Video - Fo they help THAT much? - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Video - Fo they help THAT much?

I made a post asking about ways to improve my tech. a while ago.

The majority of people said get rock disipline from JP.

How much will it help? I noticed it is 50 from GC...is it worth 50?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 12:29 AM

Video

"Rock Robotics" is a decent tape. *For stuff you'll use more in your daily playing/gigging, I'd suggest any of the following:
•Any of the P.Gilbert videos (less than $50 ea.) *
•E. Johnson's "Total Electric Guitar" (less than $50)
•Either of Shawn Lane's videos (less than $50 ea.)
•Chris Impelliterri's "Speed Soloing" (just kidding. LOL)

JP's is good for exercises, but not really everyday playing and/or songwriting. *
Others will flame me, but I'll just say I'm glad I got a dub. :-)
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 12:49 AM

Reviews: 3
Video

I second Kevan's post...

Although the Impeliterri video is still causing irregular bowel movements.

I have the JP video, have yet to get anything out of it... even though I don't really like shred, I still find enjoyment and learn a good deal from all 3 PG videos.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 12:16 PM

Video

If you want to develop chops, get Frank Gambale's video. *For weird fusion theory, Allan Holdsworth's.

-Devin
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 12:48 PM

Video

The JP video is very much for technique and little things. I got it and haven't got that much out of it (maybe due to lack of VCR at the moment), but for technique it is good. For song writing/anything else it's not so hot...
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 04:21 PM

Video

The JP vid is very tecnique based. A handbook over the different tecniques... Get it... Its gr8..
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 02:46 PM

Video

The JP vid does what it says on the box ie it is good for chops development.
I got the second PG vid last week and was disappointed at its length, although it was fun. I don't get much out of just learning half a dozen fast licks though. The JP vid was more use overall.

I got the Al di Meola vid a long time ago. I don't get some of the jazz stuff , but he gives a couple of lovely performances-one of 'Orient Blue' which is fabulous.
I know Jay will disagree, but I think that man has soul.

Guy
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 04:40 PM

Video

The stanley jordan video is not so great he spends at least half an hour comparing guitar to various foods to a bunch of perplexed Danes (I think) I really just bought to see him play.

I thought JP's was good,

I really want to try some of the gilbert or Gambales chop builder though, here good things about them.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 04:45 PM

Video

Quote:
Quote: from Kevan on 12:29 am on Sep. 4, 2001
Chris Impelliterri's "Speed Soloing" (just kidding. LOL)
Quote:
Quote: from jay ratkowski on 12:49 am on Sep. 4, 2001
Although the Impeliterri video is still causing irregular bowel movements.
:rotf: :rotf:
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 06:03 PM

Video

I've heard the yngwie vids is all pretty useless when it comes to developing your guitar playing...

How about Eric Johnsson, is he that good? From what i've heard from g3, i dont really like his taste, neither in guitar tone ore playing style... But i've seen alot of his vids available in the local store...
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 06:31 PM

Video

I'm not the biggest EJ fan but I must admit he is a very talented and unique guitar player. If you don't like his playing style I wouldn't recommend his video; he goes in-depth with a lot of his own techniques. BTW I'm referring to the two-video set - The Fine Art of Guitar, which unfortunately has mediocre video quality and poor audio (think loaded guitar rig without a noise gate).

I would recommend it anyway; just to open your guitar mind up to some new stylings.

-Justin
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 06:38 PM

Video

I also recommend PG. if you must choose i would say intense rock 2. it's not only fast licks, there's a lot of really fine technique in there. For example little things like holding the pick with your thumb flexed, or picking harder or softer by getting the pick deeper into the strings as opposed to a heavier wrist motion. I must make special reference to his PERFECT alternate picking and the string skipping arpeggios.
Plus, he's a fun guy to watch!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 06:49 PM

Reviews: 3
Video

Quote:
Quote: from GuyCool on 1:46 pm on Sep. 5, 2001
I got the Al di Meola vid a long time ago. I don't get some of the jazz stuff , but he gives a couple of lovely performances-one of 'Orient Blue' which is fabulous.
I know Jay will disagree, but I think that man has soul.
Hehehehe... I honestly forgot that I owned this video... I of course haven't gotten anything out of it but laughs yet. *If you know the guy's work and like it, I'm sure it'd be a great video as he seems to be exploring mainly his own style.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2001, 08:23 PM

Video

Quote:
•Chris Impelliterri's "Speed Soloing" (just kidding. LOL)

JP's is good for exercises, but not really everyday playing and/or songwriting. *
Others will flame me, but I'll just say I'm glad I got a dub. :-)
What do you mena by whawt I qouted you on here, Kevan?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2001, 12:07 AM

Video

Yng- I was having a little fun with Chris' video. *He's pretty much a one-trick pony. *He has two speeds: off and 128th notes. *Fun to watch, but nothing I can really incorporate into my playing.

In regards to the JP video, I just found it...ummm...boring. *Don't get me wrong- the guy is a fantastic player, technique from here to Jupiter, and has more chops than a Bennihana. *I just couldn't find anything in there that sparked me to pick up the guitar and "play along with John". *I did, however, find a couple of odd things in the video:

•1. *He says that he has a tough time with "inside the strings" picking; meaning placing your pick between the G and B strings, then picking G, B, G, B, G, B and/or B, G, B, G, B, G. *Maybe it's because I've played "Hocus Pocus" too many times, but picking that way is quite easy for me. *Maybe I should send him the Focus tape or the Gary Hoey CD, or the Fourth Estate bootleg. :-)
•2. *The first time I watched the tape, I lost my sh!t when he did one run in particular. *In the "Legato Techniques" section, Example #20 (about 1hr. 15min. into the tape), is courtesy of EVH. *Well, EVH is the first person I heard do that run- check "Live Without A Net" (about 1hr. 15min. into the tape) (during "I Can't Drive 55"), when Ed blows a string on the 5150 guitar and switches to the Steinberger. *Bill H. and Greg P. know the run I'm talkin' about. :-) *
It just freaked me out a little to hear JP do an EVH legato rip at THE SAME TIME IN THE VIDEOS!. *
Creepy...

For $50, I'd rather get a P.Gilbert video and a Shawn Lane video. But that's just me.

Tags
allan holdsworth , alternate picking , electric guitar , frank gambale , gary hoey , guitar playing , legato technique , shawn lane , stanley jordan , string skipping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode