan of Steve since I first saw him on MTV along side David Lee Roth in the "Eat 'Em and Smile" days - I was inspired to play guitar at that time. Some 20 years later, it's a great feeling to know that your heroes are everything you'd ever hoped they would be - and Steve even exceeded that for me.

I highly recommend that if you can go to it, you go. I took my wife with me to the EVO experience, and she was a Steve Vai fan simply because... she's spent the last 13 years listening to him because of me. We were both in awe of how well the EVO experience went, despite a seeming lack of planning, and at how accomodating Steve, the Breed, and Eric Sardinas and his group were. We had a great time.

-Roger
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 02:18 PM

Well at five minutes past nine, I got an email confirming my purchase of 2 evo experience tickets :-)

October seems a long time away....

John P.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 03:28 PM

John, have Steve sign your girlfriend.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpd111
John, have Steve sign your girlfriend.
Cheeky ;-)

I am debating what to get signed, but It will definitely be a guitar part.

Cheers
John P.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 03:53 PM
Val

I bought 2 EVO's for the Wolverhampton gig. I dont know who the other ticket is going to, but probably my girlfriend.

She isnt a musician either, but she'll still enjoy it. Besides it is MY birthday presant! Its the only way I can get away with paying for it!

Tags
acoustic guitar , dave weiner , david lee roth , guitar players , lotus feet , steve vai , tony macalpine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode