video-game music - Jemsite
Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! Covers everything from discussing musicians, bands, music, albums, videos, local jams & sharing multimedia links (no illegal file sharing please).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

video-game music

are there others here whio are as hooked as me on this kinda music?

I'm talkin' old school, though...
mega man, castlevania, street fighter and so on...

there's some pretty awesome melodies lying around in some of
these tunes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 09:53 PM

I liked the music from the original Doom, but on a 16 bit soundblaster... hearing it on more expensive sound boards, or MIDI, didn't seem as good as I remember it. But, maybe hind-hearing is ummm. 20/20... or something like that.

I also really liked the music from an obscure (but killer) Sega Genesis game called Herzog Zwei.

Those are the two that spring to mind more than any others whenever video game music comes up. I haven't seen the Herzog Zwei stuff anywhere and nobody seems to know what the hell I'm talking about whenever I bring it up...

edit: Heh, I said "killer" . . . yeah, I'm a rad time traveller from the '80s alright.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 04:48 AM

The Final Fantasy series has the best music, especially Final Fantasy 6. Brilliant game and brilliant music.
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrous Lepidoptera
I liked the music from the original Doom, but on a 16 bit soundblaster...
Ill second that

the original Doom music was a nice mixture of Metallica's Master of Puppets, No Remose, and Pantera's This Love... lol, i think there was another song there they "borrowed" from, but those 3 were there for sure
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 11:44 AM

Our drummer is really into video games and video game music. Right now he's on a mega man kick. I have learned that when I come in with a new riff, and he says, 'dude, that's so castlevania!' that he means it's good.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 11:54 PM

Here's a (supposed) fact that I read in a trade mag and somewhere else on the web...

More people are listening to music on X Box and Play Station than are listening to the radio or buying CDs. Last year X-Box beat NBC in the ratings.

Writing music for games... Hmmm. Something to think about.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

when it comes to writing music for games, i think we have a long way before we catch up with the japanese...

they're responsible for 95% of my favourite game-music...
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 05:33 AM

Best game music ever is the Turrican 2 Soundtrack by Chris Huelsbeck!

Regards

André

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
LOL - actually fettouhi, I've actually gigged the theme from the first Turrican game as an instrumental number in a set and its gone down great with crowds, I think folks kinda half recognise these tunes but don't know where from so kinda are more tolerant than if you break into some other instrumentals.

My fave is FFVII for music though, especialy the argeggio thing that opens the game. There's a forum member called Yoshi who'd doen a superb version of this little tune somewhere on the web I think Ultimate Guitar PAge or somethign like that was his site?
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 05:14 PM

Jeezus, Turrican 2!!!!!!!

I've been listening to it non-stop as of late, that title track is bliss. Rediscovered the Amiga classic Hybris also. Ghouls 'n' Ghosts, Bionic Commando, a whole bunch of mods from demos.

For me, you still can't beat Commodore 64 music, in original or remixed form (http://remix.kwed.org)

I need a girlfriend.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 08:53 PM

Steve Vai is on the Halo 2 soundtrack.

Apparently his kids barely took any notice of his career until he told them this.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 09:32 PM

Are you sure he's on it? Every time I look it up on Google, it says that the soundtrack was written by two composers (forgot their names) and Steve Vai always just "comments" on the soundtrack as a haunting and chilling soundtrack, or somesuch like. So did he play guitar in some of the songs? And do you have a link showing any information on it?
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-09-2004, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono
LOL - actually fettouhi, I've actually gigged the theme from the first Turrican game as an instrumental number in a set and its gone down great with crowds, I think folks kinda half recognise these tunes but don't know where from so kinda are more tolerant than if you break into some other instrumentals.

My fave is FFVII for music though, especialy the argeggio thing that opens the game. There's a forum member called Yoshi who'd doen a superb version of this little tune somewhere on the web I think Ultimate Guitar PAge or somethign like that was his site?

lol, i remember once i was fooling around with my guitar while a friend was turning on FF7 on the Ps.... i tried to follow the intro, then found myself 3 or 4 strings short
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 07:33 AM

Let us not forget the amazing soundtrack of the Last Ninja series on the Commodore 64 . An absolute masterpiece!!

Regards

André

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi
Let us not forget the amazing soundtrack of the Last Ninja series on the Commodore 64 . An absolute masterpiece!!
Ditto that!

And even Ski or die has some great "guitar" pieces.

Tags
petrucci model , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode