vai's guitar hold slide riff with one hand - any tab for thi - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

vai's guitar hold slide riff with one hand - any tab for thi

If you've seen vai live, you know what I'm talking about. he did it in Windows for the soul, a riff where you hold the guitar neck up around the high frets (20's) with your picking hand, and let the guitar slide down to the 1st fret or so while playing some notes in a tasteful manner- that sounds nice, not just anything.

Does anyone have any ideas for a what would sound good, or a video where he does this (in mp3) or tab or whatever?
I guess it's soething thats pretty easy to make up, but I remember vai making it sound good.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2001, 07:25 AM

vai's guitar hold slide riff with one hand

You sure it was his picking hand??

jc
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2001, 07:49 AM

Not quite sure what you men.

You sure he wasn't grabbing the neck with his right hand behind his left and sliding down with some legato with his left hand?

Steve
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2001, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

I'm sure of this one, he takes the guitar strap off his neck, and is freely holding the guitar just by the neck and if he dropped it, it would hit the floor.
He holds it by his left fingering hand and lets it slide through his hand toward the ground while fingering a cool descending riff. ITs awsome.

I'm sure someone out there has seen this, I saw him do it twice on the UZ tour.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2001, 10:58 PM

I think I know what he means, I've seen it too. *I don't have a tab though. *He does the thing where he just holds the neck and plays with his left hand during the Tender Surrender video I have. *That's not it. *I've seen him hold notes in the lower frets with his right hand while tapping with his left. *I don't think that's it.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-22-2001, 11:05 PM

well, you've lost me. *I don't have a gd clue of what you're talking about. *L* I'm sure whatever the hell it is it's very impressive, and I would love to see it someday. *I like what you said, Weenvai; it's not just a gimmick, it's used tastefully. *Again, I've not seen this technique, but Vai's earned a certain degree of respect from me over the years...I trust ya'...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 01:42 AM

I know exactly what you're talking about. *I saw him do it at the UZ concert. *He holds the neck straight up and down. *It's like he bars the neck with his right hand and plays descending notes with his left as the guitar slides toward the ground. *It was incredible! *But I have no idea what notes he played. *-Andy
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 03:23 AM

Reviews: 5

well, it makes sense that he'd be able to do it, since he has the sustainer. *Presuming he has it on, all he needs to do its fret the notes he wants. *it's even easier if it's a chord shape or an arpeggio.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 10:16 AM

I've seen him do things like that WITHOUT the sustainer. *GuitarOne magazine had an issue of the top 5 guitarists in certain catagories, and Vai got #1 in both Whammy Bar use (of course), and legato playing. *They said he could probably play an entire concert without picking a single note.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2001, 11:27 PM

Yeah, he did this on the DLR tour when they appeared in England way back when.

The crowd was hushed...

Then the crowd went wild.

I don't believe he was using the sustainer then.

He does two variations, one where he lets the neck follow a 30 degree angle (to the horizontal) and drags the axe across his body with the right hand on the bottom of the guitar whilst playing a descending run with the left.

The other is where he holds the axe at a high fret and lets it fall under its own weight whilst playing another descending run. It's awfully impressive, 'cause it's running the whole length of the fretboard, and that sort of stuff always sounds good (go listen to Eric Johnson!).
I'm assuming he's countering the guitar falling out of control with the friction from his palm on the back of the neck and his right hand controlling the speed at which the guitar drops.

Okay, at the risk of embarrassing myself like I've never been before, I've stuck an image up over at:

http://www.btinternet.com/~hamand/images/vai.gif

**I should warn you all that I cannot draw (yet) so any young children or pets or senior citizens should be made to leave the room for risk of trauma.**

Hopefully the image will explain what I've known Steve to do. Some of you may mean something else. The image on the left is before he starts (holding the guitar at a high fret) and the image on the right is the final position (holding the guitar at a low fret). The arrow shows the path of the guitar (straight down). I haven't shown his right hand holding the bottom of the guitar (near the strap screw)

Yes, I'm serious. The guitar slides down/falls and he legatos his way into the history books. He plays a lot of notes very quickly and it's dazzling to see and hear.

(Any artists wishing to sign me up for collaborative gallery exhibitions should contact me at the usual address.)

Cheers!
ham.

Tags
eric johnson , high frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode