Very specific technique question - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Very specific technique question

e|--------------p------------------p----------------12--------------------|
B|--------------a------------------a---10-12-13----------------------|
G|--------------u------------9----u---------------------------------------|
D|--------------s --7-9-10-------s--------------------------------------|
A|----------7---e-----------------e---------------------------------|
E|--5-7-8-----------------------------------------------------------|

Ok, I'm trying to play this sequence from a Sonata Arctica song but it is supposed to be played really fast and I'm having some problems. It's a four note-pattern as you can see but I don't know how I am supposed to play the last note of each repetition.

I obviously use index, ring, pinky for the first 3 notes but then I don't have time to lift my ring finger and put it in the fret below. At the moment I'm trying two different things:

1. bending my ring finger (ala sweep-picking) right after I play the second note in order to have it ready when the forth arrives. (this feels just as awkward as trying to lift it and I'm not getting anywhere near it)

2. Moving my middle finger forward to play the last note since I already have to move my hand in that direction to play the following pattern higher up the neck.

Now, the second option comes a lot more natural but still I'm not sure which of the 3 techniques I'm supposed to use since I'm still an amateur- beguinner guitar player. I don't want to be learning a technique which will help me only to play one song.

I usually use a very rigid one finger per fret technique and I get annoyed everytime a stretch or something like this makes me question my fingering. Maybe I am supposed to practice until I can raise my ring finger and put it in the fret below in time but the sequence is supposed to be played really really fast.

Anyway I'd like to know how you experienced guitarists would play this sequence and which technique would you recommend me to use.

THX for the help as always.

PS: After that the song goes like this and I have no idea how I am suposed to play THIS:

e|----------------p-------------------p-----12-----------------------|
B|----------------a-------------------a---------13-12-10------------|
G|----------------u-----9------------u-----------------------------|
D|----------------s--------10-9-7----s-------------------------------|
A|---7------------e-------------------e--------------------------|
E|------8-7-5-------------------------------------------------------|

If you guys can also give me a hand with this one it would be great because I simply dont' know what to do here. THX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 09:27 PM

After the 3-note ascending lick, I would use my ring finger to catch that lone note that's on its own string.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 11:15 PM

If I were to play it, I'd do a postition shift. I'd play the E note in the first lick with my ring finger, and then the e note in the second lick with my first finger, and so on.

This would be an easier way to set yourself up for the next position IMO.

For the descending licks, I would use my ring finger on the higher notes.

later dudes!
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 08:34 PM

I'd play it the ways Brewtal suggested, personally (method number 2 you mentioned for the the 1st one, and the ring finger to play the high note that's on the seperate string on the second) I can do the first one using my middle finger, but since you're going to be changing positions, it just make it more difficult. However...

I'd still work on doing it with the middle finger, were I you. That way if you ever wanted/needed to play a pattern like that in just one position, you'd be set.

-Waylander

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode