Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Van Halen VIP Package

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  screamndemon69 
#1 ·
I have a student whose parents bought a pair of VIP tickets for the Van Halen show in Tampa, FL last week, tickets were $450 EACH 8O

They had front seats at the catwalk and 6 rows from stage. They had a meet and greet party before the show where they DIDN'T meet or greet the band :rolleyes:

They were told the band was behind schedule and couldn't be a part of the pre-show activities or any other chance to meet and greet fans for pics and autographs.

My student thoroughly enjoyed the show and came home with quite a few souvenirs. I personally was appalled they didn't get a chance to meet the band for what they paid.

Has anyone else heard of any of the VIP packages and what was involved or know anyone else that went to one in another city?

#6 ·
Thanks for FINALLY taking a piece of humble with your posts. No reason to piss off people and talk smack only because you don't like other peoples opinions or can't take the heat on a thread you started.

You seem like you can possibly be a nice enough guy and an enthusiastic enough player to be a cool addition to this forum, just don't spread negative crap if you got your feelings hurt. Forum members (or "snobs" as you so eloquently put it) were just having a little fun and not trying to be mean. I read alot of your posts over the past few days and most of them were needless negativity, this forum can do just fine without that.

There is alot of cool info and nice people on Jemsite, but as you were told before, "don't piss off the wrong people and shorten your stay".

I know you've been here over a year so there's no reason to act like a noob. I'll just chalk it up to getting your feelings hurt and possibly having a bad week.
Welcome to Jemsite, hope things go a little smoother from here. :)

regards,
~Bones

#8 ·
Sorry to rant a little, just felt like it was needed ;)

I am surely not wanting to seem like I'm starting another VH bashing thread by any means, I just was really shocked to hear what happened.

I understand the band having things beyond their control but imagine the poor fans that built up the event and what might be their only shot at meeting some of their idols only to be let down. The VIP ticket holders should have at least gotten a few EVH picks and shirts or other souvenirs to make up for it IMHO.

I am very curious to hear ANY stories from VIP ticket holders as to what happened during their experience and how things were handled as compared to what went down in Tampa on 2/18/08.

#9 · (Edited)
VH and EVH need to be bashed, right over the head too (with a Frankenstein guitar). Before I go off on VH, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt! It is possible that these "VIP Packages" are sold by the promoter or others involoved trying to make more $ thinking that the band will always show up, I doubt it because the band probably knows everything of whats going on! Maybe the band doesn't know how much these ppl are paying for the "VIP" treatment, doubt it however!!!!!

What I really think is that VH does whatever EVH says, pu$$ies! AVH is such a wimp, he doesn't stand up to his brother or maybe he is just a di@k too! I think they don't care unfortunately! WVH is just a young innocent part of all of this and his fathers bad habits!

EVH is a liar, he kicked Sammy out of the band with a poor excuse, than he kicked Michael Anthony out because, his excuse, "Michael was playing with Sammy" in-other-words he was trying to say that Michael quit or was too busy to play with VH!

EVH's time is over! The only thing he has is endless tours to make money, his future albums will never be good or will sell a lot. The last good song he wrote was "Without You" with Gary Cherone...and I say good, not great.

He hasn't improved as a player like a lot of others have, same stuff or worse. Final point, seems like he lost a step on writing!

Just to sum up, I am a fan of VH, EVH Dave and Sammy eras! I just don't like the choices he made and lies he spews! I actually think the band got better, musically, lyrically, tightness with Sammy, they grew. Than he messed by throwing out Sammy and Michael. What's next Valerie and his current GF for back-up vocals?!

The fact that people pay $450 mainly to meet the band and they don't show is completely appalling and PATHETIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#10 ·
I watched footage on youtube of the show in Tampa (and many other shows)and it was surely an entertaining event and semi-historical in nature to have Dave and Ed togther onstage. Kudos to Ed for seemingly staying sober for this tour as well, probably the best thing to be said about Wolfgang being on the tour. :)

However:
I did notice that Ed seemed to be slowing down in his playing by quite a bit compared to clips from say the mid 80's or the Hagar era. I also noticed that during his big solo section (on many clips) he lost steam half way thru an idea and slowly built back up speed to the next idea, basically like he was just noodling like one would when they are trying out gear at a music store.

I grew up on his playing and still love ALL the original VH albums (YES I said albums ;)), it's just a little sad to see his legacy being defaced by his greed (just saw an ad for EVH Celestion spkrs :rolleyes:) and fans being fleeced.

I do not want to be an EVH basher, I WANT to be a believer but it is getting harder and harder to stand by anything he says or does nowadays. If he can put out a NEW album with NEW songs showing he is still the player we have known and loved listening to for many years and not becoming a sad Van Hasbeen :(, then I will eat my words, until then I'll keep daydreaming of what the VH experience USED to be and cross my fingers for what could be.

#12 ·
This is the kinda info I wanted to hear, my student was under the impression that they would get a meet and greet. I didn't want to fly too far off the handle (too late:lol:) over things I wasn't sure about. It sounded like they were supposed to meet the band and even get a tour of the dressing rooms but they were told the band was behind schedule and couldn't make it happen. I took this that they were SUPPOSED to meet and greet but due to complications it wouldn't have been possible.

Now it sounds more like it would have been a perk rather than what they paid for. That clears a few things up and I'll feel better knowing that fans paid big money and didn't get jipped.

Thanks for the info. :)

#15 ·
Sadly enough, you are right Jim. :(

Tampa 2/18/08

Older clip, not sure of date, Ed in his prime - my FAV EVH clip. Compare the two and you can see how he hasn't kept up on his playing as you can see in the Tampa clip

His playing skills have slacked BAD over the years and now his demons seemed to have popped back into his life again. This is sad indeed. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.